Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-02-2006, 16:17   #61
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Blanket Smoking Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
most cancers arnt even smoking related

mine wasnt
Very tempted, but I am not doing bad taste anymore.
Old 15-02-2006, 16:50   #62
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
=Phlum: Smoker's in my experience, will always say , what about this or that? Always looking for something more to offer as prevarication. I am totally surprised pollution has not been used yet. Smoking bans are happening worldwide. It is not just here that the dangers of passive smoking are being, at long last, dealt with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phylum
Deaths caused by smoking are five times higher than the 22,833 deaths arising from: traffic accidents (3,439); poisoning and overdose (881); alcoholic liver disease (5,121); other accidental deaths (8,579); murder and manslaughter (513); suicide (4,066); and HIV infection (234) in the UK during 2002. 7 World-wide, almost 5 million die prematurely each year as a result of smoking. Based on current trends, this will rise to 10 million within 20 years. [8]

Curtesy ASH
Oh look, a non-smoker quoting something harmful or disgusting
What's up you running out of steam?

Statistics are like women; mirrors of purest virtue and truth, or like whores to use as one pleases. ~Theodor Billroth

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 16:56   #63

Bored more like. I know smokers are totally un-turnable. I am actually a whole lot worse than a non-smoker.

I'm an ex-smoker!
Phylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 17:01   #64
I am Banned

but a lot of ex smokers think its a bad idea and ex smokers are usualy teh ones on the largest soap box's
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 17:03   #65

I think one is stating the bleedin' obvious!
Old 15-02-2006, 17:09   #66

Quote:
Bored more like. I know smokers are totally un-turnable. I am actually a whole lot worse than a non-smoker.

I'm an ex-smoker!
Yes and some of them are like people that have just found religion are, very intolerant of other peoples weaknesses and views.

If we don't follow your banner then we must be completley wrong!

The fact that you are an ex-smoker will I trust be keeping you awake at night worrying because you have probably already harmed your own body, so if you do get the big 'C' you have no-one to blame but yourself!

Doomed I tell ye'
We're all Doomed!
Especially the smug ex-smokers.

Quote:
Phlegm= I am severley atopic and have allergic asthma.
Now we know about how come your asthmatic stop trying to blame others it's self inflicted!

Old 15-02-2006, 17:11   #67
I am Banned

bit of a thread wander..

anyone who decides to give up after this new law a handy tip is to get your nicorette stuff on prescription

a box of nicorette gum 105 pieces can cost over £10 per box

doctor will usualy prescribe 2 or more box's for the fee of a prescription which as far as i know is under £10

probably works out cheaper on patches and inhalers etc as well
Old 15-02-2006, 17:18   #68

Quote:
The fact that you are an ex-smoker will I trust be keeping you awake at night worrying because you have probably already harmed your own body, so if you do get the big 'C' you have no-one to blame but yourself!
I have not smoked in 20 years, therefore any damage done is now healed. If I get the big C, it will be because of my genes, I come from 4 generations of it.

Quote:
Now we know about how come your asthmatic stop trying to blame others it's self inflicted!
I have never once blamed smokers for my asthma/allergies. They started when I became pregnant. It is very common that they start then. Incedently, cigarette smoke does not affect my asthma at all.

I don't care that you smoke, not one bit. I do care that you get to do it around me. Thankfully, that won't be such a problem after next summer.

Last edited by Phylum; 15-02-2006 at 17:25.
Old 15-02-2006, 17:20   #69
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Not quite true.
This was about the air extractors which I heard someone talking about on radio t'other morning ... can only go by what the experts tell us, can't I ? .. that they now good enough to take away the smoke and eleviate this problem.
Sorry digressed onto perfumes Phylum, wasn't fair to throw in a Red Herring like that ..will try and stick to the thread.
To me, it's just this human nature thing about being 'grouping' animals; those that do and those that don't, those that are fat and those that are slim, some worship one God, some worship another, some drive cars that release more fumes then others, can always see in your workplace in a small way, clicks,etc., (but all aggresively opposed to the other).. could go on and on.
When this is resolved in which ever way .. another hatred of one group will take over against another .. 'wanna be in your gang syndrome'.
Tell ya' what though patio heater sales are gonna' grow, so go out and get one now folks, before there is a shortage or double the price !!
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 18:30   #70

Suppose it's not to bad if i'm on a pub crawl as i can have one in between pubs. But if i'm sat in one pub all night i gather i shall be making a lot of new friends, as we'll all be stood outside having a ciggie. Either that or give up.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 18:35   #71
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

They had extractors where I used to work. They did make a difference. With them running you could just about see the other side of the smoking room. The walls still turned brown and everyone who spend more than 30 seconds in there smelt like they had smoked 20 themselves.
Old 15-02-2006, 18:48   #72
I am Banned

I must say im glad its come about.
baby boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 18:52   #73
I am Banned

i recomend all pubs reduce the public bar area to as little as possible

convert the rest of the pub into one big room and class it as the landlords living room

if you dont like smoking stay in the bar area and teh rest of us can take our drinks into the living room

i wonder how long it will be before we are not allowed to smoke in our own houses if we have a party
Old 15-02-2006, 18:53   #74

Next week!.................
Old 15-02-2006, 18:58   #75

Quote:
Thankfully, that won't be such a problem after next summer.
That just about sums up why you started this thread in the first place, just so that you a venomous anti-smoker could crow about how the rights of one section of the community have been quashed, for the sake of a less tolerant part of the same community.

You and your sort couldn't just have public places that were for none smokers if there where none smoking bars I would respect that, but why should I and many, many more people have to suffer because you and your ilk won't respect the fact that if the landlord/owner allows smoking either tolerate it or go somewhere else?

Smoking for the over sixteens is still legal in this country, this and other such laws are a very cowardly way to restrict what in actual fact is my right.
I enjoy the company of a wide variety of people smokers and none smokers, if ever you should come to one of the accyweb meets I and all the other smokers will welcome you, though you might find it a little lonely if for your own sake we put you on a bench outside, we wouldn't want you to suffer from our smoke or even have to put you through passive thinking.

By the way, if you try really, really hard you might just realise that all this suffering that you are going through was caused because a few people several years ago thought that the earth was round and not flat, if they had minded their own business we might not be having this discussion.

Or maybe Sir Walter got the recipe wrong and we should be smoking potato's and boiling tobbacco?

Last edited by Less; 15-02-2006 at 19:00.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..