Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2005, 00:15   #31
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!
Re: Brain washing the kids

We recently had a vacancy for a job at work and there were 22 polish applicants, 7 from the same address in Accrington. Come on Britcliffe just how many so called asylum seekers have we taken in Hyndburn because it was certainly kept very quiet.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-02-2005, 00:21   #32
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss
We recently had a vacancy for a job at work and there were 22 polish applicants, 7 from the same address in Accrington. Come on Britcliffe just how many so called asylum seekers have we taken in Hyndburn because it was certainly kept very quiet.
i find that disgusting they are either very cramped or fiddleing benifits

just you see they will join 6 council houses into one for them
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 00:33   #33
Resident Waffler

It doesn't bother me how people choose to dress. It would only bother me if they objected to the way I dress or insisted that I should dress their way if I didn't want to.

I don't mind that people speak different languages, but I do feel irritated when everything has to be translated in preference to them learning the native language of this country because we have never done that in the past. Other immigrants have adapted and made the effort to learn English.

I do think that if people choose to live here then they should respect the laws of this land and live by them.

I don't think that people who incite hatred towards any section of the population should be tolerated let alone supported by the Welfare State, whoever they are.

I didn't see that black hatchback and I'm glad I didn't. I like to think that on the whole most people around here live in harmony. If the police saw that then they should have put a stop to it.

I do remember a hooha about a petrol station serving "Asians only" but the petrol station which my late husband and I used was run by an Asian gentleman and he let us in to fill up ahead of "strangers" whatever their race because we were regular customers so I suppose everyone had their favourite customers and dealt with them differently.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 01:48   #34
I am Banned

dont get me wrong i dont hate asians but i get very annoyed when the few who intentionaly speak another language either to conceal what they say about you or use it to act as though they need help with english in either the welfare system or to hinder police investigations etc

it has never been a coulour thing as far as i am concerened as i have indian , nigerian and chineese friends and a few pakistani infact i get along with almost anyone but when i see the likes of that guy with the hooks for hands and his followers i just think well if you dont like us that much then F off out of my country

in every comunity you get bad apples and i know you cant judge a race by a few bad apples but how long do you think a white driver of a car saying KILL BLACKS would have been allowed to drive around or keep a sighn outside his shop saying WHITES ONLY

see what i mean by what i put earlier i am only expressing my view yet i sound like a racist , government has classed so many things as racist that it has almost become illigal to speak your mind even if you speak the truth

it just seems that you are pretty much untouchable by the law if you are either an imigrant or one of the minority races because as soon as anthing is done the word RACIST is used which in my eyes i see as translating to yes ime guilty but i will make your life hell if i dont get away with it

if you dont agree with me that is your choice which is somthing you wouldnt have if the likes of that guy with the hooks for hands was in charge
Old 06-02-2005, 02:19   #35
Always EVIL within us

Well said Chav!
Most people feel the same and that includes those of a different origin. What a pity the likes of Ifty no longer take part in our discussions. His views are valued and the thoughts of the Asian community are what is missing in these debates.

One of the problems is that Asians are very slow to get involved with the community. I have on three occasions gone to my "step-daughter to be's" school to watch an activity that they have obviously worked hard on. The school has a 90%+ Asian attendance and yet I find that only 1 or perhaps 2 Asian parents turn out for their children. Likewise, I joined a local W.M.Club in Willows Lane and despite being in an "Asian" area, all the members were caucasian I know that Muslims do not drink alcohol (mostly) but it is a social event prevelent in the U.K, and a good selection of soft drinks are on sale!

The same applies to the Accy web, We have members from all over the globe that contribute to the site.....but where are the Asian voices??

The point I am trying to make is that the Asian community seem to want to keep themselves isolated rather than trying to intergrate with the British way of life and the P.C. Brigade are telling US that WE are wrong and THEY are right!!
Old 06-02-2005, 07:41   #36
God Member

Years ago I used to work with a chap who was born in the Ukraine. He was taken by the Nazi's at fourteen years of age and put to slave labour for IG Farben in Germany. At the end of the war his own country did not want him to return and offered to execute him as a traitor if he did. So he was offered asylum in this country and came to work in the coal mines in Accrington. On his arrival he was told in no uncertain terms that since he was in Britain he was expected to speak and behave as we do and if he did not like it he was at liberty to leave. He worked hard, joined the Union, married and had a family and you would not now know anything about his origins if it were not for his surname. And, I might add, a nicer person you could not wish to meet. I am sure that many of the post war refugees could repeat a similar story. Indeed as a Catholic I went to school with the children of many refugee households, so I know this to be true.

All of those children were taught in ENGLISH, were expected to communicate in ENGLISH and were not allowed dispensations of any kind to accommodate their ethnic origins. They were treated no differently from any other child and they prospered in exactly the same way as the rest of us.

I see no conceivable reason why it should it be any different now? I have no argument with providing a safe haven to people who are fleeing persecution. It is something that we should always be willing to do and marks us out as a civilised society.

I do however have the gravest reservations and I object strongly to having the nature of the society into which I was born and grew up being forcibly changed to accomodate the fads, fancies and often barbaric behaviour of people who are merely on the make, people who have no wish to integrate and who do not wish to be British, except when it suits their purposes.

The Government should bring an immediate halt to further immigration into this country. It should take steps to identify, locate and deport any person who is here without leave. And it should put in place the legal requirement for all persons of foreign extraction to be proficient in the language within one year of entry.

Is that racist?

