Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Exile on Spencer St
  • 2 Post By Exile on Spencer St

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2023, 17:22   #1
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

British Gas

im damn glad we shut British Gas years ago, they have been breaking into peoples houses to Switch them to SMART METERS. telling folk they are breaking the law,we where far from happy with them at the time so we switched.they should be PROSECUTED in my opinion.
Old 02-02-2023, 18:39   #2
God Member

Re: British Gas

The Gastapo!
cashman likes this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 08:21   #3
Beacon of light

Cashy they have not been installing smart meters.
They have been getting orders from courts (on flimsy evidence) to fit pre-payment meters.
These pre-payment meters have a tariff that is much higher than the tariff they were on before the meter was installed.

This is not something that just British Gas have done, bit it has become clear that other energy suppliers(like Scottish Power and Eon) have done exactly the same and it has not been reported in the same vein.

The energy companies want to get their money and they want it guaranteed that they will get their money.
They want all customers to pay by direct debit….or if this is not possible, and for some people it isn’t a viable option, then they will fit a pre-payment meter if you are having problems paying.

Please be assured this is not a criticism of your post, just clarifying what the situation is.

Ofgem have now banned this practice…just seen it on the news.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 13:24   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

oh ta fer putting me right margaret i thought it was smart uns i got really brassed off with british gas years ago and sacked em. the firm i chose i can say i am delighted with.all the focus these days is smart uns so i wrongly assumed twas them,i still aint got one,

Last edited by cashman; 03-02-2023 at 13:28.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 17:03   #5
Beacon of light

Me neither Cashy. I just didn’t want you to think that I was picking holes in your post.
I am a British Gas customer and I have no complaints about their service, but I know that this not the experience that everyone has.

I am pleased that you have a supplier that meets your needs.
Old 03-02-2023, 17:29   #6
God Member

It’s suspected by many that the main reasons for the big push for so-called smart meters are (1) to sack human meter readers, and (2) to enable compulsory rationing as when the inevitable impact of Net Stupid (i.e. not enough energy supply to meet demand) manifests itself.
With a smart meter you can sit at home and watch how much electricity you’re using and then watch when the suppliers cut you off every tea time to save the planet. What fun.
cashman and Stevie R like this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 17:46   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Me neither Cashy. I just didn’t want you to think that I was picking holes in your post.
I am a British Gas customer and I have no complaints about their service, but I know that this not the experience that everyone has.

I am pleased that you have a supplier that meets your needs.
never thought that for a min Margaret was glad you corrected me. ihave it in for BRITISH GAS think they are rubbish.
Old 03-02-2023, 18:26   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Cashy they have not been installing smart meters.
They have been getting orders from courts (on flimsy evidence) to fit pre-payment meters.
These pre-payment meters have a tariff that is much higher than the tariff they were on before the meter was installed.

This is not something that just British Gas have done, bit it has become clear that other energy suppliers(like Scottish Power and Eon) have done exactly the same and it has not been reported in the same vein.

The energy companies want to get their money and they want it guaranteed that they will get their money.
They want all customers to pay by direct debit….or if this is not possible, and for some people it isn’t a viable option, then they will fit a pre-payment meter if you are having problems paying.

Please be assured this is not a criticism of your post, just clarifying what the situation is.

Ofgem have now banned this practice…just seen it on the news.
It's true, suppliers are now disallowed from forcing installs & Tariff changes, apparently OFGEM has told energy suppliers not to force fit pre-pay meters. According to report's by Sky, BBC & The Sun today.
skuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 19:38   #9
Beacon of light

I have been told that the energy suppliers (any or all of them)can cut you off at a whim whether you are on a smart meter or not.

I do not need a smart meter to make me frugal with energy. I know what we use has to be paid for.
Lights are turned off, I do fewer washes….I have no tumble dryer, I batch cook so that I get the best from the energy I am using.

If the government were serious about clean energy they would be fitting photo-voltaic panels to every house roof in the country.
They would ditch useless ineffective wind turbines and concentrate on harnessing wave energy.

The net zero targets will do absolutely zilch to save the planet because we produce less than 1% of carbon emissions.
You do not see the eco warriors…the stop oil proponents targeting India, China, America and Russia
Why is this do you think?
Because their antics would see them battered about the head with batons….and they would just rip their glued hands off the tarmac.
Old 04-02-2023, 08:27   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

theres quite a few eco warriors about i put them in the STUPID BRACKET.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..