Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-09-2011, 06:07   #1
Senior Member+

Cage Fighting

Sick! Cage fighting for kids is slammed by experts as “barbaric” - mirror.co.uk

What do you make of this story? Made my jaw drop that this sort of thing is happening in a social club in Preston.

The sooner these two kids are taken into care by Social Services and their parents arrested, the better!.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-09-2011, 06:24   #2

Re: Cage Fighting

I fully agree but its just another indication of the moral and social decline of this country over the past 15 to 20 years.
b rawlinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 06:32   #3
Resting in Peace

Just seen it on TV, if adults want to participate in this "sport" then fair enough but kids, if parents want their kids to learn to defend themselves are are other types of self defences taught in most areas which are well scrutinised
Old 22-09-2011, 07:28   #4
God Member

My 7 year old is preparing for his black belt at ju-jitsu but theres no way in hell i would allow him to cage fight.Its one thing to teach your children discipline and self defense but cage fighting is neither it is pure aggression and should be restricted to adults.

What sort of parent could stand to watch their child get hurt this way beggars belief

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 07:46   #5
Give, give, give member

I was disgusted.

I asked for my money back.

Just as soon as I realised that the cages don't actually fight other cages.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 07:48   #6
God Member

Jaysay tried cage fighting in his younger years

the budgie won in the 3rd round by submission

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 22-09-2011, 08:13   #7
God Member

Footage Of Children As Young As Eight Grappling At A Cage Fighting Event Causes Controversy | UK News | Sky News

See more on here including video footage. The actual discipline of mixed martial arts is good for some kids as long as they aren't pushed into it by their parents.
What was sick in this case were 200 beer swilling adults inciting them and dreadful TV style sensational commentary by a compere. The child that cried will carry the scars for the rest of his life -especially if he finds out it was on the telly!
I expect the parents of those two boys shown received some money......

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 08:53   #8
Full Member+

Not as shocking as a news story from a few years back about tramps being paid to fight one-another in the street and people betting on the outcome....Gladiator Hobo's!!
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 09:15   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2qec View Post
Not as shocking as a news story from a few years back about tramps being paid to fight one-another in the street and people betting on the outcome....Gladiator Hobo's!!
wasnt the original called bum wars ?

something like $100 to the winner

Old 22-09-2011, 13:13   #10
God Member

Sounds a little extreme ... well, a lot extreme; right up there with dwarf bowling and dwarf tossing ... the kind of thing the English rugby team likes to watch (Talking of rugby, I remember Sam Wignall and Jock Bentley initiating us into the joys of full contact rugby at the advanced age of eleven.) It does say a lot about the spectators, and not much of that "lot" is positive. Come to think of it, these exhibitions seem to have a great deal in common with beauty pagents for eight-year-old girls.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 15:59   #11
God Member

nowt wrong with dwarf tossing as long as they are adult and consent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
these exhibitions seem to have a great deal in common with beauty pagents for eight-year-old girls.
yup mummy isnt pretty enough to win owt so they push their daughters into it and most likely the fathers in this case couldn't punch their way out of a paper bag so get junior in on teh action.

Also in both cases the parents/ managers as is usually the case will have power to spend any money earned

Last edited by accyman; 22-09-2011 at 16:02.
Old 22-09-2011, 16:43   #12
God Member

Seems like another "Americanism" has crossed the pond ... I think it was Mencken, or someone like that, who came up with something like "No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public." Looks like "Preston" (and no doubt other places, Moose Jaw comes to mind) would fit right in there.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 17:23   #13
God Member

its just occured to me that someone could be visiting local martial arts clubs and recruiting kids for this as they will need some level of martial arts experience .Ideally anyone running such a place would sling anyone out who was asking for kids to fight in these events but sadly not all places have the scruples you would expect

Old 22-09-2011, 17:41   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
Jaysay tried cage fighting in his younger years

the budgie won in the 3rd round by submission
Wish you'd get things right the budgie had to retire with a badley plucked wing
Old 22-09-2011, 17:43   #15
Resting in Peace

The thing that worries me is there are people who will actually pay to see this and call it entertainment.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..