Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-12-2009, 11:32   #1
Senior Member+

Boxing Day traditions

Public holiday

Boxing Day is traditionally celebrated on 26 December, St. Stephen's Day, the day after Christmas Day. Unlike St. Stephen's Day, Boxing Day is a secular holiday but is always on 26 December: the public holiday is generally moved to the following Monday if 26 December is a Saturday. If 25 December is a Saturday or Sunday then both the Monday and Tuesday may be public holidays. However, the date of observance of Boxing Day varies between countries.

In Ireland—when it was part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland—the UK's Bank Holidays Act 1871 established the feast day of St Stephen as a non-moveable public holiday on 26 December. Since Partition, the name "Boxing Day" is used only by the authorities in Northern Ireland (which remained part of the United Kingdom). There, Boxing Day is a moveable public holiday in line with the rest of the United Kingdom.

The Banking and Financial Dealings Act of 1971 established "Boxing Day" as a public holiday in Scotland. In the Australian state of South Australia, 26 December is a public holiday known as Proclamation Day.

Calendar
In the countries that observe this holiday, 26 December is commonly referred to both as Boxing Day and as St. Stephen's Day, no matter what day of the week it occurs. However, in some countries, holidays falling on Saturday or Sunday are observed on the next weekday. Boxing Day cannot be on a Sunday, that day being the officially recognised day of worship, so traditionally it was the next working day of the week following Christmas Day, (i.e. any day from Monday to Saturday).

In recent times, this tradition has been either forgotten or ignored. Most people consider 26 December to be Boxing Day even when it falls on a Sunday. The last year, 26 December was called Christmas Sunday in the United Kingdom and Canada was 1993. The last time the date fell on a Sunday (1999), it was known as Boxing Day.

If Boxing Day falls on a Saturday, then Monday 28 December is declared a bank or public holiday. In the United Kingdom and some other countries, this is accomplished by Royal Proclamation. In some Canadian provinces, Boxing Day is a statutory holiday that is always celebrated on 26 December. In Canadian provinces where Boxing Day is a statutory holiday, and it falls on a Saturday or Sunday, compensation days are given in the following week.

If Boxing Day falls on a Sunday, then Christmas Day would be on a Saturday, so in countries where these are both bank or public holiday, the Statutory Holiday for Christmas is moved to Monday December 27 and the Statutory Holiday for Boxing Day is moved to Tuesday December 28.

If Christmas Day falls on a Sunday, then Boxing Day is on Monday 26 December, and no Royal Proclamation is required. In such a circumstance, a 'substitute bank holiday in the place of Christmas Day' is declared for Tuesday 27 December, so the Boxing Day holiday occurs before the substitute Christmas holiday.

Legality
Although the same legislation—the Bank Holidays Act 1871—originally established the bank holidays throughout the United Kingdom, the day after Christmas was defined as Boxing Day in England, Scotland and Wales, and the feast day of St Stephen in Ireland.(Note that a 'substitute bank holiday in place of 26th December' is only possible in Northern Ireland, reflecting the legal difference in that St. Stephen's Day does not automatically shift to the Monday in the same way as Boxing Day.)

Last edited by Atarah; 26-12-2009 at 11:41.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-12-2009, 11:48   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Boxing Day traditions

I'm glad that's sorted I can go down the pub for a light ale now

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2009, 13:46   #3
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Public holiday

Boxing Day is traditionally celebrated on 26 December, St. Stephen's Day, the day after Christmas Day. Unlike St. Stephen's Day, Boxing Day is a secular holiday but is always on 26 December: the public holiday is generally moved to the following Monday if 26 December is a Saturday. If 25 December is a Saturday or Sunday then both the Monday and Tuesday may be public holidays. However, the date of observance of Boxing Day varies between countries.
Miste alchristy Atarah, what the eck have you been
on, don't tell Katex she'll want some.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2009, 19:08   #4
God Member

i thought it was called boxing day because by the time it gets to the day after xmas day everyone is ready for knocking the crap out of each other

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2009, 19:30   #5
God Member

nah Boxing day means.....SALESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!! and SHOPPPPPINGGGGGG !!
Old 26-12-2009, 21:22   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Miste alchristy Atarah, what the eck have you been
on, don't tell Katex she'll want some.

Retlaw.
He has been drinking at Mancies local.

Mind you it aint a bad bit of info though.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2009, 21:45   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post

"He" is a she.
Old 26-12-2009, 21:47   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post

Sorry Spuggie, but
Atarah is a female,
and doesn't go in pubs that often
only to Accy meets.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2009, 22:17   #9
God Member

Reading that provides a hangover to all of us who didn't have the good fortune to get one.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 00:33   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

well i'm just back from celebrating Boxing Day, a great night wi johnny solo,even risked a couple of pints, now thats what i call a celebration.
Old 27-12-2009, 09:32   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
well i'm just back from celebrating Boxing Day, a great night wi johnny solo,even risked a couple of pints, now thats what i call a celebration.
You mad fool you cashy two pints
Old 27-12-2009, 10:20   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I knew there was some where I wanted to go just couldn't remember

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 11:13   #13
God Member

Boxing Day in our house means filling the car up with loads of boxes from all the tat the kids got for xmas........
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 12:08   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
"He" is a she.
I stand corrected.

SORRY Atarah

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..