Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2017, 10:11   #1

Brick, Red Brick Barn, Hapton

Does anyone have any information about a building shown on the first edition of
the Ordnance Survey maps as Brick Barn ?

It was situated on the Hapton side of the later to come Power Station, an old drinking buddy of mine by the name of Henry Holt once told me a tale, well not a tale more of a fact, that he was born in the front bedroom of the said Brick Barn and his birth place was registered as Hapton; his brother however was born in the back bedroom and his birthplace was registered as Huncoat.
This does seem to be highly feasable as the boundry stream now runs in a culvert directly under the old still visable (if you know where to look) ruined building.
Maybe one for you Rowlf
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-01-2017, 10:25   #2
Full Member+

Re: Brick, Red Brick Barn, Hapton

Ok Taddy, I will try and find out for you. There is a meeting of the Hapton Heritage group next week so maybe someone there can shed some light on it.I will let you know.
Bob Dobson likes this.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 11:43   #3

Many thanks.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:33   #4
Senior Member+

Not sure if it's the same place,on the canal bank,but Davemac and I have both posted pics of the ruins on here somewhere.

You could try looking on this link:-
Roy's information site on Huncoat, History, Walking and Weather etc.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 12:59   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
Not sure if it's the same place,on the canal bank,but Davemac and I have both posted pics of the ruins on here somewhere.

You could try looking on this link:-
Roy's information site on Huncoat, History, Walking and Weather etc.
Thanks for the above, I have Roy's information on Huncoat, as for whether Brick Barn is on or by the canal I can only answer no.

Since the M65 and it's link road to Huncoat and Hapton were built, Brick Barn or the remnants of it, is virtually isolated; access to it is restricted to the footpath that runs in front of Grime, (sorry), Peter Grime Row from Altham Lane and then following the old Power Station wire mesh fence as it turns North/left towards the railway. a small grove of Elderberry bushes parks the site within maybe fifty yards.
Old 04-01-2017, 13:54   #6
Full Member+

There is reference to brick barn on Roy's site. Quote..1844 Brick Barn farm in fields east of Blind Lane Ends. There is a photo on there too. If I find anything else from the Heritage meeting I will let you know Taddy.
Old 04-01-2017, 17:52   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
Thanks for the above, I have Roy's information on Huncoat, as for whether Brick Barn is on or by the canal I can only answer no.

Since the M65 and it's link road to Huncoat and Hapton were built, Brick Barn or the remnants of it, is virtually isolated; access to it is restricted to the footpath that runs in front of Grime, (sorry), Peter Grime Row from Altham Lane and then following the old Power Station wire mesh fence as it turns North/left towards the railway. a small grove of Elderberry bushes parks the site within maybe fifty yards.
Sorry, should have read marks the site,
Old 04-01-2017, 19:13   #8

Huncoat area was once under Burnley then changed to be under Accrington.This might account for changes in birth place.Some of my ancestors fell under that change.
TubbyLes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 19:40   #9
Full Member+

Both Hapton and Huncoat came under Burnley for registration certainly in 1916 when my father was born in Huncoat and my mother in Hapton. Putting either village as the place of birth was obviously what the registrar was told and perhaps the brothers were registered by two different people who had differing ideas as to exactly where Brick Barn Farm was.
Old 04-01-2017, 19:43   #10
Full Member+

The actual place of registration for both villages was Padiham. I remember my dad saying his father and his uncle walked from Huncaot to Padiham to register both him and his cousin. The registrar from Burnley must have had a surgery in Padiham on certain days.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:00   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyLes View Post
Huncoat area was once under Burnley then changed to be under Accrington.This might account for changes in birth place.Some of my ancestors fell under that change.
Yes you are correct, Huncoat became part of Accrington in 1929/30, the two brothers that I refered to in my first post were born before that date when Huncoat was still a parish? (part) of Burnley.

Many thanks for all/any information.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:11   #12

After reading my first post again, it does seem misleading; where I have said each brother was (registered), one in Hapton and the other in Huncoat, what was probably said was, one was born in Hapton and the other in Huncoat.

Don't forget that this conversation happened probably forty/forty five years ago in the (then White Lion Hotel), after consuming what was then good strong real ale.
No such drink as the ice cold no taste stuff of today.
Old 05-01-2017, 15:15   #13
Full Member+

Ha Ha sounds like you had a good night Taddy.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:14   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
There is reference to brick barn on Roy's site. Quote..1844 Brick Barn farm in fields east of Blind Lane Ends. There is a photo on there too. If I find anything else from the Heritage meeting I will let you know Taddy.
Fi9rst time I've heard about the Hapton Heritage Group. Please have a look at the Lancashire Local History Federation's website. It is an umbrella for such groups.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 15:57   #15
Full Member+

Have a look at our site Bob. Haptonheritage.co.uk. We were formed in 2011 and have a dozen members who regularly attend our monthly meetings. Although only a small group compared to some we are dedicated in preserving all things to do with Hapton.
taddy likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..