Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-02-2006, 15:50   #46
God Member

Re: Blanket Smoking Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
less cigrettes been smoked = less revenue for the government = higher tax on petrol
Dont forget income tax N.I and stealth taxes.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-02-2006, 15:52   #47

Quote:
less cigrettes been smoked = less revenue for the government = higher tax on petrol
Less money spent on 1/5 hospitalised with smoking related disease.
Phylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 15:53   #48
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
Dont forget income tax N.I and stealth taxes.
you mean i am paying for a big black airoplane as well
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 15:54   #49
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phylum
actualy the cost of treating smoking related ilnesses is a lot less than the revenue generated from the tax on cigrettes

the government makes quite a lot of proffit from smokers
Old 15-02-2006, 15:57   #50
God Member

Quote:
you mean i am paying for a big black airoplane as well
The only way to have a safe journey. If you are chase for smoking in the boozer you jump in one and woosh gone like a f##t on fire.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 15-02-2006, 15:58   #51
I am Banned

its just a pity they dont come down as hard on drug addicts , them sods dont even pay tax on their stuff

and they cause more harm to people than smoking ever will
Old 15-02-2006, 15:59   #52
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phylum

Hehehe, if 1/5 people are hospitalised with smoking related diseases, what are the other 4/5 hospitalised with???

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 16:01   #53
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie
Hehehe, if 1/5 people are hospitalised with smoking related diseases, what are the other 4/5 hospitalised with???
Drink problems

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 15-02-2006, 16:01   #54
Passed away 25-11-09

Nearly every pub licensee I know smokes!

This law is farcical, not to say that it's riding roughshod over human rights. The government has not yet made tobacco an illegal substance and, due to the amount of revenue it generates, they are unlikely to do so. They are, therefore, placing a ban on a legal activity.

Without commenting on the effects of "passive" smoking, a subject I believe is vastly overstated, I find the accepted medical stance that "too many people die/use up NHS Resources through smoking-related illness" nonsensical. Are we to understand that all non-smokers are presumed disease-free? I haven't noticed an absence of death amongst the non-smoking population.

The logical, fair and reasonable solution would have been a law which enforced non-smoking areas in all licenced establishments. I speak as a former smoker who gave up for purely economic reasons.
Old 15-02-2006, 16:03   #55
I am Banned

most cancers arnt even smoking related

mine wasnt
Old 15-02-2006, 16:07   #56

Smoker's in my experience, will always say , what about this or that? Always looking for something more harmful or disgusting to offer as prevarication. I am totally surprised pollution has not been used yet. Smoking bans are happening worldwide. It is not just here that the dangers of passive smoking are being, at long last, dealt with.

Oh, Roy Castle.
Old 15-02-2006, 16:07   #57
God Member

If passive smoking is bad then how come there is ajust as big or not bigger percentage of non smokers with chest illnesses here in Grangemouth? Does this mean I could fight to have the refinery and chemical industries banned from here because of this?

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 15-02-2006, 16:12   #58

Deaths caused by smoking are five times higher than the 22,833 deaths arising from: traffic accidents (3,439); poisoning and overdose (881); alcoholic liver disease (5,121); other accidental deaths (8,579); murder and manslaughter (513); suicide (4,066); and HIV infection (234) in the UK during 2002. 7 World-wide, almost 5 million die prematurely each year as a result of smoking. Based on current trends, this will rise to 10 million within 20 years. [8]

Curtesy ASH
Old 15-02-2006, 16:12   #59
I am Banned

non smokers are the lucky ones , not only do i have to breath in my own smoke but i have to breath in everyone elses and i might add other peoples smoke is not usualy the same brand as mine which can cause me throat irritation
Old 15-02-2006, 16:16   #60
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie
I always thought you were very intelligent lettie, the answer is obviously non-smoking related diseases

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..