Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-10-2008, 10:10   #76
Give, give, give member

Re: Brand/ross 'prank'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
He didn’t resign. He, like that other Muppet Ross, was suspended by the DG at around noon today.

Perhaps your little radio needs windin' up, so you can be as up to date with current news items as the rest of us apparently are.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-10-2008, 10:36   #77
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Perhaps your little radio needs windin' up, so you can be as up to date with current news items as the rest of us apparently are.
They get an absolute fortune for clockwork radios on Bargain Hunt, Rindi
Old 30-10-2008, 10:59   #78
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
I wonder how many of those complainers actually listened to the show and haven't just jumped on the bandwagon, after the excessive media coverage!
Definitely blown out of proportion, it is non news.
I do agree with this, I didn't listen to the show, mainly because do not like either of these 'celebrities' (they would have only to have added Chris Tarrant and would have been my worst nightmare ). Definitely influenced my thoughts that it should never have been broadcast in the first place, infantile and unfunny in my opinion and to invade Sach's privacy in this way was out of order.

I do think too, that with listeners, there is a love/hate thing going on here with this duo, and most people are possibly influenced by this for complaining. Just heard is coming up on Jeremy Vine later, and he has quoted out of 1,600 (?) E-Mails, 40% were supportive of them but, of course, they are the people that find them funny in the first place.... the rest of us never will.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 11:51   #79
God Member

I caught the recording in youtube, I actually found it funny. I must just be the spawn of Satan. Obviously they went too far and I think Brand's actions since the incident should be commended. Watch the video apology and resignation half way down the page at http://http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/en...nt/7699054.stm.
Personally I think, even though the actions of Brand and Woss were not right, complete blame should be on the people who commissioned the airing of the recording. Thousands of recordings on both TV and radio must contain offensive material to certain people and thus don't get aired. People who believe that the buck stops with Ross/Brand are somewhat misled.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 11:54   #80
Resting in Peace

Just heard a point there that only 2 complaints had been received after the show, was not until the Mail published this story the following Sunday, that the public reacted, and complained en masse.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 12:17   #81
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Brand/ross 'prank'

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Sorry to disappoint you but after hearing that the two miscreants had been suspended I had to take my accumulator to the local radio shop to be recharged and thus I was unable to listen to the wireless again until I got it back the next day.

I read the claim that Brand had resigned as a face saving statement by Brand.
Old 30-10-2008, 12:30   #82
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
I caught the recording in youtube, I actually found it funny. I must just be the spawn of Satan. Obviously they went too far and I think Brand's actions since the incident should be commended. Watch the video apology and resignation half way down the page at http://http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/en...nt/7699054.stm.
Personally I think, even though the actions of Brand and Woss were not right, complete blame should be on the people who commissioned the airing of the recording. Thousands of recordings on both TV and radio must contain offensive material to certain people and thus don't get aired. People who believe that the buck stops with Ross/Brand are somewhat misled.
Sorry, bad link. Brand's apology & resignation is half way down the page for those who want a fuller picture rather than to slate the two when you haven't heard the recording in question or seen the apology: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7699054.stm
Old 30-10-2008, 12:31   #83
Apprentice Geriatric

Exclamation Re: Brand/ross 'prank'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
I wonder how many of those complainers actually listened to the show and haven't just jumped on the bandwagon, after the excessive media coverage!
Definitely blown out of proportion, it is non news.
Wonder no more Roy. I for one did not hear the broadcast and reacted to the news item on the Beeb.

In fact I have only ever seen Brand once on “Have I Got News For You” and wasn’t impressed with “A” his appearance and “B” his contribution to the programme.

The only reason that we have this ‘alternative’ comedy is that these ‘alternative’ comedians couldn’t hack it in the real comedy world so had to invent their own talent less version. Sadly some members of the public followed each other like sheep just like the fabled citizens who praised the kings new clothes, when there were none.

Ever since Ross appeared on our screens I have seen him as nothing more than a foul-mouthed child, mouthing off for effect and then feigning injured innocence with that “who me?” look on his face.

I make a point of not watching or listening to his broadcasts.
Old 30-10-2008, 12:40   #84
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Wonder no more Roy. I for one did not hear the broadcast and reacted to the news item on the Beeb.

In fact I have only ever seen Brand once on “Have I Got News For You” and wasn’t impressed with “A” his appearance and “B” his contribution to the programme.

