Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-07-2009, 09:08   #106
Resting in Peace

Re: brown just go.

Since the mid seventies people have been encouraged to take out private pensions, so a to subsidise state retirement pension. So what happens the Iron Chancellor then takes charge in 1997 and subsequently started to rob the pension funds to the tune of £5 billion per year. I know some one who retired was worse of by £65 per week on their projected final pension settlement, thanks to that thieving useless Scotsman
Old 18-07-2009, 10:14   #107
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
Yes pensioners worry more about heating in winter paying their bills and food. The pesion they get is poor and a lot of them cannot understand how to get more benifits if they are entitled to them. As for the bus pass it gives them freedom to travel country wide at no real expense to enjoy life to the full. Even those with private pensions and savings due to the economic downturn suffer. There are those that may not drive due to their health, no licence of if they have a car cannot afford to run it. The bit that annoys me about pensions is that everyone who has paid the minimum required amount of national insurance gets a state pension. Yet that is more or less saying that all are equal despite the fact that some will have paid more than others because ehey had a better rate of pay or did a regular shot of overtime. Private pensions though subject to the vagrancies of the markets are paid based on what you put in unlike the state pension.

Yes target those that dont want to work though able to as the money paid to them could increase the pension and lessen the stress pensioners are under financially. Thing is though that even with govenment incentives, payments, retraining etc there will always be those that are better off not working.

Its not only pensioners that have bus passes either, like me who has a condition that legally bans me from driving. I have taken a while to accept the situation as others in my position as well as others who cannot be allowed to drive because of medical conditions. There have been times that though entitled to it I have taken pelters for it and despite not having to justification has been thrown back at them. The argument seems to be that taxpayers shouldnt be funding bus passes at all. My argument is that pensioners who worked all their days and payed taxes should have one. As for me I have employment and pay tax so I am paying for mine. It is subsidised by a payment fixed by govenment and would if extended might get some of the cars of the road that they want so eagerly to do.

Public transport is despite the best efforts of some still way behind other countries and will be for a long time to come. Buses and trains are either half empty or stowed to the gunnels depending on the time of day. I use both trains and buses and suffered on both esp the trains being overcrowed. Yet there are times of the day when trains are half empty and you get cheap tickets but the times only suit those that have no ties. Discounts are available for pensioners and the disabled (which I am classed as) students etc but because it still involves paying then pensioners prefer a bus that costs nothing.

Yes I think govenment policy sometimes has the wrong direction but others will disagree leading to arguments galore. Pensioners get a raw deal in my view and more should be done to help them as many of us will be those pensioners one day in the future. We will have payed our tax and N.I. and should be able to get recompense in some small form for what we have (if we reach that age) put in over our working lives.At the days end some gain many lose but that is sadly the status quo at the moment untill change is forced.
No point having a bus pass if you're going to be dead by christmas from pneumonia.

I always talk to people at the bus stop and I've always found people seem to be happy for their bus pass but complaining about things that are more likely to affect their health.

And please don't tell me that I will understand in 40 years, I pay a hell of a lot of money for my bus pass each year, not to mention public transport in general, and the most I get is a 1/3 off train fares. If I don't understand how valuable the ability is to travel by now then I might as well just give up.

I think people are a bit naive in the UK about seeing their friends and family day in day out like it is a god given right to do that. There are so many people in the world that would kill to see their family members just once a week. That, for many people is just a couple of quid. Yes, it might mean you miss a meal, but you'd happily pay it if you'd rather have a bus pass than a warm house in winter.

I've seen my mum about 3 weeks of this pass academic year and I have to work two jobs over Summer to be able to afford the luxury of a bus pass when I go back to uni, otherwise I'd never be able to afford to leave campus without walking for an hour into town, then an hour back. Never mind being able to afford to get home. You just have to make friends closer to your home and families should perhaps be paying to go see you if they're not having to depend on the pittance of pensions.

But yes, maybe I'll understand in 40yrs when I'm 60. I'd like to think I'd choose a warm house or a good meal over a bus pass though, just like I do now.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 03:27   #108
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Since the mid seventies people have been encouraged to take out private pensions, so a to subsidise state retirement pension. So what happens the Iron Chancellor then takes charge in 1997 and subsequently started to rob the pension funds to the tune of £5 billion per year. I know some one who retired was worse of by £65 per week on their projected final pension settlement, thanks to that thieving useless Scotsman
Rubbish...in the 80's under the Tories, private pensions were encouraged because the then Tory Government were deperate to off load any Public money to the private sector... and sold all the public owned pensions to the private sector..they created a culture of get what you can out of this country and "sod all" to the bloke next door..Tory scum!

