Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-01-2017, 19:24   #16

Re: Brick, Red Brick Barn, Hapton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
Ok Taddy, I will try and find out for you. There is a meeting of the Hapton Heritage group next week so maybe someone there can shed some light on it.I will let you know.
Hello Rowlf, any more info on the brick,Red Brick Barn.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-01-2017, 22:24   #17
Full Member+

Not yet Taddy. There is a meeting of the Heritage group next Tuesday so I will ask if anyone knows any thing about Red Brick Barn and I will get back to you.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 13:44   #18

Many thanks in anticipation.
Old 24-01-2017, 20:50   #19
Full Member+

Hi Taddy. I mentioned the farm in A.O.B. but no one had heard of it. Unfortunately the bloke who I thought might have an old map was not there due to a family illness. I will try and get hold of him. A couple of the group said they would see what they could find out. One suggested the Heritage centre in the Arndale in Accrington might have some old maps or something so maybe worth you calling in there sometime. Sorry I am not much help but I will keep trying for you.
cashman and taddy like this.
Old 25-01-2017, 11:02   #20

Thank You
Old 25-01-2017, 16:58   #21
Full Member+

You are very welcome Taddy. Have you had a look at `the Hapton heritage website? There are a few photos of me on there......trouble is you wont know who you are looking at. Ha Ha. bet my dad would have been able to help you about the farm. He was born and brought up in Huncoat.
Old 25-01-2017, 19:44   #22

In the center of this map between Huncoat and Hapton from about 1840 is "Brick Barn".Could this be your "Red Brick Barn".Names do get changed over time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BrickBarn.jpg (240.5 KB, 15 views)
cashman likes this.
TubbyLes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 21:21   #23
Full Member+

I think that could be what Taddy is asking about. Where did you find the map?
Old 26-01-2017, 19:43   #24

Map from Mario Maps.Not easy to use but with some trial and error and time you will get there.One clever thing you can lay an old map on top of a modern one to see exact positions.Don't get hooked on it!. MARIO - Maps & Related Information Online
taddy likes this.
TubbyLes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 13:04   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyLes View Post
In the center of this map between Huncoat and Hapton from about 1840 is "Brick Barn".Could this be your "Red Brick Barn".Names do get changed over time.
Thank you Less, yes that barn is the one I am refering to; I have a copy of the said map, if you expand it two or three times you can make out the stream that forms the boundry between Huncoat and Hapton runs directly under the building
making my old friends original statement that he was born in Hapton whilst his brother, (born in a different room), was born in Huncoat; feasable.

Thanks for the info.
Old 27-01-2017, 13:15   #26

Quote:
You are very welcome Taddy. Have you had a look at `the Hapton heritage website? There are a few photos of me on there......trouble is you wont know who you are looking at. Ha Ha. bet my dad would have been able to help you about the farm. He was born and brought up in Huncoat.
I will have a look at the Hapton heritage site Rolfe, by the way on an earlier post I seem to remember you saying that your father was once the landlord of the Black Bull, (sadly no longer a hostelry), was his Christian name Jack and did you and your husband once have a shop on Warner Street at one (time)?
Old 27-01-2017, 18:57   #27
Full Member+

It was my great grandfather who was landlord of the Black Bull. His name was Thomas Edward Smith. He lived in a cottage at the side of the pub which is now the car park I believe. He was a miner previously holding the position of President of the Accrington and District Miners Federation and when he retired from that his son, my grandfather Harry Smith, took over the role. My dad was born across the road from the Black Bull in Ormerod Row then at No 1 James Street until he married my mum and moved to Hapton. I have never lived in Huncoat. My dads eldest sister Hilda lived in the village all her life.She died in 2003. She was a governor at the village school I think. I know she unveiled the plaque in the school to the men of WW1 who lost their lives.
taddy likes this.
Old 28-01-2017, 16:02   #28

Quote:
It was my great grandfather who was landlord of the Black Bull. His name was Thomas Edward Smith. He lived in a cottage at the side of the pub which is now the car park I believe. He was a miner previously holding the position of President of the Accrington and District Miners Federation and when he retired from that his son, my grandfather Harry Smith, took over the role. My dad was born across the road from the Black Bull in Ormerod Row then at No 1 James Street until he married my mum and moved to Hapton. I have never lived in Huncoat. My dads eldest sister Hilda lived in the village all her life.She died in 2003. She was a governor at the village school I think. I know she unveiled the plaque in the school to the men of WW1 who lost their lives.
Many thanks for that Rowlf, the cottage that you refer to is still there, it was used as the kitchen of the pub for many years. Ormerod Row was still in existance up until probably the 1960s.

My first taste of ale was in the Black Bull in 1961, when I was only 14 year's old and the landlord at the time was a man called Jack Fender, he was married to a lady called Hilda and their daughter I believe married the owner of the Little clock shop on Warner Street, hence my pun on my last post as (at the "time"), could the aforsaid Hilda have been one of your relatives?

Just as an aside, the cottage that you mentioned has had a coffin in the bedroom for as long as I can remember.
Old 28-01-2017, 17:33   #29
Full Member+

No Taddy the Hilda you mention is not any relation of mine. My aunt was Hilda Gregory who lived in Enfield Road, next to bottom house. Speaking of coffins, when my G,Grandfather died he was too large for them to get him down the stairs of the cottage so they had to take the window out. My dad always said the cottage he lived in though was to the right of the pub in what is now the car park. I only have that to go off as he died in Jan 1935. Another story was that when he was dying he said if they let him go 'across' to the Bull he would cure himself. That sounds like he was where dad said and not a cottage attached to the pub.
taddy likes this.
Old 28-01-2017, 17:34   #30
Full Member+

If you were 14 in 1961 Taddy you are a few years younger than me.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..