Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-02-2006, 19:35   #106
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Blanket Smoking Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie
Yes......... I am nit picking
You are awkward Thats like saying smoking does not kill you, cancer does or guns don't it's the bullets
Old 17-02-2006, 14:59   #107
Resting in peace

Fact. Revenue from tobacco = £10.5 billion per annum.
Cost to NHS of smoking-related diseases £1.5 billion.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2006, 15:02   #108
Resting in peace

Len reminded me of when I worked at a major London hospital. I went into medical records one day, and one of the men there was in the middle of the stacks, with a cigarette going. When I (politely) pointed out that it was a non-smoking area, and that anyway it was rather dangerous dropping hot ash amongst old papers, I was told "I'm the Unison shop steward. I can do what I F****** well like".

Wonder if the blanket ban will apply to him?
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2006, 19:53   #109
God Member

This law caused a small argument at the Asda taxi rank tonight. The rank is in the carpark area which is under the store and a women lit here fag and was promptly derided for it by a mother with her 2 kids. She said she did not want her kids inhailing the fag smoke as it was bad for them and asked for it to be put out. The other women was suprised as she did not consider it a public area and considering the carpark is underground the kids were more likley to suffer from the car fumes as oppossed to the fag. The mother was mad when the other women would not put it out and a "debate" started. Considering the amount of cars in the area I am suprised we didnt get carbon monoxide poisoning. It seems this whole argument is going to get out of hand.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2006, 22:07   #110
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
This law caused a small argument at the Asda taxi rank tonight. The rank is in the carpark area which is under the store and a women lit here fag and was promptly derided for it by a mother with her 2 kids. She said she did not want her kids inhailing the fag smoke as it was bad for them and asked for it to be put out. The other women was suprised as she did not consider it a public area and considering the carpark is underground the kids were more likley to suffer from the car fumes as oppossed to the fag. The mother was mad when the other women would not put it out and a "debate" started. Considering the amount of cars in the area I am suprised we didnt get carbon monoxide poisoning. It seems this whole argument is going to get out of hand.
Just don't move to Glasgow Spug, it's now illegal to smoke in public parks there.

With the wind and rain lashing in from the Clyde, I was always chuffed to little bits if I got my cigarette to light, whilst sat on Glasgow Green.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2006, 22:54   #111
Passed away 25-11-09

That's an example of the brain-washing of the British Public. The anti-smoking ethos started in the USA, where the combustion engine is King. They couldn't blame respitory diseases on cars and general air-pollution so the expendible culprit must be, exclusively, tobacco. When America sneezes Britain catches a cold so we had to follow suit. That's not to say that smoking isn't a health risk but it's not the only one.

The message has been hammered into the skulls of Britons so successfully that it has produced paranoia amongst many people. The mother who becomes hysterical if cigarette smoke comes within 6 feet of her child will, happily, push that child round in a buggy - at exhaust pipe level - for an afternoon's shopping.

I'm not anti-ban or pro-smoking but the whole issue has become irrational.
Old 17-02-2006, 23:08   #112

Lets just say, I was a 20 a day smoker. I got pregnant and stopped, immedately. It was the best thing I ever did, for the safety of my baby and me. I never suffered bronchitis again. I never suffered tonsillitis again. Both of which had haunted me.
Phylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2006, 23:14   #113
Resting in Peace

Whilst on holiday in Scotland about 10 years hence, with son and 2 of his mates, went to visit one of those 'wood' farms. After enjoyable tour of same, went for welcome brew in their tea cafe .. should have grown up hippy years ago, entered with his family. His face lit up with delight as he spotted me.

The cafe was not busy and he purposely sat on the next table to give him an opportuntiy to come over and ask me to 'extinguish' me fag as wasn't 'very nice'. He was wearing the most gaudy, mis-match .. course pure wool waistcoat, ever seen adorning a male body and I told him I found this garment 'not very nice' and sure that my retina was taking an overbashing of variegation.

Ok .. had to find some sort of answer to his bullying in front of the lads who were slipping slowly under the table. That's how mad things will become when all bullys have finished with the easy targets. Don't laugh folks ! Wait and see
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2006, 23:29   #114
Resting in Peace

Just wonder how long it will be before there is the first case of harassment brought against a woman like this for complaining if you are smoking in an open space. .. it will happen eventually.

Whilst working in Virginia for a short time, lady I worked with was sat in one of the National Parks (barbecues all ablaze) and somebody there asked her to put out her cigarette (not because of forestry laws, etc) ... and she DID ! 'cause lovely lady and she didn't want any trouble. Think I may have reacted in a slightly different way.
Old 17-02-2006, 23:55   #115

if this ban does stop people from buying fags think of all the extra tax that will have to be found,what will be the next thing to be outlawed?
carolef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2006, 01:33   #116
land of hope and glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolef
if this ban does stop people from buying fags think of all the extra tax that will have to be found,what will be the next thing to be outlawed?
whhat! a person on here thinking with a brain you shock me carole, i didnt think there was anyone on accyweb that could think ! well done lass, 200.000 people supposed to give up in the first month ! the tax loss on that would be incredible, and for the people that follow after all the job loses ? equates to a huge amount of money not going in the coffers at gov...hq,so who has to pick up the bill.................you non smokers take a deep breath and pay higher taxes....pmsl
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2006, 02:11   #117

i don't smoke never had an so it doesn't bother me really in a fact but
i would welcome a smoking ban my honest truth
doozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2006, 02:25   #118

just to add i have recently worked in sweden were the same ban was in place with no problem an now i'm currently working in lockport in new york state usa an the same ban here an the people just get on with it so it the same all over just get on with it
doozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2006, 03:00   #119

It's not only the smokers and non smokers who are involved in this subject.. think of the publicans who are trying there best to keep there ships afloat. How many 'local' pubs have we seen go under in the last ten years? i can name a few..Antly, woodnook, queens, Peel Park, kings until recently, same with the nags head, New brewery, white horse Huncoat, Royal oak and the globe on bb road.

The amount of tax they make on alcohol should have been ploughed back into decent extraction units, subsidised by the govt.

Do we all remember after black wednesday...17p on our cigs...5p on our pint, road tax, inheritance tax, capital gains, and the dreaded POLL TAX!

This govt is not far different from the 'rule with the iron fist' approach we had to struggle and live with in the dark days of the eighties!
spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2006, 09:50   #120
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by doozer
just to add i have recently worked in sweden were the same ban was in place with no problem an now i'm currently working in lockport in new york state usa an the same ban here an the people just get on with it so it the same all over just get on with it
Won't have any choice Doozer, but might as well get our moans over with first.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..