Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2005, 13:50   #1
God Member

Brain washing the kids

From todays Evening Telegraph:

Walking in shoes of refugees

SCHOOL pupils in Blackburn and Darwen put themselves in the shoes of refugees and asylum seekers to learn more about their plight.

Throughout February, Year 8 pupils from local high schools are taking part in the Escape to Safety project, developed by Lancaster-based charity Global Link.

The exhibition takes the form of a multi-coloured trailer, divided into seven zones. Each zone marks the various steps someone fleeing their country would have to endure in a bid to secure a new life.

Pupils boarding the trailer are given headsets to listen to accounts of genuine asylum seekers. Footage of detained refugees is also played on monitors, and relevant newspaper headlines adorn the trailer's interior.

It is part of the citizenship curriculum, which gives pupils an understanding of society's legal and human rights responsibilities, diversity and the need for mutual respect and acceptance

The trailer visited Beardwood High School and its pupils said the journey into the unknown was a rewarding one.

Adam Creedon, 12, from Mill Hill, Blackburn, said: "As I walked through the zones it felt as if I was actually there. I wouldn't like to go through what they have to."

Haider Hussain, 13, from Holland Street, Blackburn, said: "It showed me that not all people are as fortunate as those living in this country. It felt like going on a journey and I would not like to be put in the position they are.

"I think there shouldn't be a limit on people coming into this country as I have learned how valuable life is."

Nourjahan Booth, 12, from Foxhouse Street, agreed.

She said: "I think asylum seekers should be allowed here in any number as we would not like it if we had to go through their experiences."

Other schools taking part are Darwen Moorland, Darwen Vale, Witton Park Business and Enterprise College, Our Lady and St John Catholic Arts College, and St Bede's RC High School, along with pupils from Newfield and Crosshills special schools.

In March, around ten pupils from each school will take part in a mock Earth Summit.

The event, organised by Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council and the charities Global Education Preston and Global Links Lancaster, will be held at Jan's Conference Centre. International groups. such as Amnesty International, will be invited to take part.

Well, I always though kids were sent to school to learn their reading, writing and arithmetic.....instead, their heads are filled with this garbage. I really don't want to waste time commenting further on this, but surely the powers that be within this education authority must realise there are greater priorites than this?

It'll be coming to Accy next......
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-02-2005, 15:07   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: Brain washing the kids

Oh there is so much that I could say in response to this but I just daren't get started. It's too big an issue.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 15:17   #3
Resting in peace

I would hate to have to leave my country or else face persecution or death. That is what GENUINE asylum seekers do. What the majority do is to come here for an easier life. Not on.

What no-one seems to notice is that under the RULES for seeking asylum (yes, there are some, but can't remember whether it is the Geneva or the Hague Convention) one of the most important is that the asylum seeker must seek asylum in the FIRST FRIENDLY NATION whose borders he or she crosses. Otherwise the right to asylum is forfeit.

So - what happens? They ignore Germany, France, etc, because they have harsh regulations, they put asylum seekers in camps, which is nowhere near as good as being given a Council house and benefits.

Unfortunately, if you stood outside a school and handed out leaflets pointing out the cost of asylum seekers (bogus and genuine) to every single person in this country, also the fact that we cannot house and provide health care for our existing population, you would be branded a fascist. Apparently fascism now consists largely of telling it like it is.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 15:58   #4
I am Banned

dont wanna be mr unpopular but...

we got our own probelems and cant cope with our own needs

while i was in hospital an asylum seeker was in the bed next to me for a checkup on his bowel which i have nothing against

what i do have a problem with is that a very nice scottish guy across from me had waited so long to get a bed and a slot for an operation his cancer had spread to his stomach , liver and everywhere else and was basicly nothing could save him it had spread too far

sorry if this sounds racist but i am a great believer in taking care of your own before we take care of others it sickens me to see how many people we let into this country because they want an easy ride

as for our kids been filled with this rubbish it is disgusting i would rather see my kids get an eductaion or maybe instead of this rubbish let kids have an extra hour a week doing sport so we wont do so bad at it in the future ( rowing and running arnt real sport lol )

if they percist in this rubbish and it gets to my kids schools my children will have my blessing to walk straight out and come home
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 16:20   #5
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Pendy is right in saying that there are rules. Unfortunately these rules are largely ignored both by the asylum seekers and the system. A friend of mine recently did an extra shift at a local GU Clinic (special or clap clinic for those not into abbreviations) She commented that this was predominantly a HIV clinic filled with Eastern European asylum seekers coming for treatment. As discussed in a previous thread it costs a fortune per year to treat a HIV positive patient on the NHS. Our numbers have risen again this year to roughly 54,000 HIV positive people in the UK. I wonder how many of those are asylum seekers.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 17:13   #6
I am Banned

or more to the point how many people have they passed aids onto ..?
Old 04-02-2005, 17:21   #7

