Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-07-2004, 12:37   #106
Caz
God Member

Re: Campaign To Keep The Arndale Clock

Library is out of the question. Supposed to be quiet places.
Sports Centre - can't think where, the only places in there with ceilings possibly high enough are used as sports halls, the foyer isn't big enough or high enough.

Same with the college, only places maybe high enough and big enough there would be the gym or main hall. These are regularly used for exams so thats not an option. In any case the college isn't a place where the public in general go on a regular basis unless they are studying.

Can't help thinking it shouldn't be in any retail establishment that isn't owned by the council, otherwise the same thing could be happening again in a few years time.

Quite like Bob's idea of it being integrated into the Bus/Rail development some how if undercover space is available.
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-07-2004, 05:26   #107
God Member

>>Library is out of the question. Supposed to be quiet places.<<

Have you been in the library lately? It is more like a meeting place for the Fishwives and Mill Girls Social Club, than a place of study. And then there are the 'hyperactive' little darlings running all over the place. 'Hyperactive' being the current fashionable excuse for ill-behaved and wilful children.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2004, 15:01   #108
Resident Waffler

Excuse a slight thread wander while I agree with Bob for a minute there. I was trying to study in the reference library not long ago and a group of kids with (presumably) a teacher were also there and making enough of a disturbance to put me totally off what I was doing. I was naive enough to think that the reference library of all places should be a quiet haven for study so I approached the member of staff at the desk to ask if they could request a bit of hush. I was told that if I wanted a quieter location I could opt to lock myself in a private cubicle! Apparently chattering in the reference library is now considered acceptable.

This idea of the clock as a focal point of new train/bus station sounds good. Any idea how long it will be before that is likely to be created and will the clock be safe meanwhile?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2004, 00:08   #109

I just noticed your tribute website Willow.
Gobsmacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2004, 12:08   #110
God Member

Nine days after sending a FAX/Letter to the council and Nine days after they have recieved it. Still no reply.

Greg Pope offered to write to them at the same time. A letter would have been recieved 5-7 days ago.. Nothing from GP as yet

The council arn't exactly well known for the speed they act so I guess we wait.

The Accrington Observer have agreed to do a story on the whole thing and have agreed to feature this website as it brought us all together as a community to do something good... For reason I ain't going to go into I have declined to be a part of the article or be interviewed.. This is an accyweb.com thing
Old 04-08-2004, 12:59   #111
God Member

It is now two weeks since Hyndburn council recieved my fax regarding there decision on the offer made to them by the arndale manager to relocate the arndale clock.

The clock designer, the Accy observer, The Arndale manager and even Greg Pope MP have all responded withing a reasonable time. But not the Hyndburn council who two weeks later havent even had the good manners to at least aknowledge the correspondence let alone answer it.

I have just phoned the appropriate appartment to be spoken to by a very off hand secretary whos attitude can only be described as annoyed at being disturbed by a phone call... Who informed me that the person I need to speak to is out of the office and wil be given my message tommorow.

I ahve purposely not told you who.. But If I ahve no reply by end of office hours tommorow I will publish his Tel, Fax, email and postal details so you can all ask him why he is ignoring us

Meanwhile the Observer ahve informed me that the Arndale clock story is done and "should" be in this weeks Obsever.. this I presume will mean excellent publicity for accyweb.com as a community who can at least come together and try to make a difference. I believe they have spoken to Roy and Atarah (not me by my request) So looking forward to that
Old 04-08-2004, 13:05   #112
Member.

Is there any chance that we can have the Observers report scanned an put up on the site KIPAX for those of out of the area.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 14:58   #113
God Member

If it isn't published on the observer website then yes... good idea
Old 04-08-2004, 15:23   #114
God Member

Good work, Kipax. Though I cannot say that I am at all surprised by HBC's snotty secretary and lack of response. They seem to regard us plebs as something of an inconvenience. When this thread was first raised I contacted the councillor for my ward, needless to say the response was much the same, ie no response at all. This is where being polite gets you. Still, I suppose that you have to try the conventional route first.

If you get no response by tomorrow you can count on a letter to the tardy official from me.
Old 04-08-2004, 17:21   #115
God Member

Yeah, well done Kipax...you're like a good dog with a rat in it's mouth - you've not let go on this one.
I'm just wondering if it it not be worth sending a letter to to the local goverment omburdsman detailing the gross incompetance of this council and it's employees on the matter.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 09:22   #116
God Member

just been told by my contact at the observer that the story is FRONT PAGE

Now I am worried.. I hope they did accyweb.com proud...
Old 05-08-2004, 09:29   #117
Roy
Administrator

Oh dear... when I spoke to them I had no idea this was lined up for front page!! :O I am also worried! What time are they available?
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 09:33   #118
God Member

Hope its not a shot ourselves in the foot situation...

signed....worried of accrington.....

PS... Cheer up.. all publicity is good publicity.....erk
Old 05-08-2004, 09:48   #119
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Roy, the Newsagents at the bottom of Whalley Rd 'Mulla's' normally has Observers for sale by about 4.30pm on Thursdays, I believe Asda has them by Thursday evenings too. It may be worth trying your local newsagent at tea time.

Well done Kipax..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 09:55   #120
mez
God Member

oo i think we will all be dashing out for them, i plugged accyweb & the clock when they rang up for details bout micks do ////ive got my bags packed he he he he

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..