Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2008, 09:47   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Bury your head in the sand

well I'm with cashy here, I have never been in debt, pay my credit card of every month if I've used it, have never had anything on HP, if I want anything I save up until I can buy it, I've nout in the back and very little in the building society. Okay my health ain't that good but worrying about anything ain't going to make things better.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:57   #17
God Member

It's just a shame they can't bring in a retrospective tax rate that claws it all back off the greedy people responsible for it all. I'd like to think that the government will take steps to ensure those bowler hatted ponces will never be able to make the same problem re-occur but in reality lots of back scratching will be going on behind the scenes. They all poo in the same pot
Old 10-10-2008, 10:08   #18
God Member

Well putting perspective back from the media hype but having a huge gap in employment & the heavy competition out there for them i've just had a letter this morning that cracked a smile, things cant be too bad even locally. I didnt get a job that i applied for but so impressed they are keeping me on file as they anticipate vacancies cropping up in the near future - a very rare letter these days even getting one back is a rariety nevermind such a lovely letter thats made my day

There is hope then & its not often im positive in any way, strangely economic decline seems to be lucky for me job wise as was my last job stinct way before blair came in.

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:32   #19
God Member

Burying head in the sand isnt what people are doing, altho we have the vote it doesn't change the fact of those at the top abusing their charge or political advantage, which now is what the banks have done, notice its us paying as said on news that LCC have invested in Icelandic banks & who suffers for their lack of financial nouse........TAXPAYERS! Paying for it again or lose the services is the ultamatum!

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:31   #20
Super Moderator

...and it could get worse. Apparently today is the day that the Lehman Brothers' credit default swaps take place. No, I don't understand what it means either, but, if it costs a lot, the outlook could be very black indeed, according to various economic experts. Sod it, I'm off to the pub after work...now where's that bucket of sand? I need to go and dunk my head again.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:41   #21
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

was in the club at dinner n me mate was telling me. a neighbour has been down to his bank yesterday withdrawn his savings, oer 5 grand n said he was putting it under the bed (something west ender said folk are doing) fer me its idiots like that if enough of em, will make this balls up worse. n the swine would not give me his address.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:59   #22

It's like this...

A little boy goes to see his dad and says, 'Dad, I have to do a special report for school. Can I ask you a question?'

His father replies, 'Sure, son. What's the question?'

The little boy says, 'What is politics?'

'Well son, let's take our home for example. I am the wage earner, so let's call me 'Gordon Brown.' Your mother is the administrator of money, so we'll call her 'Alistair Darling.' We take care of your needs, so we'll call you 'The People.' We'll call the maid 'The Working Class,' and your baby brother we can call 'The Future.' Do you understand, son?

'I'm not really sure, Dad. I'll have to think about it.'

That night, awakened by his baby brother's crying, the boy went to see what was wrong. Discovering that the baby had seriously soiled his nappy, the boy went to his parents' room and found his mother sound asleep. He went to the maid's room where, peeking through the keyhole, he saw his father in bed with the maid. The boy's knocking went totally unheeded by his father and the maid, so the boy returned to his room and went back to sleep. The next morning he reported to his father.

'Dad, now I think I understand what politics is.'

'Good, son! Can you explain it to me in your own words?'

'Well, dad, while Gordon Brown is screwing the Working Class, Alistair Darling is sound asleep, the People are being completely ignored

What's the difference between the FSA and organised crime?

One is organised.

Last edited by Mick; 11-10-2008 at 09:35.
archiveuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 13:05   #23
God Member

I don't have stocks and shares but I do have a small nest egg, which I call my 'old age money'.

It is to provide me with teeth and glasses enough to see me out, and replace domestic electrical goods as they wear out (things aren't made to last anymore are they?)

The way this will affect me, I am not sure about, but what I have gleaned from the news so far-
Council tax increases
Closure of businesses and mass unemployment, which could trigger civil unrest and an increase in crime.

So we will suffer a deterioration in our standard of living.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 13:27   #24

I am due to retire at the end of March next year when I will have just turned 66. My wife and I both have 401K's (American pension schemes). Last year we bought a house up in Georgia to retire to. We owned our house in Florida free and clear and so raised money on the equity to purchase the Georgia house and put the Florida house on the market. Now, we can't sell the house because of the slump. Our 401K's have been reduced this year by approximately 30%. Result, no retirement next year. Looking at our financial plan, I will have to work until I am at least 69 and probably 70. I would like to see the CEO's, CFO's and over-bonused senior managers of these failing financial institutions be made to pay back their last three years salaries, less say, $50K per year which is still a good salary for bosses of a failed company. I would also like to see the b@st@rds all in jail doing hard labour for the rest of their lives. Then, may they all burn in the fires of hell if there is such a place. Am I bitter................oh yes!

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 18:59   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I don't have stocks and shares but I do have a small nest egg, which I call my 'old age money'.

It is to provide me with teeth and glasses enough to see me out, and replace domestic electrical goods as they wear out (things aren't made to last anymore are they?)

The way this will affect me, I am not sure about, but what I have gleaned from the news so far-
Council tax increases
Closure of businesses and mass unemployment, which could trigger civil unrest and an increase in crime.

So we will suffer a deterioration in our standard of living.
I reckon my iron and hoover will last a lifetime
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 19:40   #26
God Member

Not too many worries here right now. Of course, we will suffer some of the nasty spinoff effects from our profligate neighbour to the south, and from Europe; but our banks, which didn't indulge in the ninja frenzy, are essentially sound. Our manufacturing sector is suffering some, but our huge reserves of oil, natural gas, uranium, potash, gold, lumber etc. will still be there when this mess is all over. The major factor which may hurt us, is a collapse of consumer confidence. We have a general election coming up next tuesday, and the mildly laissez-faire tories, who only headed a minority govt., look to have blown an early lead in the polls as Canadian voters head for the centre (Liberals), or the left of centre (New Democrats) The Greens are doing very well in the polls also.

And before I forget, I would like to wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving. Even with all the crap happening around the world and at home, we still have lots to be thankful for.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 20:56   #27
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
All about wear and tear Benipete .. no. of uses, etc...

I'm OK .. no money to lose and still can afford a fillet steak now and then.
Think we have lost sight of what real poverty is.

begging.pngslums.jpg
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 21:51   #28
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Bury your head in the sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
There is one item in my flat that is guaranteed to last for my lifetime.

Me!
Old 10-10-2008, 21:56   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post

Me!
Jim.....I think that answers your critics spot on.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 22:06   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post

Me!
yep..and we all love yah.. (note..got to calm down on the Eeees
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..