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 06-02-2005 at 19:20.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 10:23   #37
I am Banned

has anyone here tried emigrating to australia or america it is nearly impossible to meet their criteria and you are not entitled to a penny if you manage to get in and in american you have to swear an oath of allegance to america before you get anywhere

funny how we can not get in to countries we collonated yet people can come here and bleed us dry so easily
Old 06-02-2005, 16:35   #38
Beacon of light

Yes Chav........you are right about the immigration system in Australia and America.
I frequently go to Oz and a couple of years ago we accidentally overstayed our visa...the travel firm we booked with failed to tell us that a multiple entry visa required you to leave Oz after 3 months and then go back in......we stayed the whole 6 months and were interviewed at the airport by a senior immigration officer and now we cannot get electronic visas for Oz......we have to pay £60 and fill in an 11 page document to request a visa....... this request can be turned down and you don't get your money back. I do think they have the right idea about immigration though......only let in the people who will be financially able to look after themselves and have a skill that is wanted in that country.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 16:46   #39
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
I see no conceivable reason why it should it be any different now?
It shouldn't. It should be exactly the same. The current situation is madness. It won't be long before we are the persecuted minority but will anayone defend us? I doubt it.

I think a multicultural society is great. We can all learn new experiences and look at the benefits - we've got some great restaurants here thanks to immigrants from different countries bringing their native cuisine with them. (Sorry, I can only think about food at the mo because I'm being denied a chocolate bar.)

Diversity is brilliant but since the introduction of Political Correctness the world seems to have gone totally mad. We can't even enjoy our differences for fear of being branded racist.

I was just commenting to Busman the other day on the subject of some friends where the husband and wife are of different racial origins and their children are various shades of brown. Someone who doesn't know them, on seeing the children for the first time asked me if it is their father or their mother who is black and I had to actually think about it for a few minutes because I know them both so well that it doesn't register with me what colour they are.

Having come here from foreign parts they both have rich differences to share with the rest of us (like some really great recipes ) but it just illustrates that if people integrate into society then the racial origins become less significant and they settle into the way of life here like everyone else.

Old 06-02-2005, 19:11   #41
I am Banned

Angry Re: Brain washing the kids

Oh no wish i hadn't read this thread now...grrrr cos im having to restrain myself. TBH the government care more about being mugs to other countries than their own!! As much as i sympathise with the plight of other countries problems n realsie some do need help.........BUT come on!! why do other countries n the west not help why is it us all the time. Like someone else mentioned we cant look after our own at times the NHS is crippling under the strain, genuine claiments of the benefits system for genuine reasons are pressurised to get to work and severely critised, n yeh those who claim benefits that shouldnt should be bollocked n made to work. Some of our own live rough on the streets n cant access council housing - therefore cant access any income to survive there is a housing crisis thats gonna get worse over the yrs. What about our own child poverty in relation to this country....education under pressure etc etc!!............

Nevermind the thousands of assylum seeing this country in gold unfortunately like everything the genuine get bowled over for the many that abuse this countries system abroad. Likewise could we go to the US or Austrailia or anywhere n claim benefits, free housing, money, cant legally be made to work, vouchers n donations of free stuff for your free house?!?!?............ .... Nope! You have to prove n fund yourself to be allowed to be considered for visa. This country has gone all PC, anything as innocent can be classed as racist/abusive/facist, u only have to look at Robinsons Jam....n say no more lol, but anything said against our own is ok tho racism doesnt seem to officially happen the other way round does it n im sorry the race card is thrown far too much too easily nowadays b4 it gets a point b4 u cant say anything but agree no one has the right to be abusive or hurt anyone for any reason but at what point is that to be defined?!? will it get to a point that u cant have an opinion at all for fear of being offensive in any small way?!?!?
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 19:51   #42
Senior Member+

What happened to "When in Rome..."???

As for Sharia style mortgages, they meet the requirements of those who choose not to do as the Romans do...

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 20:23   #43
Beacon of light

It appears to me -and I will stand corrected if I am wrong. that there is a system of reverse racism......where everything that pertains to the indigent population must be ditched in favour of those new comers.......look at Christmas, how that has been debased, yet the other week there was a great banner in one of the shopping centres not too far from here proclaiming 'Happy Eid'.......now if I should find this greeting offensive do you think anyone would take notice of my offended feelings????? Don't think so somehow!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 20:31   #44
I am Banned

if i was to go on holiday and marry i would face a very hard time getting my new wife to be allowed to live with me in the uk even if i could support her

however asians send their daughters to pakistan to marry and they have no problem bringing their new husbands and usualy their mother and father who will of course go straight on benifits

i know this to be true because i once did some work at a nursing home and talked to a young asian girl who was just about to quit her job and go to pakistan to marry then bring her husband home

does anyone else see the channel tunnel as just a more efficient way for europe to get rid of their crap...?
Old 06-02-2005, 21:53   #45
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
It appears to me -and I will stand corrected if I am wrong. that there is a system of reverse racism......where everything that pertains to the indigent population must be ditched in favour of those new comers.......look at Christmas, how that has been debased, yet the other week there was a great banner in one of the shopping centres not too far from here proclaiming 'Happy Eid'.......now if I should find this greeting offensive do you think anyone would take notice of my offended feelings????? Don't think so somehow!
You are wrong Margaret. It isn't "reverse racism".

It IS racism. Pure and simple. Treating one section of the population differently simply because of their racial origins is RACIST. It matters not who is on the receiving end of it.

We've had it drummed into us that only black/asian/jews etc can suffer racist abuse and that the only ones who can be racist are the caucasians (Is that still an acceptable term?) This is total nonsense and it's about time we had some equality.

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 06-02-2005 at 21:55. Reason: butterfingers

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..