Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2008, 22:39   #1
God Member

Bury your head in the sand

Come on good people lets have your views on the current financial cock up.
Who gives a toss about conkers falling on your head?
Have you lost money....Do you stand to loose money?
The current situation is desperate.
Your money has been investsted in foreign banks.
The bank has gone tits up.
On who's advice was this money invested?
If you want to go on holiday the £ is up and down like a brides nighty.
Do you leave your money in the Bank?
This is a very serious subject and any flippant remark will be treated as such.
The question is are you solvent or not...if you are into a loan situation I would be worried.......Credit cards can put you in all kinds of trouble.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-10-2008, 22:48   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Bury your head in the sand

as someone once said, Frankly I Don't Give A Damn. that aint being flippant, but the peasants can do nothing all about it, have a few bob offshore, owt happens to that, i will be as sick as a parrot, but certainly won't worry, stress is a big killer,thats fact, it aint burying yer head in the sand its being sensible in my book, i got reasonable health fer me age, a top lady, great kids n grand daughter, so its que sera fer me.

Last edited by Mick; 10-10-2008 at 04:24.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 22:52   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
as someone once said, Frankly I Don't Give A Damn. that aint being flippant, but the peasants can do nothing all about it, have a few bob offshore, owt happens to that, i will be as sick as a parrot, but certainly won't worry, stress is a big killer,thats fact, it aint burying yer head in the sand its being sensible in my book, i got reasonable health fer me age, a top lady, great kids n grand daughter, so its que sera fer me.
Good on ya Pal................Live life to the full.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950

Last edited by Mick; 10-10-2008 at 04:25.
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 23:01   #4
Passed away 25-11-09

Well I have spread my meagre savings around. I have some in HSBC, some in a Building Society, some in Premium Bonds and some in ISAs. My big ISA is a Stocks and Shares one and it was just beginning to look healthy, after about 5 years, but the bottom has dropped out of Shares so I'm back to square one.

I have a credit card but I pay it off, in full, every time I use it. I don't use it to make big purchases, I tend to save up for them and pay cash. I'm one of those people who hates to be in debt, it's not in my nature, and I've always been a saver. Please don't think I'm mean because I'm not but I am cautious.

At the moment my money will stay where it is, particularly as the Government is saying it will guarantee savings up to £50K, but I've heard of a lot of people withdrawing their money in favour of the sock under the bed. It's a tempting prospect if the situation gets even worse.
Old 09-10-2008, 23:29   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
Well I have spread my meagre savings around. I have some in HSBC, some in a Building Society, some in Premium Bonds and some in ISAs. My big ISA is a Stocks and Shares one and it was just beginning to look healthy, after about 5 years, but the bottom has dropped out of Shares so I'm back to square one.

I have a credit card but I pay it off, in full, every time I use it. I don't use it to make big purchases, I tend to save up for them and pay cash. I'm one of those people who hates to be in debt, it's not in my nature, and I've always been a saver. Please don't think I'm mean because I'm not but I am cautious.

At the moment my money will stay where it is, particularly as the Government is saying it will guarantee savings up to £50K, but I've heard of a lot of people withdrawing their money in favour of the sock under the bed. It's a tempting prospect if the situation gets even worse.
i have my credit card set up,to pay all each month, but only use it 5/6 times a year, fer flights, concert tickets etc, as fer the sock under the bed- not fer this kid, will just sit n wait it out, it will take time obviously, but things have a habit of going Rescession- Boom- if history is owt to go off. n if i croak before things are on the up, so be it, it wouldn't be mine then anyway.
Old 09-10-2008, 23:46   #6
Resting in Peace

I still remember a little bit of advice I was given when I was quite young.
If you earn £50 and you spend £49 you will be alright.
If you spend £51 you will end up in trouble,I'm alright.

Well that was some time ago but the principle is still the same.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 23:48   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post

sound principle beni, but try telling that to some.
Old 10-10-2008, 00:11   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Think Charles Dickens had first call on that advice Benipete.

"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery." Mr Micawber, David Copperfield.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 00:21   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Think Charles Dickens had first call on that advice Benipete.

"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery." Mr Micawber, David Copperfield.
I must be younger than you. Got it second hand.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 00:36   #10
God Member

Quote:
I must be younger than you. Got it second hand.
Well I must be younger than both because its new to me. lol..
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:12   #11

So here we are lending the big banks all this money of ours (yes it is ours not Gordon Browns) and here we are seeing redundancies all around us, people being made unemployed. Yet try to ring someone at the bank and you get some guy in India or Malaysia or the Philippines anywhere but Britains
My point being that surely if we must prop up the banks it should have been made a condition that they bring some of these call centre jobs back to Britain and support our ecconomy?
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:33   #12
God Member

Ok folks, things are looking grim, but at least you don't need to sleep in an air raid shelter.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:46   #13
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
but certainly won't worry, stress is a big killer,thats fact, it aint burying yer head in the sand its being sensible in my book, i got reasonable health fer me age, a top lady, great kids n grand daughter, so its que sera fer me.
My philosophy too, Mr C! My job's starting to look a bit shakey (although Mrs H's job still looks sound, so at least we'll have one wage coming in). My pension, which I'm due to start drawing in around 8 year's time is, I would imagine, dropping in value by the hour. But I'm not worrying - got a nice senora, great family, good mates, plenty of interests. To be honest, more worried about Stanley's current position...
Old 10-10-2008, 08:58   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Who gives a toss about conkers falling on your head?
Probably more people than those who give a toss about someCambodian mud hut being cut in half

I agree with Cashy, us peasants can do very little about it apart from adapting accordingly, doubt if any of us will starve although I'm not looking forward to camping out for a few years if things get too rough
Old 10-10-2008, 09:35   #15
Senior Member+

Well I haven't two pennies to rub together, which is very good news to me, because I have nowt to lose when the big crash comes around. See, being poor has it's advantages.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..