Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2006, 04:13   #136

Re: Blanket Smoking Ban

Beware: In my town, Kingston, On. Canada, we've had the ban 2yrs. Bars closed, servers and bar staff laid off (many of them single minimum wage parents) the economy sagging, US tourism way down. Put more effort into education of youth. E
cannuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-04-2006, 08:48   #137

There are not so many pub regulars (I mean every night of the week) who don't smoke, alot of pubs rely on the midweek trade (darts and dominoes etc) to keep their heads above water, and the pub regulars supply this midweek trade. I think that once you can't go out and have a fag with your pint, smokers will drink at home. On top of the ridiculous price of beer I think this is the final nail in the licence trade coffin and more boarded up pubs. As if the pub trade isn't hard enough.
firefighter753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 08:51   #138
God Member

No wonder G is right about it being a cheek. Ban it everywhere else but not on their own patch. Talk about one rule for us one for them. Stinks of "do as I say not as I do."

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 09:40   #139
God Member

To firefighters point about pubs loosing out I wonder if supermarket bosses are rubbing their hands together at the prospect of more booze sales and profit increase due to it. Darts dominoes and pool leagues are a great way to unwind and have some friendly compitition midweek and does bring in the pennies. Have we reached the stage were the trditional local could go under?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 02-04-2006, 10:12   #140
Resting in Peace

Heard short news item on the Friday after the smoking ban came in on the Monday ?? (not sure which day). Said had been a huge success, but not why .. maybe they just asked the people who were the non smokers in the pubs ? Think they should have waited until weekend before any assessment was done !!

Any obsevations from up there Spuggie ??
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 10:35   #141
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
Heard short news item on the Friday after the smoking ban came in on the Monday ?? (not sure which day). Said had been a huge success, but not why .. maybe they just asked the people who were the non smokers in the pubs ? Think they should have waited until weekend before any assessment was done !!

Any obsevations from up there Spuggie ??
There have been a few incedents of people sparking up but most just mill about outside very unhappy. Not because they have to smoke outside but because the law says you cant drink on the street so fag no booze booze no fag. There has been a drop in custom even at my local which because it has a beer garden they can drink and smoke there. Will take a month or two for any real effects to register but it aint looking good.

Its not just the pubs clubs cafes etc the bookies have the same problem. Here there is a marked drop as most people treated it like a cinima and stayed untill what they were watching had finished. This ment they might put on an extra bet or 2. Now they just pay and run.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 02-04-2006, 10:58   #142
Resting in Peace

I was thinking that too Spuggie about the booze and fags, now certain areas in Accy where you cannot take your drink outside .. would have to leave it to go and have a fag .. go back and hey, where my drink gone ??
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 12:00   #143
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
I was thinking that too Spuggie about the booze and fags, now certain areas in Accy where you cannot take your drink outside .. would have to leave it to go and have a fag .. go back and hey, where my drink gone ??
One way for the landlord to keep a steady level of booze sales. Wonder if it crossed Staggers's mind?

Then again someone could get pie-eyed at no cost bringing a new meaning to a very cheap night out (beware of students).

If a smoker out for a drink DONT FORGET YOUR WALLIES IF YOU DONT WANT TO LOSE YOUR DRINK.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 02-04-2006, 12:26   #144
God Member

Ah so why some lass leaves her drink on the bar, could be any bar, wnywhere, anytown, and goes outside for a fag, some guy slips date rape drugs in it.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 14:14   #145
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: Blanket Smoking Ban

This smoking ban is more about controlling the public’s activities than for health reasons. It also puts citizen against citizen and whilst we argue it out the government quietly gets about its business of doing what it wants and in general that is not what we want.

The next step a few years down the line will be the banning of private internal combustion vehicles for the masses on the grounds of passive breathing in of vehicle fumes and global warming.

We are galloping towards the Big Brother scenario or the way that the masses were depicted in Soylent Green and Blade Runner.
Old 02-04-2006, 14:20   #146
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty
This smoking ban is more about controlling the public’s activities than for health reasons. It also puts citizen against citizen and whilst we argue it out the government quietly gets about its business of doing what it wants and in general that is not what we want.

The next step a few years down the line will be the banning of private internal combustion vehicles for the masses on the grounds of passive breathing in of vehicle fumes and global warming.

We are galloping towards the Big Brother scenario or the way that the masses were depicted in Soylent Green and Blade Runner.
I agree with your first paragraph, but your second and third are the result of reading and watching too many sci-fi storys!
Next time you go to your Doctor ask for stronger tablets, (they work for me).

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 14:46   #147
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Blanket Smoking Ban

You may scoff and try to ridicule people Less but nonetheless the masses portrayed in those two films is where we are heading.

You may not agree with my view but I reserve the right to make it without some supercilious twit trying to put it down.
Old 02-04-2006, 16:29   #148
Give, give, give member

I would love to go back to Glasgow, and pop in the rough old dives up Maryhill Road, to see who has dared tell the Weegie hardmen they can't have a Woodbine with their pint of heavy.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 16:34   #149
God Member

Agree with that G. There will be some daft sod that will try it. Those that do might meet Malky.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 04-04-2006, 09:55   #150

I read on a website (thesite.org, I think) that the government had "not yet made a decision" about smoking in cars carrying passengers. If they decide that I can't have a fag in my own car because I'm giving someone a lift, sod the lift! How will this affect car pooling - another way they are trying to cut down on congestion and pollution?
And where on earth can you smoke in a hospital?!? Next time I go for a check-up at Queen's Park Hospital, I won't even be allowed to have one in their car park with my windows rolled up (giving me the maximum benefit from my very expensive fag!) I can see it now - all us smokers 'waiting' on double yellow lines at the entrance to the car park with our engines running so that we don't get a parking ticket. Two pollutants for the price of one
Someone beat me to the date rape drug in your unattended drink comment, but I will add that I see a few people leave their drinks with bouncers in pubs to go outside to make a phone call - what happens if all the smokers have to do that now? A bouncer babysitting 20 pints goes off to extracte a drunken troublemaker, and gets sued by the person who's drink gets spiked because he left in his care?
Insurance companies are going to make a mint too it seems.
AccyRach is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..