Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-08-2020, 11:41   #1
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

British Museum

this place has removed the FOUNDERS Bust cos of links to slavery, i have visited a few times to it, i shall NEVER do so again. these tin pot little people are trying to rewrite history, on the basis they have removed it then they should close the museum cos of those links. i am utterly disgusted with whoever is responsible. i forgot to add its in the paper this morning.
Old 25-08-2020, 12:28   #2
Beacon of light

Re: British Museum

This is the way things are going Cashy....STUPID.
The National Trust are acting in the same way.

A bit like the BBC banning Rule Britannia, and Land of Hope and Glory from the last night of the proms.
OK, they have changed their minds now....the tunes will be played but no words will be sung because they are seen to be linked with slavery.
This is the influence of the 'woke' generation.
Not playing the music or singing the words will not revoke what went on some three hundred years ago....and back then this was acceptable in society.
It is, in effect, rewriting history...or cancelling out history.
Putting a lid on patriotism only makes for polarisation of opinion.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 13:07   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

i agree margaret utterly STUPID, but if people are anything like me they will lose quite a few customers and i have always donated when ive been there. to be honest i keep hearing this "WOKE" i dont even know what it stands for apart i assume dickhead,
Old 25-08-2020, 14:13   #4
Beacon of light

Woke is a term used to denote someone who is ethically aware....politically correct.
Deniers of the past....climate change warriors, those who believe that the planet is going to shrivel up because of what man is doing.
Much of it is virtue signalling by those who would cry if you took their phones off them.

I am awake, but note woke
Old 25-08-2020, 14:23   #5
Beacon of light

A quote from Thomas Sowell.....Economist and Social Theorist.
'It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance'

That just about sums up 'woke' people.
Old 25-08-2020, 14:51   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

oh well ta, my interpretation of it was pretty accurate then?
Old 25-08-2020, 20:18   #7

I would love to find who 'they' actually are as they are no more than fascists wanting to impose 'their' will on the rest of us. They want to pull down historic statues while they are quite happy to have the mass murderer Mandela looking over us - even Amnesty International never recognised him as a political prisoner...... and the warning is in the legacy of Mandela - since the end of Apartheid 750'000 citizens of South Africa have been murdered, every other woman the subject of a sexual assault - what a great man, what a legacy. Even the Afrikaaners Apartheid regime was FAR FAR safer. The problem with these people espousing all the nonsense is that they just don't want to see the blindingly obvious truth staring them in the face when it doesn't fit their agenda.
Jimmy Clitheroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 21:23   #8
Beacon of light

Fascist is the right term for it.
As you say they want us all to have the same skewed opinion.
Germany 1939. Learn the lesson or repeat the mistakes.
Old 25-08-2020, 21:29   #9
Beacon of light

those black people who have been demonstrating in London, in Black uniforms with stab vests....make me think of the marches in Germany...the Hitler Youth and also here under Oswald Mosley.(and his Black shirted followers)
I thought it was illegal for people to march in what appear to be para military uniforms...but oh wait, black people marching.....police enforcing the law of the land...and screams of racism...no of course the police will not enforce the law.....they are afiiad that theu will be stepping on some politically correct toes.

They say they are a peaceful organisation, but make gestures that relate to Black Power and look very intimidating.
Black shirts are a symbol of fascism
nicola68, cashman, joaner3 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 25-08-2020 at 21:32.
Old 26-08-2020, 06:48   #10
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Germany 1939. Learn the lesson or repeat the mistakes.
This is our history, not the proudest of moments but, as with the holocaust the lessons will only be learned if we remember what happened and we can't do that if we hide our history from public view. We should not allow skewed censorship to remove the truth.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2020, 07:21   #11
God Member

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1243852]
I thought it was illegal for people to march in what appear to be para military uniforms...

it was and was brought in during the 1930,s to combat the black shirt marchers. it was called a quasi military uniform which for me covers the london lot.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2020, 07:29   #12
Beacon of light

Less, I agree with every word of that post, but then you knew I would.
Someone once said 'Those who do not learn from History are doomed to repeat it'.......we have to own it and is a way be proud of it because we have learned a lot.

But being a wimpish snowflake who is offended by the little things...well, I am not proud of that.

We choose the things to be offended by.

I think some of the offence taking is just a brand of virtue signalling by people who believe that their being offended makes them more enlightened and superior in some way.
Old 26-08-2020, 07:31   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

[QUOTE=monkey hanger;1243855]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I thought it was illegal for people to march in what appear to be para military uniforms...

it was and was brought in during the 1930,s to combat the black shirt marchers. it was called a quasi military uniform which for me covers the london lot.
it is but the police are too scared of the higher ups to argue that is understandable to me.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 26-08-2020, 07:34   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Clitheroe View Post
.... and the warning is in the legacy of Mandela - since the end of Apartheid 750'000 citizens of South Africa have been murdered, every other woman the subject of a sexual assault - what a great man, what a legacy. Even the Afrikaaners Apartheid regime was FAR FAR safer. The problem with these people espousing all the nonsense is that they just don't want to see the blindingly obvious truth staring them in the face when it doesn't fit their agenda.
do not forget zimbabwe either. white farmers were murdered, homosexuality deemed illegal and beatings and arrests for dissenters. white farmers and their families suffering the same in RSA. what have the resident black populatation actuallly gained with mugabe and mandela apart from a vote. funny how the WOKE brigade ignore white deaths and murders. just wonder how any other race of people would view their own ignoring their plight and highlighting other races problems. i will not even think of holding my breath.
Old 26-08-2020, 07:43   #15
God Member

[QUOTE=Less;1243853]This is our history, not the proudest of moments

but a similar history as the french, dutch, spanish and portugese . they fail to mention that britain was in the forefront of banning slavery. nothing said about other africans who captured and sold these slaves on in the first place. without these i doubt slavery would have been as big an industry as it was. there is quite a good possibility that ancestors of these west african slavers are quite happy kneelers and at the forefront of BLM but it doesn,t matter i suppose. they were only following orders.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..