Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-08-2020, 07:57   #16
God Member

Re: British Museum

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1243836]

A bit like the BBC banning Rule Britannia, and Land of Hope and Glory from the last night of the proms.
OK, they have changed their minds now....the tunes will be played but no words will be sung because they are seen to be linked with slavery.
This is the influence of the 'woke' generation.

got to kick off with the statement that i do not like these two tunes, words and music. however they should be taken in the context of the last night of the proms. its a night of british music and patriotism which many enjoy with no harm whatsoever. if its not for you then just do not watch it. imagine the uproar if someone wanted to ban bob marley and calypso music at west indian festivals as they may cause offence to someone.
Less and Margaret Pilkington like this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-08-2020, 10:00   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i agree margaret utterly STUPID, but if people are anything like me they will lose quite a few customers and i have always donated when ive been there. to be honest i keep hearing this "WOKE" i dont even know what it stands for apart i assume dickhead,
Ha Ha, You do have a way with words Cashy,my thoughts exactly.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2020, 13:23   #18
Beacon of light

They do not mention Britains role in the banning of slavery because it does not suit their agenda.
There were lots of countries involved in the slave trade, but these are not mentioned.....they want us to believe that we were the bad guys of the world.
Where there was colonialisation there were also benefits for those people in the countries colonised.....people were employed, helped and educated.
It was not tyranny...but they would tell you it was.
monkey hanger likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2020, 13:35   #19
Beacon of light

[QUOTE=monkey hanger;1243860]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post

A bit like the BBC banning Rule Britannia, and Land of Hope and Glory from the last night of the proms.
OK, they have changed their minds now....the tunes will be played but no words will be sung because they are seen to be linked with slavery.
This is the influence of the 'woke' generation.

got to kick off with the statement that i do not like these two tunes, words and music. however they should be taken in the context of the last night of the proms. its a night of british music and patriotism which many enjoy with no harm whatsoever. if its not for you then just do not watch it. imagine the uproar if someone wanted to ban bob marley and calypso music at west indian festivals as they may cause offence to someone.
I like both of those anthems, they are rousing and patriotic, but it seems that patriotism is a crime these days.

Neither anthem glorifies slavery, but they do glorify a love of your country.

Those who find offence in patriotic music, need to find something else to worry about
It seems like the BBC, like the Labour Party, dislike anything that is British, or promotes a love of Britishness.
They want to dilute our culture, or do away with it altogether.
cashman, joaner3 and monkey hanger like this.
Old 26-08-2020, 14:33   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

the Labour Party is a prime example of it thats the main reason i left em after a lifetime. but quite a few more.
Old 26-08-2020, 14:55   #21
Beacon of light

Media is the most powerful entity on earth.
They have the power to make the innocent guilty and make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses
Malcolm X

That says it all really....about TV, mainstream news, social media.
Old 26-08-2020, 15:14   #22
Beacon of light

[QUOTE=monkey hanger;1243859]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
This is our history, not the proudest of moments

but a similar history as the french, dutch, spanish and portugese . they fail to mention that britain was in the forefront of banning slavery. nothing said about other africans who captured and sold these slaves on in the first place. without these i doubt slavery would have been as big an industry as it was. there is quite a good possibility that ancestors of these west african slavers are quite happy kneelers and at the forefront of BLM but it doesn,t matter i suppose. they were only following orders.
There was some video footage of White supporters of the BLM cause in a restaurant in Washington(I think it was Washington).
These white people were raising closed fists(a symbol of aggression), two white women declined to be involved, they were harangued and bullied to try to get them to raise a closed fist....one man got into a woman's personal space and leaned forward to intimidate her....but still she declined.
They were shouting 'are you Christian?'.....it was a very scary event.
This is how fascism works....how it taints people.

If you think for yourself, hold your own opinions, then you are unwelcome because you do not conform.
Thinking for yourself means that inevitably you will offend some of those in society who have delicate egos.
Old 26-08-2020, 15:49   #24
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

as far as im concerned the B.L.M. big wigs are nothing but SCUM and THUGS.
Old 26-08-2020, 15:55   #25
Beacon of light

Looking at that footage I have to agree.
Old 27-08-2020, 08:00   #26
God Member

Quote:
Looking at that footage I have to agree.
does that footage remind you of something else. visions of nazi brownshirts coming into bars in germany around 1933. smashing windows of all non BLM businesses and book burning next. wonder where they will put their concentration camps after they have done all that.
Old 27-08-2020, 08:02   #27
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Well, we can no longer see the founder of the British Museum however, there are a few things we can see.

Earlier today the beeb did an article on the Museum re-opening, the public will be guided through the site due to covid.
The first exhibition?
The Rosetta stone (the Egyptians asked for it back in 2010).

The second exhibition is Greek history no doubt including the controversial Elgin Marbles (The Greeks continuously ask for them to be returned with the answer being, NEVER).

So perhaps if we can continue to display such things (both of these Countries had slaves and slavery) the addition of one statue of a British slaver (legal at the time) hardly seems anymore of a crime than the displaying of these stolen goods.

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 08:11   #28
God Member

Quote:

Those who find offence in patriotic music, need to find something else to worry about
It seems like the BBC, like the Labour Party, dislike anything that is British, or promotes a love of Britishness.
They want to dilute our culture, or do away with it altogether.
think land of hope and glory has been disliked for years by the left even before they knew about slavery. it was highjacked by the tory party to sing at their conference just in the same way the far right highjacked the gt.georges flag. so the WOKE brigade do not want either now. what do these lot want. they love the word multiculturism, but does that really mean immegrant culture that we should all embrace and not our own. they cannot have things all there way, or can they.
Old 27-08-2020, 09:42   #29
God Member

[QUOTE=Less;1243899

So perhaps if we can continue to display such things (both of these Countries had slaves and slavery) the addition of one statue of a British slaver (legal at the time) hardly seems anymore of a crime than the displaying of these stolen goods.

[/QUOTE]

do not forget the words legal at the time. just like it was until 1832 legal to execute people found guilty of sheep, horse and cattle thieving as well as shoplifting. should we take a knee for OUR ancestors who were exectuted for possibly starving at the time.
Old 27-08-2020, 10:28   #30
Beacon of light

I do not connect Land of Hope and Glory with the Tory Party.
I remember it being played(and sung) at special assemblies when I was at school.

When you ask about adopting the cultures of others, even that is seen as wrong.
It is seen as appropriating the culture of another race....and deemed wrong.
So 'they'....the Wokerista do not want us to celebrate out patriotism, nor adopt the cultures of others.....so we are supposed to sit back and be tolerant of others, yet expect no tolerance for ourselves.
I hate the way the world is going.
I just think those who are creating issues do not have much going on in their lives....or nothing that takes up their energies.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..