The only reason that we have this ‘alternative’ comedy is that these ‘alternative’ comedians couldn’t hack it in the real comedy world so had to invent their own talent less version. Sadly some members of the public followed each other like sheep just like the fabled citizens who praised the kings new clothes, when there were none.

Ever since Ross appeared on our screens I have seen him as nothing more than a foul-mouthed child, mouthing off for effect and then feigning injured innocence with that “who me?” look on his face.

I make a point of not watching or listening to his broadcasts.
Then you have no right to make any assertions about Brand's or Ross' position in the BBC based or their punishment on the issue in question, only on your opinions of their talents, or lack of as it were.
Old 30-10-2008, 12:56   #85
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: Brand/ross 'prank'

Quote:
Then you have no right to make any assertions about Brand's or Ross' position in the BBC based or their punishment on the issue in question, only on your opinions of their talents, or lack of as it were.
Sheeeesh! The arrogance!

You might class yourself as a god member but that doesn’t mean to say that you can tell me what opinions I can and cannot publish.

I have every right to publish what I choose within the forum rules.
Old 30-10-2008, 13:04   #86
God Member

It isn't arrogance jambutty it's simple common sense. How can you have an opinion on a subject or an issue when you haven't bothered to actually look at the issue in question? By all means ramble on about their salary or their perceived lack of talent, but your opinion on the actual issue has no weight. You proclaim Brand's apology as one merely enacted to save face, yet you haven't read or seen the apology. That is the mark of an arrogant person: one that must have his/her ramblings heard and taken seriously despite owning no knowledge of the subject he/she is rambling about.

Be facetious and bring things like the god member status in all you wish, it won't mither me, it just makes you look childish. Just for the record, as you well know the 'God member' status is automatic, not entered by myself. So I couldn't possibly 'consider myself as a God member'. Fool.

Last edited by shakermaker; 30-10-2008 at 13:08. Reason: typo
Old 30-10-2008, 13:20   #87
Apprentice Geriatric

Exclamation Re: Brand/ross 'prank'

Quote:
It isn't arrogance jambutty it's simple common sense. How can you have an opinion on a subject or an issue when you haven't bothered to actually look at the issue in question? By all means ramble on about their salary or their perceived lack of talent, but your opinion on the actual issue has no weight. You proclaim Brand's apology as one merely enacted to save face, yet you haven't read or seen the apology. That is the mark of an arrogant person: one that must have his/her ramblings heard and taken seriously despite owning no knowledge of the subject he/she is rambling about.

Be facetious and bring things like the god member status in all you wish, it won't mither me, it just makes you look childish. Just for the record, as you well know the 'God member' status is automatic, not entered by myself. So I couldn't possibly 'consider myself as a God member'. Fool.
Did I say that I have not looked at the issue in question? Your presumptions only serve to back up your arrogance. I said that I reacted to the news report. Since then I have listened to various news items and read the comments and the transcript that have only served to reinforce my initial view.

Nor have I said anything about their salaries. But now I will. They were overpaid and the BBC should be taken to task for offering them.

And I did not proclaim Brands apology as a face saver. Just the fact that it was reported that he had resigned and I assumed that his resignation was a face saver.

The only fool here is someone who jumps in half cocked, spouts his piece without checking the facts first. It’s called arrogance.
Old 30-10-2008, 13:34   #88
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty

I make a point of not watching or listening to his broadcasts
That, Sir, pretty much bellows that you haven't looked at the issue in question. You haven't looked at the original sources. You're going off second hand information. The transcript, for example, is condensed and edited. The full recording is easily accessible. You haven't viewed the apology, which contains his resignation also. If you had viewed it then you'd know that claiming the resignation was a face-saver entailed tarring the apology with the same brush. Reacting to the media's interpretation? Perlease. It speaks volumes that only two complaints were issued after the recording was aired and thousands more after the NON-STORY hit the rags.
Old 30-10-2008, 15:53   #89
God Member

I am wondering whether the BBC deliberately let this go to air uncensored.
This has provided them with a perfect excuse to get rid of an overpaid employee

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 16:04   #90
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Brand/ross 'prank'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I am wondering whether the BBC deliberately let this go to air uncensored.
This has provided them with a perfect excuse to get rid of an overpaid employee
What, Aunty Beeb being that devious? Surely not?

Such thinking deserves some Karma. Hopefully the system will allow it.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..