Last edited by Mancie; 20-07-2009 at 03:35.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 05:50   #109
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Rubbish...in the 80's under the Tories, private pensions were encouraged because the then Tory Government were deperate to off load any Public money to the private sector... and sold all the public owned pensions to the private sector..they created a culture of get what you can out of this country and "sod all" to the bloke next door..Tory scum!
Don't agree with any of this ... except the last two words
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 08:52   #110
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Take your rose coloured glasses off Mancie and join the real world, when Labour activists are ashamed to be associated with their own party you know the games up
Old 20-07-2009, 09:01   #111
Senior Member+

While I'm a Labour Activist, and Im proud to be Labour.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 09:06   #112
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
While I'm a Labour Activist, and Im proud to be Labour.
The same can't be said for your local leader, and your prospective candidate in Immanual ward who both refuse to mention the small fact that they're the Labour party candidate on their election literature. Not even the Labour party logo exists. From the literature you'd think they were running as independents.
Old 20-07-2009, 09:43   #113
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
The same can't be said for your local leader, and your prospective candidate in Immanual ward who both refuse to mention the small fact that they're the Labour party candidate on their election literature. Not even the Labour party logo exists. From the literature you'd think they were running as independents.
As I've said before political Carpetbaggers
Old 21-07-2009, 21:21   #114
Senior Member+

Quote:
My leaflet had Labour in big colour coded red for Labour and said Labour. The leaflet before had a Labour perspective and the reminder card was big and red with Labour on it.

On the ballot paper it said Labour Party Candidate. I do not think you are not giving voters much credit for thinking for themselves.

Carpetbaggers Jaysay? What is your view then on Paul Barton and Tony Dobson (both from Ossy) representing Barnfield? Neither have any connection with Barnfield outside of Tony's business interests in the town centre.

Or the Barnfield Newsletter which they put out which IIRC does not have Conservative on it.

Last edited by g jones; 21-07-2009 at 21:25.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 06:46   #115
God Member

Of course people will see you're Labour when they reach the polling booth. The question is why are you not telling them far in advance? I recall receiving a leaflet from you which had no mention of Labour not even the logo on it. I've seen your first leaflet to Immanual ward which again lacks any sign of Labour in the candidates election address and again in the lack of logo.

What are you so ashamed of? Every Conservative piece of literature I've received has had the logo on, it is certainly not on all Labour stuff. Very deceptive.
Old 22-07-2009, 08:33   #116
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Of course people will see you're Labour when they reach the polling booth. The question is why are you not telling them far in advance? I recall receiving a leaflet from you which had no mention of Labour not even the logo on it. I've seen your first leaflet to Immanual ward which again lacks any sign of Labour in the candidates election address and again in the lack of logo.

What are you so ashamed of? Every Conservative piece of literature I've received has had the logo on, it is certainly not on all Labour stuff. Very deceptive.
Their second one didn't improve either, but Andrew thats what Labour do
Old 24-07-2009, 18:18   #117
Full Member+

If the UK followed the pattern of the old USSR, the whole wretched cabinet would be put before a firing squad . . . and rightly so.

Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 21:06   #118
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Take your rose coloured glasses off Mancie and join the real world, when Labour activists are ashamed to be associated with their own party you know the games up
no tinted glasses here... I know it's over, and I know what to expect, years of misery... "I can feel the soil falling over my head"
Old 24-07-2009, 21:32   #119
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumped View Post
If the UK followed the pattern of the old USSR, the whole wretched cabinet would be put before a firing squad . . . and rightly so.

I don't normally declare when I've handed out reputation, but I thought this was fantastic! I certainly agree.

There is a group trying to get a referendum on the current electoral system. Perhaps futile but nice to see people uniting to say that they aren't happy.

Home | Vote for a Change
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 21:52   #120
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumped View Post

God help us.. the Tory wannabes have resorted to Stalin..they'll be qouting Lenin next!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..