Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-12-2012, 16:27   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Can We Really Listen To A Book?

Umpteen thousand titles listen, on the go.
But, does it beat a good read?
Turning the pages, re-reading a paragraph just to make sure you understood the author?
Nah, if I want to listen radio 4's afternoon theatre.
If I want to read give me old fashioned pages.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-12-2012, 17:03   #2
God Member

Re: Can We Really Listen To A Book?

An audio book is akin to 'storytelling' which was in regular use in the days before populations became literate, and was the way that history was related to later generations.

I spend most of my waking time reading - webpages and (paper) books.
This can result in eyestrain sometimes, so I find it convenient to give my eyes a rest by listening to an audio book or radio dramas.

All three - paper, audio, and ebooks - are equally useful.
Judith Addison likes this.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 17:06   #3
Beacon of light

I can see the value of audiobooks, but I prefer to read myself...whether this be on a conventional book or on my very well used and much loved Kindle...and if Santa is listening...I could do with a new one...please!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 17:15   #4
Super Moderator

I couldn't listen to a book - I read a book and listen to music.

Thread wander alert:
Margaret, why do you want a new kindle? Not worn the other one out already, have you?
Old 19-12-2012, 17:15   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Well it does save kids learning to read.
Old 19-12-2012, 17:41   #6
Beacon of light

No, but it had a dickie fit a couple of months ago......I was rescued by the amazon technical department, sometimes it will switch on and sometimes it won't.(I put the charger on it and leave it for a while and cross my fingers when switching it on)
I bought it second hand and I have had every single penny of my money out of it.
If it died I would really really miss it.
I almost bought myself a Kobo reader the other week when I visited Manchester, but decided I would wait until after Christmas.......it maybe that somebody will get a kindle for a present and not get on with it, and put it up for sale on E-bay...and I'll be in like Flynn.
Old 19-12-2012, 18:18   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
No, but it had a dickie fit a couple of months ago......I was rescued by the amazon technical department, sometimes it will switch on and sometimes it won't.(I put the charger on it and leave it for a while and cross my fingers when switching it on)
I bought it second hand and I have had every single penny of my money out of it.
If it died I would really really miss it.
I almost bought myself a Kobo reader the other week when I visited Manchester, but decided I would wait until after Christmas.......it maybe that somebody will get a kindle for a present and not get on with it, and put it up for sale on E-bay...and I'll be in like Flynn.
This is something that has bothered me, being a technophobe. What happens to all the books you've bought and stored on your kindle if it dies? Do you just lose them?
Old 19-12-2012, 18:24   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
This is something that has bothered me, being a technophobe.
Glad yer in Peru.
Wynonie Harris likes this.
Old 19-12-2012, 18:26   #9
God Member

I have ebooks stored on my PC as well as my ebook reader.

Mine are all freebies so arrive as a download to my PC.

I also download audio books free.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 18:38   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Glad yer in Peru.
So am I. 74oF today!
Old 19-12-2012, 18:46   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Thing that concerns me wi this book listening, i remember not being oer the moon,when kids were told to use calculators at school, people laughed when i said many kids would not be able to add up, I reckon me point was proved a few years later by some of the intellects working in shops. This could easily end up the same.
Old 19-12-2012, 19:05   #12
Beacon of light

No Steve, the books I bought from amazon are archived and although I lost them when the machine crashed, I was able to download them from the archive........the other stuff was lost(but I have most of the books on an external hard drive separate from my computer).
If I do by some chance get a new one from Santa, then all the books I have bought from amazon can be transferred....and anyone who buy s Kindle Fire from amazon will find it already registered and their current books(bought from Amazon) on it.
I only know this because my best friend has had one bought for her...and she told me that the set up was fast and trouble free(she had asked me to help her set it up if she was struggling).
Wynonie Harris and MITZY like this.
Old 19-12-2012, 19:51   #13
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
No Steve, the books I bought from amazon are archived and although I lost them when the machine crashed, I was able to download them from the archive........the other stuff was lost(but I have most of the books on an external hard drive separate from my computer).
If I do by some chance get a new one from Santa, then all the books I have bought from amazon can be transferred....and anyone who buy s Kindle Fire from amazon will find it already registered and their current books(bought from Amazon) on it.
I only know this because my best friend has had one bought for her...and she told me that the set up was fast and trouble free(she had asked me to help her set it up if she was struggling).
Right, thanks, Margaret, that's good to know if my kindle ever goes West!
Old 19-12-2012, 20:20   #14
Beacon of light

Ooh, for your sake, I do hope it doesn't.
But if it does, you know that all is not lost...but just to be on the safe side I would open a file on your computer and put your favourite books in there.......you can then reload them without any problems at all.
it is only when things go wrong you think 'Damn, I should have done that'.
We really do rely on our gadgets...and when they go wrong the likes of you and me, are sunk.
Wynonie Harris likes this.
Old 19-12-2012, 23:01   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Nah, if I want to listen radio 4's afternoon theatre.

Stephen King used to have his children reading novels that he never had time to read himself(listened to them in the car)back in the day. He (if you have the time to seek it out) has a really good point/opinion about audio books

Please Less. Do not compare Audiobooks to BBC Radio Drama again. *

* In this case. BBC Radio drama is usually a recording of a full cast performance, that is usually an abridged piece of mediocre fiction

Last edited by Restless; 19-12-2012 at 23:07.
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..