Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By maxthecollie
  • 2 Post By Gremlin
  • 2 Post By Morecambe Ex Pat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-04-2015, 10:32   #1
God Member

Bogus caller?

A tall well built black man with a shaved head buzzed the door entry system to my flat. I was in bed at the time so instead of going to the entry phone I opened my bedroom window (ground floor flat) and asked him what he wanted. He said he had come to read my gas meter. I advised him that the meter was OUTSIDE and told him where.

I have online access to my fuel account - waited a few days then looked - no meter reading has appeared on my account, I suspect he was up to no good - my meter reading is not due for another month and the legitimate meter readers have never needed to be told before.

I have reported it on the Crimestoppers website.

This happened in Clayton.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-04-2015, 12:38   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Bogus caller?

Gas and Electricity meter readers know addresses where there are outside meter cabinets. I hope no one has been conned by this chap.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 19:01   #3

Coincidentally I had a black man knock on my door in Baxenden late last week. I don't know what he wanted because as soon as I saw the ribbon around his neck with his "identification" card handing from it I told him in no uncertain terms that I never bought or subscribed to charities at the door. Thank you. and quickly shut the door.
Lucysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 19:19   #4
Beacon of light

There have been a number of door knockers recently...but they have been promoting a replacement boiler scheme......why do they choose to arrive when I am up to my elbows in pastry...or suds...or worse.....am on the loo?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 09:35   #5
Senior Member+

I tell them I never buy anything from doorstep salesmen.
Studio25 likes this.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 10:36   #6
Senior Member+

I installed a security camera which has a wi fi link to my router.
If someone knocks or rings the door bell I quickly look at the app on my phone which links to the camera.
If I don't recognise the caller I don't even bother going to the door.
A few months ago I saw either the jovos or Mormons about to push a leaflet through the letter box so I crept up to the door below the window level and held the flap shut.
I think they got the message.
The downside was that I had a struggle to get up again.
Old 02-05-2015, 15:33   #7
Full Member+

I work from home and my office overlooks the driveway, I cannot be seen from the drive so I just ignore them if I want. I take photos of the suspicious looking ones as we have quite a few elderly neighbours. I did think of installing a small LED matrix screen at the front door which could display an appropriate message at the touch of a button.
My favourite escapade to date was shouting down to an insistent sales type of person, who kept knocking, telling them that I had gone out.

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..