Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-05-2009, 20:30   #16
Passed away 25-11-09

Re: brushes with Infamy

In my lifetime I've known quite a few people who subsequently were exposed as, or became, villains. I worked with 2 people, at different times, who went to prison for fraud and a chap who lived near me in Coventry in the 60s, a very respectable sort, was convicted for bigamy. I don't think I've met any well known baddies though.
Accrington Web
Old 21-05-2009, 22:31   #17
Give, give, give member

There's been quite a few, but one I remember thinking at the time was odd was chatting to a very unassuming charity worker at a dinner party. He happened to be John Profumo, the man who brought down the government, which subsequently changed the landscape of the decade that I was born into.

Some of the others were sitting directly opposite and chatting to Margaret Thatcher, upstairs in a private dining room at the Carlton Club.

Deciding I wasn't going to attend a lunch party my housemate was giving to try and flog his new paintings, because I was too hungover, only to be woken by Lord Montagu of Beaulieu and the actor Alan Bates, who decided to sit on the bed chatting to me, once they'd roused me from my groggy slumber.

Getting drunk in Kensington Palace, because someone forgot to tell me that the person I was supposed to be seeing had gone to inspect the fire damage at Windsor Castle instead, leaving me sat there with a constantly refreshed gin and tonic.

Getting picked up in the Armani shop in Milan by one of the world's most famous living artists.

Meeting two people, Mike Tyson and Enoch Powell, both of whom I expected to dislike, and finding them thoroughly charming.

Chatting to Kylie Minogue at an aftershow party at Teatro, and tapping her too hard, resulting in her falling off the sofa we were sat on.

Getting locked in an attic bathroom at a houseparty in Battersea for over an hour, because of a dodgy lock, with one of the Queen's children.

Spending a weird evening with Naomi Campbell, when she modelled for my friend Julien, some of which it would be unwise to say what really happened, which ended with us sharing a cab back to London from Greenwich, after she'd pushed us to the front of the queue and caused a big fight.

There are other more, err, intimate encounters with the infamous/famous, but I'm not about to publish them on a local forum. They can be revealed after all the people involved are long dead.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2009, 22:39   #18
Give, give, give member

Just rereading my post some aren't really encounters with people of infamy, but I could justify them all if I brought in the Belgrano, or being arrested for immoral purposes in the 1950's, or hitting your maid with a hairdryer and being made to sweep the streets on New York.

I could infact defame all those I listed.

Old 21-05-2009, 22:57   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
There's been quite a few, but one I remember thinking at the time was odd was chatting to a very unassuming charity worker at a dinner party. He happened to be John Profumo, the man who brought down the government, which subsequently changed the landscape of the decade that I was born into.

Some of the others were sitting directly opposite and chatting to Margaret Thatcher, upstairs in a private dining room at the Carlton Club.

Deciding I wasn't going to attend a lunch party my housemate was giving to try and flog his new paintings, because I was too hungover, only to be woken by Lord Montagu of Beaulieu and the actor Alan Bates, who decided to sit on the bed chatting to me, once they'd roused me from my groggy slumber.

Getting drunk in Kensington Palace, because someone forgot to tell me that the person I was supposed to be seeing had gone to inspect the fire damage at Windsor Castle instead, leaving me sat there with a constantly refreshed gin and tonic.

Getting picked up in the Armani shop in Milan by one of the world's most famous living artists.

Meeting two people, Mike Tyson and Enoch Powell, both of whom I expected to dislike, and finding them thoroughly charming.

Chatting to Kylie Minogue at an aftershow party at Teatro, and tapping her too hard, resulting in her falling off the sofa we were sat on.

Getting locked in an attic bathroom at a houseparty in Battersea for over an hour, because of a dodgy lock, with one of the Queen's children.

Spending a weird evening with Naomi Campbell, when she modelled for my friend Julien, some of which it would be unwise to say what really happened, which ended with us sharing a cab back to London from Greenwich, after she'd pushed us to the front of the queue and caused a big fight.

