Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2011, 10:10   #61
Resting in Peace

Re: Britcliffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallop79 View Post
Well put Jaysay, people shouldn't be allowed to slag people off on here, after all isn't that Libel?? Maybe torquemada will have the "decency" to message you and tell you where they got their informed information from ??
Ya and pigs might fly
Old 12-07-2011, 14:35   #62

Exclamation Re: Britcliffe

I can't say I know PB personally, though I know of him, as any reader of the local press will do. I'll pin my colours to the mast very clearly as a Labour supporter. And in that I am disappointed that PB wasn't ousted at the last election. Reminds me of the proverbial watsit stuck to a blanket and takes some shifting

I'm sorry, on most things I'm prepared to give anyone the benefit of the doubt, irrespective of their political persuasion. I admire any person who puts themselves forward for service to the community without seeing any gain for themselves. However, when a councillor says he needs his £38,000 allowance as a councillor because
Quote:
"I have to live"!
then I can't help but see him in the same light as all those MPs in the expenses scandal

I don't think we should be too bewildered at PBs relentless hold on his ward if the majority of the constituents are true blue Tories I'm just grateful we now have a labour majority council.
Mikejoed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 14:44   #63
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikejoed View Post
I can't say I know PB personally, though I know of him, as any reader of the local press will do. I'll pin my colours to the mast very clearly as a Labour supporter. And in that I am disappointed that PB wasn't ousted at the last election. Reminds me of the proverbial watsit stuck to a blanket and takes some shifting

I'm sorry, on most things I'm prepared to give anyone the benefit of the doubt, irrespective of their political persuasion. I admire any person who puts themselves forward for service to the community without seeing any gain for themselves. However, when a councillor says he needs his £38,000 allowance as a councillor because then I can't help but see him in the same light as all those MPs in the expenses scandal

I don't think we should be too bewildered at PBs relentless hold on his ward if the majority of the constituents are true blue Tories I'm just grateful we now have a labour majority council.
i aint convinced the majority of his constituents are true blue Tories Mike, they may be, from when i lived up yon, i would think around 50/50, the fact is the horrible git has been a damn fair Ward Councillor, although i'm spitting feathers saying it.
Old 12-07-2011, 14:58   #64

I appreciate your honesty Cashman!
Mikejoed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 15:44   #65
God Member

There are two benches which have recently been put in place up by Merlin Drive in Ossy; both have plaques placed on them.

I wonder if any of you could possibly have a look at those plaques, take a note of what each says, and then post that on here.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 16:20   #66
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I don't think we should be too bewildered at PBs relentless hold on his ward if the majority of the constituents are true blue Tories
If you'd have read this thread rather more carefully, you'd have seen that I'd posted as a resident in Cllr. Britcliffe's ward, and that political allegiance has nothing to do his 'relentless hold' on St. Andrew's ward.

He's a good local councillor, with a proven track record, which probably adds to his appeal. More so that some new Fanny-Ann, who people know very little of, and who might not know their political arse from their elbow.

It's definitely the person, rather than the party, that means he's re-elected.

As for the stupidly, snide, 'true blue Tories' comment, that shows your gross naivety.

As someone who sees it as it is, that being he's a good ward councillor, but also someone who in public was one of the fiercest and most vocal critics, whist he was leading the council, you're way off the mark if you're trying to attach a 'true blue' label to me.

Indeed, whilst attacking some of the ludicrous policies and decisions taken under his leadership, many of his supporters accused me of being a leftist, Trotskyist, blood red political agitator.

So to surmise...you are very, very, wrong.

That's kindly ignoring the fact that historically this was seen as a safe Labour ward.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 16:31   #67
Beacon of light

I think we have to allow Mike a bit of leeway. It is easy to skip through a thread and think you have the gist of it...and unless you have lived in the area for a long time then some of the minutiae he may not be aware of...for no other reason than he wasn't here when incidents happened.
I think many of the older people vote for the person in any ward...rather sticking with the devil they know, than voting for someone they don't know.(which you have mentioned)
He may have been a wonderful ward councillor, but his antics as the leader of the council were risible...and to any outsider, makes the borough a laughing stock.
He didn't do a great deal for the town, and what he did do was aimed at massaging his monster ego(or there wouldn't have been half as many pics of him in the local papers).
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 16:36   #68
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I think we have to allow Mike a bit of leeway. It is easy to skip through a thread and think you have the gist of it...and unless you have lived in the area for a long time then some of the minutiae he may not be aware of...for no other reason than he wasn't here when incidents happened.
I think many of the older people vote for the person in any ward...rather sticking with the devil they know, than voting for someone they don't know.(which you have mentioned)
He may have been a wonderful ward councillor, but his antics as the leader of the council were risible...and to any outsider, makes the borough a laughing stock.
He didn't do a great deal for the town, and what he did do was aimed at massaging his monster ego(or there wouldn't have been half as many pics of him in the local papers).
Oh, I quite agree.

I was explaining the reason he's re-elected. Which has very little to do with the people in his ward being 'true blue Tories'.

As evidence of my own observations not being politically motivated, I could quite easily link at least fifty threads attacking H.B.C. whilst Cllr. Britcliffe was Leader of the Council.

Old 12-07-2011, 16:44   #69
God Member

Just check out the wording on those benches at Merlin.
Old 12-07-2011, 16:55   #70
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Just check out the wording on those benches at Merlin.
There isn't an image of a certain someone's visage on the seat, done by poker work, with a brass plaques on the back, saying 'Sit on my face, and tell me that you love me' is there?

Old 12-07-2011, 17:05   #71
God Member

Garinda,

Just get your arse up there, take a note of what's written and report back.
Old 12-07-2011, 17:26   #72
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Oh, I quite agree.

I was explaining the reason he's re-elected. Which has very little to do with the people in his ward being 'true blue Tories'.

As evidence of my own observations not being politically motivated, I could quite easily link at least fifty threads attacking H.B.C. whilst Cllr. Britcliffe was Leader of the Council.

Yes, you were G.
I was just trying to be kind to Mike and point out why he may not know of the background.
And I know that your response was not politically motivated....but it never does any harm to reiterate that fact.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 17:27   #73
JCB

Brian Walmsley is also a councillor for St Andrews Ward in Ossy .

Does anyone know how long he has held that position ?
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 17:37   #74
Common Sense Member

Quote:

I'm sorry, on most things I'm prepared to give anyone the benefit of the doubt, irrespective of their political persuasion. I admire any person who puts themselves forward for service to the community without seeing any gain for themselves. However, when a councillor says he needs his £38,000 allowance as a councillor because then I can't help but see him in the same light as all those MPs in the expenses scandal

Although control has shifted, each individual councillor is elected for a four year term and Peter Britcliffe will walk among us until 2014 at the earliest as he was re-elected at the same time as I got on the council. He is also a county councillor which means that in addition he will hold that seat until at least 2013.

There is no love lost between me and him as we have locked horns on several subjects that I think the Conservatives would have preferred to remain unquestioned. Personally speaking, I find his conduct within the council to be outright disrespectful rather than simply political posturing and following his ejection from the chamber at the last full meeting there was a palpable shift in the atmosphere for the better.

Just my opinion, but there's no need for it and I feel that panto performances demean the whole council.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 17:38   #75
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Yes, you were G.
I was just trying to be kind to Mike and point out why he may not know of the background.
And I know that your response was not politically motivated....but it never does any harm to reiterate that fact.
Then I shall follow your gracious lead.

I'll ignore the snidey 'true blue Tories' comment, and be as nice as pie.

(The author of this post would like to thank Mrs. Lovett's pie shop for their kind sponsorship of said pie.)

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..