Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2011, 09:53   #121
Beacon of light

Re: Bus passes

well, I hope he does get old and weary, and have to use whatever the authorities are willing to dole out to him.
I wish him a very interesting old age........maybe full of medical appointments that require travel on public transport. See if he changes his ideas then.
No-one gives me anything...and what is more I do not want them to.
I pay my own way in the world, and when I can't pay...then I won't go.

I think the people who think the bus pass is an expensive unnecessary expense on the public purse forget that many older people are excluded by the fact that they have difficulty getting about(not disabled, but no car to get about it)......this social exclusion is bad for their health, both physical and mental.
We all need a degree of social interaction in our lives(of one sort or another).
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-11-2011, 10:10   #122
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
well, I hope he does get old and weary, and have to use whatever the authorities are willing to dole out to him.
I wish him a very interesting old age........maybe full of medical appointments that require travel on public transport. See if he changes his ideas then.
No-one gives me anything...and what is more I do not want them to.
I pay my own way in the world, and when I can't pay...then I won't go.

I think the people who think the bus pass is an expensive unnecessary expense on the public purse forget that many older people are excluded by the fact that they have difficulty getting about(not disabled, but no car to get about it)......this social exclusion is bad for their health, both physical and mental.
We all need a degree of social interaction in our lives(of one sort or another).
That's spot on Margaret, I spend a lot of time in my home looking at four walls, and its always good when I'm able to interact with people, especially when I get the chance to make a trip down town, kinda makes life worth living
Old 03-11-2011, 10:21   #123
Beacon of light

Ma is much the same. We have just returned from a spell in North Wales and Ma was animated and transformed when she had company to talk to. She forget(well, for a time anyway) her aches and pains. She enjoyed new faces and says she slept really well.
She certainly enjoyed her grub.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:25   #124
Senior Member+

Quote:
Absolutely. When the Council tried to get everyone to pay their Council Tax by Direct Debit, so "saving them the trouble" of having to go to the cash office every month, many older people were up in arms.

"Trouble? What trouble? It's the highlight of our week coming into town and chatting to people when we come to pay our bills!" was the answer.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:31   #125
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
Absolutely. When the Council tried to get everyone to pay their Council Tax by Direct Debit, so "saving them the trouble" of having to go to the cash office every month, many older people were up in arms.

"Trouble? What trouble? It's the highlight of our week coming into town and chatting to people when we come to pay our bills!" was the answer.
Thats true gynn, the likes of my parents didn't know what a direct debit was never mind use them, they always used cash always paid on time, in fact my parents never even had a check book, in later years if they had to send a check through the post they would ask me to write the check for them and gave me the cash, how things have changed, even for me, the only thing I don't have on DD or SO is my credit card bill which I pay on line anyway
Old 03-11-2011, 11:43   #126
Beacon of light

Every Saturday we see an old lady(I hope she doesn't mind me calling her that - she is old in years, but in mind she is young)she uses her bus pass to go into town just to get a paper and two custards. She tells us that she enjoys the company of the folk on the bus....she happily chats to whoever is sat next to her.
My husband seeks her out because thay both like to have a good old chinwag.
For the rest of the week the lady is on her own....she looks forward to her trip to town, but she is nearly always on the next bus back home.
Old 03-11-2011, 13:16   #127
God Member

Just checked the City of Kingston website ... Kingston Transit offers discounts to seniors on monthly bus passes. For seniors, a pass costs $46.25. There are also discounts for low income families. The only free pass available is one for carers. Kingston, like other municipalities, owns and operates its own buses. These are paid for out of municipal tax revenues, sometimes supplemented by the Provincial govt. Students at Queen's University can ride the bus for free, using their student cards. However, Queen's student government pays Kingston Transit a lump sum for this privelege.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 14:10   #128
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Just checked the City of Kingston website ... Kingston Transit offers discounts to seniors on monthly bus passes.
Can they get off earlier, if they don't want to stay on there the whole month?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 14:16   #129
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Can they get off earlier, if they don't want to stay on there the whole month?

Of course not ... they are nailed to the seats
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 14:25   #130
God Member

Quote:
I noticed, but it incenses me when folk think the bus pass is free.
Nice to see you're back Margaret -our ships passed in the night.

I also have always called it a "free" bus pass as that's what i've always heard it called -my Uncle calls his that and my Grandparents in the past. Perhaps just "bus pass" is better.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 16:18   #131
Beacon of light

Yes Mobertol....I hope you had a very pleasant visit. ( I see you caught the Elbow bug while you were here).
Yes, that the bus pass is free, is a huge misconception.

Anyone who pays council tax, or pays income tax, or any other kind of levy to the government, is actually paying for the privilege of using their bus pass......but because you don't actually hand over money to get it(although there is an administration fee...can't now remember how much it is) people see it as being free.
Old 03-11-2011, 16:20   #132
Beacon of light

The NHS is viewed to be a free service.......but we all pay into that....it is just free at the point of use...paid for in advance by taxes and National Insurance contributions.
Old 03-11-2011, 17:57   #133
Resting in Peace

Quote:
The NHS is viewed to be a free service.......but we all pay into that....it is just free at the point of use...paid for in advance by taxes and National Insurance contributions.
The only trouble there Margaret is that the NHS recently wrote of millions of pounds that couldn't be obtained from health care tourist, is it any wonder that some people in other countries arrange there holidays to coincide with the birth of a child knowing they will be able to have it here were in there own country it would cost thousands
Old 03-11-2011, 18:57   #134
Beacon of light

Yes John, you are perfectly right there.......and this is an unwarranted drain on the public purse..unlike bus passes.
My point was, that the NHS is free at the point of service, but it isn't a free service we pay for it by the levy of National Insurance and tax.

The NHS has the power to charge health tourists.
Old 03-11-2011, 19:05   #135
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Yes John, you are perfectly right there.......and this is an unwarranted drain on the public purse..unlike bus passes.
My point was, that the NHS is free at the point of service, but it isn't a free service we pay for it by the levy of National Insurance and tax.

The NHS has the power to charge health tourists.
Ya but they don't, if your in the states the first question they ask you is whats your credit card number if you have no health insurance but I suppose it isn't cricket to do that here its not the good old british way, then we end up righting of £60 million from the NHS coffers, wonderful

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..