Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-08-2003, 16:07   #1
I am Banned

Post Bus Station moving ??

Whats all this. Read a letter in the Observer letters page mentioning Bussy moving.. As I ahvent had an observer for the last couple of weeks am I to take it I have missed summat?

There not moving it to near the railway station are they?

I live near to that and we dont need no bus station on our doorstep.

Whats the story?  Or have I got the wrong end of the stick (Again )
HarryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-08-2003, 16:22   #2
Caz
God Member

Post Re: Bus Station moving ??

It was the council plan to build a bus terminus near the railway station on Eagle St, but cost has now ruled that out apparently, so improvements are being made around the present set up. Supposedly with new bus stops being placed at various points around the town centre.

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2003, 16:44   #3
I am Banned

Phew was worried there for a sec  Fanx!
HarryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2003, 19:23   #4
Resting in Peace

That so called bus station is a death trap it really needs sorting out
BEFORE someone is killed.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2003, 00:16   #5
Caz
God Member

Looks like we're going back to the fifties again, with bus stops all over the place.

Seem to remember catching Nelson buses on Melbourne St (in front of DHS) at one stage, and there were stops in front of the Townhall, and on Union St amongst other places. How they're going to do it now though I don't know. Different road layouts, more car traffic.

In the fifties more people went by bus than travelled by car.  Can remember busloads of people coming in from places like Haslingden to shop in Accy. They were about every ten minutes and always packed full.

Trouble is with Accy it's such a compact town centre.
A guy who wrote a letter to the Observer had one solution. Using the Electricity St site and laying on shuttle buses from there to town. Think the land's been earmarked for stores though.  But there must be somewhere that idea could be used. It's been done in other towns.

- Oscar Wilde
Old 17-08-2003, 15:17   #6
Resting in Peace

[quote author=cazzer link=board=general;num=1060963655;start=0#4 date=08/17/03 at 01:16:15]Looks like we're going back to the fifties again, with bus stops all over the place.

Seem to remember catching Nelson buses on Melbourne St (in front of DHS) at one stage, and there were stops in front of the Townhall, and on Union St amongst other places. How they're going to do it now though I don't know. Different road layouts, more car traffic.

In the fifties more people went by bus than travelled by car. Can remember busloads of people coming in from places like Haslingden to shop in Accy. They were about every ten minutes and always packed full.

Trouble is with Accy it's such a compact town centre.
A guy who wrote a letter to the Observer had one solution. Using the Electricity St site and laying on shuttle buses from there to town. Think the land's been earmarked for stores though. But there must be somewhere that idea could be used. It's been done in other towns.[/quote]
Just to let you know the DHSS is not in melbourne house anymore.
its with the job centre is know
Old 17-08-2003, 15:26   #7
Caz
God Member

I knew that. It's now on Oak St with the Job Centre.

They are still using offices in there as far as I know though.

Plus the DHSS was on Melbourne St when the Nelson buses stopped there, in a different building, other side, pre-Eastgate

Seems you have to go to Orchard St in Blackburn for a lot of things now.
Ridiculous.

- Oscar Wilde
Old 17-08-2003, 15:33   #8
Resting in Peace

yes nowhere around here is there ???

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..