Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-07-2004, 11:00   #16
Member.

Re: Campaign To Keep The Arndale Clock

Its unique (I think?) and its a talking point... its one of the things people remember when they visit.... love it or hate it..its an accy thing and has been taken away... for a cafe ?

I’m forced to agree; I also agree that perhaps that the local population should get out of the malaise that seems to have enveloped them and attempt to make a difference.

Hang about – “I’ve been call out to the office” I will return to this subject shortly.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-07-2004, 11:14   #17
God Member

And now the bad news... It would seem the stories of a possible resurrection may be false thus making this campaign even more important for anyone who cares.

I have just spoken to a contact at the Accy observer who in turn spoke to the other reporters and the Editor. They say as far as they know there are no plans to bring it back anywhere (Lets face it they probably would know) But they very nicely agreed to look into the matter furthur for me... Which I thought was more than good of them...

I am now in the process of contacting the council and the arndale center

yeagh yeagh dont worry... I use a spell checker for important emails
Old 13-07-2004, 11:39   #18
Resident Waffler

Keep up the good work Kipax. I'm right behind you.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2004, 14:21   #19

And I'm further behind....Keep it up Kipax....good work!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2004, 16:55   #20
Roy
Administrator

Not long before the clock was removed I showed it to my now wife, and she was impressed. It was working, fine. Also, I am an engineer and that clock would not take much repairing to make it work IF it did fail. I do not believe it failed. Our council cannot be trusted on things like this... Cafe offers money, council say YAY! End of story. Make story up that stupid public accept and believe! As usual public accept and forget... Maybe this website is doing something good and helping people come together where things like the observer fail miserably..? Even though this thread is old and there is another thread somewhere where people offered to help/fix clock but it was all to late because on the day the observer announced it may be going, it had already gone - thats how much the council like to keep us informed... tsk.. spit... etc..

(offtopic, no chance of a link now eh?)
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2004, 17:08   #21
Resident Waffler

I remember it was not working when I went one day specifically to show someone what it did. Presumably as the creataor was in on the dismantling he would be fully aware of any repairs needed or not.

I wonder if it would do any good if we tried to contact him?

(what link?)

Old 13-07-2004, 17:08   #22
I am Band

Well said Royski!
I'm sure that between us, there is enough ability and means to get it up and running again, assuming that our duly elected and trusted? council haven't already trashed it.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2004, 17:29   #23
Member.

I never knew that roy was a radical………excellent. Now I am on side, so what’s next.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2004, 17:30   #24
God Member

Actually, regarding the Arndale Centre, I seem to remember that a few years ago the council sold it's interest in the building. The figure of £110,000 sticks in my mind for some reason. So I would guess that the people you need to talk to are the buildings owners, you know, the ones who won't allow you to take photographs in there, in case you are an international terrorist intent on destroying Accrington's retail base. Everyone knows, that job is reserved for the council.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2004, 19:35   #25
God Member

I already contacted Andy Plant.. Am awaiting a response... Same with Council and greg pope (wont hold my breath) Only the Observer so far have shown any interest in helping.

I have only just started

But can anyone tell me who owns the Arndale or a contact info for the arndale center?
Old 13-07-2004, 19:49   #26
I am Band

I think the Arndale was sold by Hyndburn Council to a property company that had 'Admiral' in their name. It was again sold by them a couple of years back. Sorry to be so vague.
Maybe the Accy Observer can help with their archive.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2004, 19:49   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp

(what link?)
There was some mention (many moons ago) and a little debate if i remember rightly, about the observer not giving a link to accweb from there website..

Slightly off topic i know, but i'm up for helping in anyway possible as i pointed out in another thread somewhere..
I'll see if i can find a link for the newer members.

People work for money!
If you want loyalty, get a dog!!!
WINGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2004, 19:51   #28

This may be of no interest but i found the thread from feb when the removal was first mentioned.
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/s...=arndale+clock

People work for money!
If you want loyalty, get a dog!!!
WINGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2004, 19:57   #29
God Member

Just had an email from Andy Plant the guy who made it... Will check to see if I can post it on here.. The jist is that he doesn't know anythign other than there was talk of putting it in the market hal but wasn't hopefull of that happening... Other bits of info... Stay tuned

Still need phone number for arndale anyone ?

UPDATE: I have a contact name for the arndale from Andy Plant.. But no number

Last edited by KIPAX; 13-07-2004 at 20:03.
KIPAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2004, 20:38   #30
Resident Waffler

Slightly off topic (but only slightly) I think P&O used to have something to do with the Arndale once didn't they?

Have you let Andy Plant know that his now defunct clock has got a fan club here on AccyWeb?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..