Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-01-2017, 20:56   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Call 105, How re-assuring, Or Not?

Just seen an advert, if you have a power cut, don't panic just call the new emergency service, 105.

Now, call me a pessimist if you will but somehow, I don't really like the idea of a new number to ring if I have a power cut, I've manged to survive many power cuts without ringing any number, because power cuts were very, very, rare.

Is this new service an indication that power cuts are to become common place?

If so, what use is ringing 105 to have someone confirm that the reason I can't see the keypad in front of my nose is because I'm suffering a power cut.

I think I would prefer life where I don't need to ring 105 because I don't ever suffer a power cut, that to me is service.

Power Cut? Call 105 Free | Report & Solve Electricity Issues
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-01-2017, 22:54   #3
Senior Member+

Re: Call 105, How re-assuring, Or Not?

We have a lot more equipment that rely on electric nowadays though,I'd say this new No is probably just a safety measure to combat the overwhelming amount of calls energy company's get during a blackout by folk wondering when they'll be able to play with their train sets again

I remember the days when powercuts were frequent,folk had to adapt and cope without electric because there was no numbers to ring,folk were aware that if there was a blackout at home then they needed to be prepared.
We kept candles,torches and had a wireless that ran on batteries and we just got on with life until the lights came back on.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 08:57   #4
God Member

i got told by an electritian that came out doing repairs one time that the main cause is when they build new housing estates and dont upgrade the substation

maybe its cheaper to put a 105 number than it is to ensure a substation can cope with the extra demand

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 09:14   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

A bloke looking for an underground fault on the other side of my road a few years ago told me they lost many of the underground cable drawings years ago in my area. I can't remember if he said it was a fire or something else.
Old 19-01-2017, 09:14   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie R View Post
Always got candles in,just in case.

Power strikes and The 3 day week aren`t forgotten.
No they aren't and it's memories such as those that make me wonder why we suddenly need an emergency number are those days about to return?
Old 19-01-2017, 09:50   #7
Beacon of light

My dear old ma gets a lot of power cuts.
We were told that this is because the substation that services her supply is subject to flooding.
This short number will be a help to her as it will enable her to get in touch with them easily.
She is down on their list as 'vulnerable' I don't know if this makes a difference, but they always ring her to find out if she is OK after the cut.
I have made sure that she has torches all over the house, but the main problem is her 'lifeline'...it puts in a call to me if her power is off for 4 hours or more.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 10:05   #8

Better safe than sorry I suppose, I'll get some extra tinned goods in, after all, most pubs rely on electric pumps these days.
maxthecollie likes this.
Old 19-01-2017, 12:49   #9

Here's a prediction from about a year ago, 105 phone line is obviously the Governments solution to any shortfall in power.
https://www.theguardian.com/business...al-authorities
Old 19-01-2017, 18:16   #10

Less, just checking - your tin opener is not electric is it? lol
I'm sure we have a manual one somewhere in the draw

A lot would pick up the phone and try and call this new number only to find that they cannot because the phones need elektrickery to run too.
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 18:51   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowSix View Post
Less, just checking - your tin opener is not electric is it? lol
I'm sure we have a manual one somewhere in the draw

A lot would pick up the phone and try and call this new number only to find that they cannot because the phones need elektrickery to run too.
Thank you for your concern, however the cans I buy always have ring pulls on them.
yes, even that stuff.

As for phones, landlines have back up batteries built in circuit and mobiles well, it's an 0800 number so would you really pay extra to your supplier just to be told, 'yes your power is off at the moment and will stay off until it comes back on again'.

Last edited by Less; 19-01-2017 at 18:54.
Old 20-01-2017, 07:57   #12
Senior Member+

We keep a spare corded phone for if ever there is a power cut.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 11:20   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
We keep a spare corded phone for if ever there is a power cut.
We have a corded phone in the bedroom, the ringer is always switched off but it's there in case needed
Old 20-01-2017, 11:51   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

We couldn't care less if we have a power cut tough, wait while it comes back always did n were still here.
Old 20-01-2017, 12:30   #15
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

It depends how long it's off for. Some people have medical equipment at home that needs power. What about keeping older people warm with no electricity if it's off for a long time? They might just feel happy being reassured it's only going to be off an hour or two.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..