Quote:
sorry if this sounds racist but i am a great believer in taking care of your own before we take care of others it sickens me to see how many people we let into this country because they want an easy ride
Not at all to me i am also a great believe in taking care of our own first, totaly agree with you, i have never to my knowledge racist in anyway (although we all have first impressions and stereotypes set in) but i do not believ that we just keep our doors open to imigrants when as a country we cannot look after ourself, i believe that we should stop this then sort our country out and then start to help others but thats just my opinion and as this is a forum i thought i would share it.
Old 04-02-2005, 17:26   #8
I am Banned

you know all these do gooders and govenment bodies have labeled so many things under the word racist they got us watching what we say so carefully that we cant say a thing without been branded a racist lol
Old 04-02-2005, 21:41   #9
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

When it comes to asylum seekers and immigrants I'm very happy when I'm called a racist for airing my views.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 22:59   #10
Always EVIL within us

Can anyone please explain to me just WHY there are so many Eastern European asylum seekers?

Most of the states have broken away from "mother Russia" many have become democratic or are trying to be, Ethnic cleansing hasn't been mentioned on the news for quite some time ....and they are clammering to join the European Community.

So exactly who is threatening these people and who is being threatened?
Old 04-02-2005, 23:07   #11
Resident Waffler

............and referring back to Pendy's post, why don't they stop in the first country they enter where they are safe? Why do they travel through several countries to get to this one?

I'm not against helping people and I'm not against immigration in general but I do object to people who come here simply because they've learned that it's a free for all. The worst of it is when we end up supporting someone financially and giving them a free house etc and the thanks this country gets is for them to incite others to violence against the hand that feeds them.

In contrast I know of someone who came here to work, works hard and is financially self reliant but going through all the right channels to apply for a close family member to be permitted to come here and facing brick walls.

It doesn't seem to be an even playing field.

Old 05-02-2005, 05:43   #12
God Member

>>Can anyone please explain to me just WHY there are so many Eastern European asylum seekers?<<

The Government were warned that we would be flooded with economic migrants from Eastern Europe when the EU expansion took place last May. But Both Blair and Straw dismissed those concerns as racist propaganda.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:19   #13
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
>>Can anyone please explain to me just WHY there are so many Eastern European asylum seekers?<<

The Government were warned that we would be flooded with economic migrants from Eastern Europe when the EU expansion took place last May. But Both Blair and Straw dismissed those concerns as racist propaganda.
its labour who started all this off in the first place the last time they were in power

i dont like what the tories did when they were in power but labour in my opinion is to blame for all this in the first place and now they are back in power they are making it even worse

perhaps labour know the only way they can keep in power is to bring new voters into the country..?
Old 05-02-2005, 08:55   #14
Resident Waffler

Economic migrants are not the same thing as asylum seekers and it's about time the government learned the difference. We can't just decide we'd fancy living in a richer country and expect it to support us when we got there and yet we are supposed to welcome people here under the same conditions.

Contrast that with the situation when people here were wanting to adopt Romanian orphans and were told (by Romanian authorities as well as those here) that it was much better for them to stay in their own country and for that country as a whole to be assisted.

I probably don't explain myself very well but I hope you get the gist of my meaning.

There is a limit to the number of people who can live here. It's a small island and sometimes feels like we are bursting at the seems. Pretty soon we'll be the economic migrants.

Old 05-02-2005, 09:33   #15
God Member

Quite right Willow. If the shoe were on the other foot and it was us English who were seeking to become either asylum seekers or economic migrants, I wonder what sort of response or welcome we would get. Well, I don't wonder actually, I know!

>>Nourjahan Booth, (good old fashioned english name that, Nourjahan!)12, from Foxhouse Street, agreed...."I think asylum seekers should be allowed here in any number." <<

I'll bet she does! Then when they are in the majority it will be easy to alter the state religion, change the country's name to Britain-istan and introduce Sharia Law.

What time is the next boat to New Zealand?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..