Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-03-2003, 17:11   #1
Junior Member+

Post broadband access in Gt Harwood

When is the Great Harwood area going to demand Broadband (ADSL) access.

BT need interest to be shown and they have a web tool to track this. The current stats for the Great Harwood exchange are

Registered interested users: 144

Trigger level: 300 (48%)

You can register your interest as below (no obligation).

Come on pass the news on.

Ric

http://www.xtreme.pipex.net/cgi-bin/adsl/isavail/
Old 27-03-2003, 17:17   #2
Junior Member+

Post Re: broadband access in Gt Harwood

I don't work for pipex or anything, I just need broadband to make it to GH.

You need it too!!
Old 27-03-2003, 17:39   #3
KIPAX

I was amazed Accy had it.. I have had broadband for 3 years now. Had it on test first for 6 months before they rolled it out. 7 years before that with a modem I can still hear that naff connection noise in my head.

Maybe I am going mad
Old 27-03-2003, 17:45   #4

so, 10 years with a modem!  You MUST have been into BBS systems at that time! I know I was then, I remember going through the lists of North West BBS's trying to find ones with a local call from Accrington - far to expensive in them days to call a manchester board!  (2400bps - you couldn't beat it)!
ukbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2003, 17:53   #5
KIPAX

Correct. I have been on the Internet for ten years.. First went on using an Atari ST ..Half a meg of memory and no HD just a 720k HD .... made my first web page on that  Using a shell account I could do ftp, usenet., email the lot with that system.

Yeagh I did BBS systems.. Cost me a fortune. used to have to call Newcastle.. Went through all the magazine listings looking for local.. First bill was 350 quid for the quarter.. nearly got divorced that month

Went on internet.. tried a few places then ended up with airtime in blackburn.. they let me use the Atari on a shell account as well..  Was with them a few years.. 10 Quid a month and phone calls.

ADSL has been a long time coming... bloody great innit

Amazing some BBS systems still exist don't they.. mad or what!

So you been on as long then if ya used BBS ?
Old 27-03-2003, 18:00   #6

Yeah, 10 years - I started with an Amiga.  I actually ran a BBS in Accrington using the Amiga and 2 floppy drives! I once also recieved a phone bill for 350 quid, this was caused when I upgraded(?) to a 386 with 40mb hard drive and the mail server filled the hard drive and kept redialling to try again - for days, very scary!  Indeed times have changed - I do enjoy telnetting to some of the die hard BBS's every now and then - and there is still a place in my heart for Tradewars2002!!
Old 27-03-2003, 18:16   #7
KIPAX

Amiga. Haa so your from the dark side.... hehe Don't start all that again for gawds sake

I had an Amiga500 foot warmer for a while.  The Amiga, an Atari and a 386 all buzzing along and the electric went  Then it came back on again... Only the Atari powered back up...

I didnt do tradewars.. first thing I did was start programming.. If you could call STBasic then STOS (You had Amos) programming that is.. Line numbers
...yummmy spaghetti code

Old 27-03-2003, 18:25   #8

I also did AMos - at the time it was a breakthrough - although I actually started programming basic on an Atari 600 - the one before the 800xl.   That was fun, what on earth happened to computers anyway - how did they turn into these big ugly things from nice small keyboard sized objects.
Old 02-04-2003, 19:36   #9
Junior Member+

I started the internet in America in the 60's on an old toaster.

The crumb dynamics where really hard to code in alphabetty spaghetti.
Old 03-04-2003, 12:26   #10

I've always found coding in alphabetty spaghetti is a lot easier when you make sure you get the language right - I once picked up a can of cheap unlabeled alphabetty spaghetti - it caused chaos, turned out to be bloody french stuff!
Old 09-04-2003, 12:09   #11

get NTL's cable broadband, its available in Gt Harwood and faster too!
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 16:26   #12
Junior Member+

I have NTL too.. despite all the bad press I've never had a problem. Get a download rate of 74kbyte/sec !!

They have, however, imposed a 1GB a day limit on downloads.
Old 10-04-2003, 20:53   #13
Junior Member+

Post .Re: broadband access in Gt Harwood

[quote author=Markie link=board=general;num=1048792306;start=0#11 date=04/09/03 at 17:26:25]I have NTL too.. despite all the bad press I've never had a problem. Get a download rate of 74kbyte/sec !!

They have, however, imposed a 1GB a day limit on downloads.[/quote]

if you dont mind me asking how much is your ntl package/which is it?
and whatever your paying they have a cheek to limit your downloads?(sounds a bit out of order to me.)
hanchorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 08:05   #14
Junior Member+

I've got the 600k package which is £24.99 a month, but it is faster than adsl. I've never noticed the 1gb limit yet even though I've downloaded lots of films.. also, I say it's 24.99, but I've had it since last december and they've forgotten to debit my account!!
Old 12-04-2003, 06:34   #15
Junior Member+

free broadband jammy sod,bet i wouldnt be that lucky markie.......downloading films,i wish better just stick to music videos for now with my mighty 56k!
hanchorman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..