There are other more, err, intimate encounters with the infamous/famous, but I'm not about to publish them on a local forum. They can be revealed after all the people involved are long dead.

...bye eck! ..I can't wait for the book!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2009, 23:00   #20
God Member

That is exactly what I inferred when I said -
"Most of us have met people who have infamy potential - they just haven't been exposed - YET"

We are living in an era where greed and corruption is the norm.
The whistleblowers are gaining courage - there are more shocks to come and it will eventually end when good people find out - it is happening

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2009, 23:03   #21
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
That is exactly what I inferred when I said -
"Most of us have met people who have infamy potential - they just haven't been exposed - YET"
Don't forget that the very best fraudsters, abusers, charlatans, whatevers, don't ever get caught.

No public outcry, no shaming, no infamy.

Old 21-05-2009, 23:07   #22
God Member

Quote:
Don't forget that the very best fraudsters, abusers, charlatans, whatevers, don't ever get caught.

No public outcry, no shaming, no infamy.
These corrupt times are rapidly coming to an end.
There has been a raising of public awareness beyond their control.

Old 21-05-2009, 23:07   #23
God Member

i once saw a photographer drop a high powered flash in a tunnel in france and passed it back to him

moments later there was a big car accident of some sort involving somone famous

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2009, 23:18   #24
Give, give, give member

Quote:
These corrupt times are rapidly coming to an end.

Yes Cassandra, but have you any concrete evidence of this forthcoming new Utopia, for those Doubting Thomases that may be amongst us?

Old 21-05-2009, 23:22   #25
God Member

Quote:
Yes Cassandra, but have you any concrete evidence of this forthcoming new Utopia, for those Doubting Thomases that may be amongst us?

If you take the trouble to search you can find evidence of corruption on a large scale.
Most people don't want to know - and only believe it when they accidentally are slapped in the face with it.

Do you own muck searching. I am having a rest from it at the mo

Old 21-05-2009, 23:29   #26
Give, give, give member

Quote:
If you take the trouble to search you can find evidence of corruption on a large scale.
Most people don't want to know - and only believe it when they accidentally are slapped in the face with it.

Do you own muck searching. I am having a rest from it at the mo
I wasn't having a go actually, but hey ho. I was one of the few people who posted in your defence when some members recently, and unfairly in my opinion, were on your case.

I do a lot of research, or muck searching as you put it, but we both come to differing opinions. My own being the opinions of a realist, and I suppose someone who sees the glass of life and humankind being definitely half full, rather than half empty.

Hey ho.

Old 21-05-2009, 23:33   #27
God Member

Quote:
I wasn't having a go actually, but hey ho. I was one of the few people who posted in your defence when some members recently, and unfairly in my opinion, were on your case.

I do a lot of research, or muck searching as you put it, but we both come to differing opinions. My own being the opinions of a realist, and I suppose someone who sees the glass of life and humankind being definitely half full, rather than half empty.

Hey ho.

The fact that you have said that you are well aware of lots of corruption and prefer to stay silent, demonstrates to me that you have lost your integrity.
Whistleblowing is the new black - or are you no longer au fait with the new trends?

PS I appreciate that you thought that you were fighting my corner - but I am not in one

Last edited by MargaretR; 21-05-2009 at 23:36.
Old 21-05-2009, 23:36   #28
Give, give, give member

Quote:
The fact that you have said that you are well aware of lots of corruption and prefer to stay silent, demonstrates to me that you have lost your integrity.

Did I use invisible ink to post that?

I'd be very interested to see a quote showing that I did.

I wait with bated breath.

Old 21-05-2009, 23:41   #29
God Member

"I could infact defame all those I listed"

Old 21-05-2009, 23:41   #30
Give, give, give member

Quote:
PS I appreciate that you thought that you were fighting my corner - but I am not in one
I never said you were in a corner.

You were obviously affected, because you posted you were leaving the forum.

It was nothing personal, I'd have defended anyone against what I saw as unfair bullying.

I've never been one to be silent, be it the fashionable thing to do at the present time, or not.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..