Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-10-2013, 15:06   #1
Senior Member+

Bold Venture Lime Company

I know it's a long shot, but does anyone have any info on the above Company. My wife's grandfather is on the photo and we have no information about it.
old photo.jpg
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-10-2013, 15:28   #2
I am Banned

Re: Bold Venture Lime Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
I know it's a long shot, but does anyone have any info on the above Company. My wife's grandfather is on the photo and we have no information about it.
Attachment 35180
Bold Venture Farm at Altham Frank ????
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 15:29   #3
Senior Member+

No it seems to be a predecessor of Ribble Cement
Old 20-10-2013, 15:33   #4
Senior Member+

Was it in Chatburn?
Owned by this guy -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixon_Robinson
DtheP47 likes this.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 15:35   #5
Senior Member+

"Dixon Robinson (1795-1878) Honour of Clitheroe, Blackburn Lawyer and major landowner / employer of Clitheroe and Chatburn. Built the Pendle Hotel. Owned the Chatburn Horrocksford Lime Co, Bold Venture Kiln, Limeworks and Quarry from 1837 to his death in 1878. Lived at Clitheroe Castle."
Copied from here -
Clitheroe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 20-10-2013, 15:43   #6
Senior Member+

Thanks Dave that's a start
Old 20-10-2013, 16:37   #7
Resting In Peace

I would say the photo is 1940s judging by the lady's outfit.
Old 20-10-2013, 16:43   #8
Senior Member+

Christine's grandfather is third from left and we want to know if anyone else has any relatives on there. Her grandparents both passed away in the 1970's and she has been left all this from her mother who passed away in 2002. We have just got around to trying to find out anything we can about were he worked . I have sent a copy to the Clitheroe Advertiser and Castle Cement to see if they can shed any light on it.
Old 20-10-2013, 16:44   #9
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
I would say the photo is 1940s judging by the lady's outfit.
Have you factored in that the Ribble Valley is at least 10 years behind us here in Accy Susie?

Welcome back btw
maxthecollie and susie123 like this.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 19:03   #10
Senior Member+

"In the late 1930's, the Horrocksford Lime Co Ltd at Clitheroe, Lancs became an associated company of Ribblesdale Cement. This company produced dry, tarred and bitumous limestone, cold asphalt and ground limestone. In later years the Horrocksford Lime Co amalgamated with the adjacent Bold Venture Lime Co Ltd which was a quarry owner and later became a supplier of dry limestone and other products produced by Horrocksford Cement Co Ltd."
Copied from here -
The National Archives | Access to Archives

Name changed to castle cement in 1990 -
CASTLE CEMENT (CHATBURN) LIMITED. Free business summary taken from official Companies House information. Free Alerts.
Old 20-01-2015, 14:40   #11

To set the record straight, Bold Venture Lime works was first opened in 1780 with small kilns. later bought by the Dixon Family who built new kilns and ran it until the mid 1940s. It operated 4 lime kilns and 1 gas retort. Up until 1924 It supplied Chatburn Village with gas. The new kilns were built alongside the railway and are still there today, except they are bricked up for safety. In the 1940s the demand for lime was going down and the kilns were in need of major repairs. New gas fired kilns were the up and coming thing. So lime burning ceased.
Horrocksford Lime Co. Which was started in 1899 on Horocksford Hall land(the top side of Castle Cement Works by the level crossing).in Clitheroe. It built a new works and plant in Bold Venture Quarry Chatburn in 1948. It produced Tarmac and dry stone chippings. In the 70s it became part of a company that also owned Ribble Cement. The works closed in the 1990s and is completely gone, even the ground where it stood has been quarried away. The office in the picture was in,1860s the station Masters house when the that was the end of the line. Later extended to Hellifield. Email me for Picture of The new 1948 Horocksford works and Picture of Bold Venture lime workers with all the names of people included. G.T.
cashman likes this.
hoverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 15:46   #12
Senior Member+

There may be summat on the company in Mike Rothwell's book on the Industrial Heritage of the Ribble Valley. The library will have a copy
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 15:54   #13
Senior Member+

That caught my eye- Dixon Robinson lived at Clitheroe Castle!
I thought it had been a ruin since the Civil War. Can't find anything else on people living there.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 22:56   #14

Clitheroe castle was bought by the people of Clitheroe in 1920 as a war memorial. The house was used as council offices. Now its a museum.
hoverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 12:17   #15
Senior Member+

zzzzzz.jpg

Thanks to Hoverman for this info

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..