Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2008, 18:55   #1
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Britannia Sacked.

I’m a bit surprised that the patriots on here haven’t had anything to say about Britannia being sacked from the 50 pence piece. It has been reported that Gordon Brown is in favour of ditching Britannia in favour of some other symbol. I understand that this will happen in April but the new design has not been published – yet.

According to the font of all knowledge – Wikipedia – Britannia in one form or another has appeared on a British coin since Hadrian was building his wall. Actually it was probably a Roman coin issued by Hadrian but that is splitting hairs.

Early portraits of the goddess depict Britannia as a beautiful young woman, wearing the helmet of a Centurion, and wrapped in a white garment with her right breast exposed. She is usually shown seated on a rock, holding a spear, and with a spiked shield propped beside her. Sometimes she holds a standard and leans on the shield. On another range of coinage, she is seated on a globe above waves:
Unquote.

Britannia first appeared on a British coin – the farthing and the halfpenny – in 1672. Then between 1797 and 1970 she adorned the reverse of the humble pre decimal penny and on the post decimal 50 pence piece since 1969.

Since 1987 you could buy a British Bullion Gold Coin, at a face value of £100. I suppose that it will be much more today. The latest price of gold is around $925 per Troy ounce, although it fluctuates quite wildly. A few days ago it was $880 and a few days before that it was up at $920.

However the British Bullion Gold Coin is not minted in pure gold (24 carat) but a mixture of 24 carat gold (91.7%) and silver (8.3%)

All information cribbed from Wikipedia.

Sorry! I’ve drifted off the main subject and that is the demise of Britannia on our coins.

That is absolutely diabolical. Britannia is a symbol of Britishness. This is just another sly move to blend us in with the Euro.

I seem to remember that one of our coins had a circle of hands on the reverse. I have it in my head that is was the 50 pence but it couldn’t have been otherwise it would have been mentioned somewhere.
Old 01-02-2008, 19:00   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Britannia Sacked.

I lost interest in Britannia when big chinned Aussie opera diva, Joan Sutherland, dressed up as her for the Proms.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 19:00   #3
God Member

Brittania is a depiction of the queen Boudica of the Iceni tribe in East Anglia at the time of the roman invasion
No way can she be a historic national symbol for the UK

PS up here in Brigantia we had our own queen - Cartimandua
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 19:00   #4
Give, give, give member

...though I agree, I think she should still be on our coins.

Old 01-02-2008, 19:01   #5
God Member

Another step towards a multicultural society, the bare right breast probably offends aomebody!
Old 01-02-2008, 19:02   #6
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

heard about this on the new! they want to see it replaced with a representation of modern Britain.

what ya think
Old 01-02-2008, 19:03   #7
Give, give, give member

The Daily Mail has a petition, and is running a campaign to keep Britannia on our coinage.

Sign our petition to stop Brown's plan to remove Britannia from our 50p coin | the Daily Mail

Old 01-02-2008, 19:06   #8
God Member

Why are you so sentimental about your misconceptions of early celtic history in this country - which wasn't even a country at the time she lived

I repeat in case you missed it-
Brittania is a depiction of the queen Boudica of the Iceni tribe in East Anglia at the time of the roman invasion
No way can she be a historic national symbol for the UK

PS up here in Brigantia we had our own queen - Cartimandua
Old 01-02-2008, 19:14   #9
Give, give, give member

There's a history of Britannia's image on coins on this site.

Britannia on British Coins

Old 01-02-2008, 19:16   #10
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Why are you so sentimental about your misconceptions of early celtic history in this country - which wasn't even a country at the time she lived
As a republican I'd rather have a fearsome Essex girl on my coins, than the German hausfrau who is on the other side.

Old 01-02-2008, 19:17   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
There's a history of Britannia's image on coins on this site.

Britannia on British Coins
Because most people are ignorant of our history before the romans and misquidedly think she is nationally symbolic
Old 01-02-2008, 19:20   #12
Resting in Peace

Isn't it just another example of dumming our history down. It has been widely reported today both in the press and on TV. that children are being taught that its wrog to be proud of Britain, because our history is morally corrupt. This is in a report from the University of London Institute of Edcation, researchers Michael Hand and Jo Pearce said Briatain should not be "loved" becauseit is guilty of dodgy acts in the past. So it looks like sod off Nelson, Drake and company we don't want kids to know about your efforts which made our country great. well I've only two words to say to pratts like that and the second one is OFF
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 19:21   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Isn't it just another example of dumming our history down. It has been widely reported today both in the press and on TV. that children are being taught that its wrog to be proud of Britain, because our history is morally corrupt. This is in a report from the University of London Institute of Edcation, researchers Michael Hand and Jo Pearce said Briatain should not be "loved" becauseit is guilty of dodgy ats in the past. So it looks like sod off Nelson, Drake and company we don't want kids to know about your efforts which made our country great. well I've only two words to say to pratts like that and the second one is OFF
Is is not our history - see my previous post
It is a misconception of our history

PS MAP OF CELTIC TRIBES IN BRITAIN

Last edited by MargaretR; 01-02-2008 at 19:24.
Old 01-02-2008, 19:26   #14
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Isn't it just another example of dumming our history down. It has been widely reported today both in the press and on TV. that children are being taught that its wrog to be proud of Britain, because our history is morally corrupt. This is in a report from the University of London Institute of Edcation, researchers Michael Hand and Jo Pearce said Briatain should not be "loved" becauseit is guilty of dodgy acts in the past. So it looks like sod off Nelson, Drake and company we don't want kids to know about your efforts which made our country great. well I've only two words to say to pratts like that and the second one is OFF
Every country has a 'dodgy' past. For instance there was a well established slave trade in the Middle East and Africa, before a white foot was ever planted there.

We should be proud of our history, and if people don't like it, and try to pretend it never happened, then they should pack their bags and go and live in a place with a guilt free historical past, which probably means they can only go to Antartica.

Old 01-02-2008, 19:28   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Every country has a 'dodgy' past. For instance there was a well established slave trade in the Middle East and Africa, before a white foot was ever planted there.

We should be proud of our history, and if people don't like it, and try to pretend it never happened, then they should pack their bags and go and live in a place with a guilt free historical past, which probably means they can only go to Antartica.
I am all for people learning their history (celtic history is my hobby)
BUT AT LEAST GET IT RIGHT!!!!!!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..