Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2009, 19:51   #16

Re: Canadian Troops out of Afghanistan

Did you actually think that the war in Iraq and now Afghanistan and later maybe Iran is about anything else but oil.
Pheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-11-2009, 23:50   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
It has recently come to my notice that the war in Afghanistan appears to be about the difficulty in laying an OIL pipeline across Helmund province whilst the Taliban are actively sabotaging the efforts
Trans-Afghanistan Pipeline - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
....so anyone under the impression that this war is to promote democracy needs to rethink that.
oh yes... heard this one before along with another theory that's been knocking about which is that "the west" are trying to build supply lines through Aftganhistan ahead of the planned ground attack on Russia,
the conspiranoids are starting to bore me silly.
this war, or if you like invasion by NATO, started because the Taliban Government were training terrorists and Al-Qeada, they openly stated Bin Laden was part of that Government and had organized the 9/11 attack... now if anyone thinks they should have been left to thier own devices they are nut nuts!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 23:53   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

anyone can put any owd crap in Wikipedia or so i'm told.
Old 11-11-2009, 00:39   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
anyone can put any owd crap in Wikipedia or so i'm told.
Two Other sources -
The Debate: Did oil influence America's decision to invade Afghanistan? Were the true motives for war declared? Read our detailed report and sign the online petition for a public statement from the American government. TheDebate.org - Debating curren

Is an Oil Pipeline Behind the War in Afghanistan?

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:37   #20
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
anyone can put any old crap in Wikipedia or so i'm told.
Ya cashy they can, I've even heard on the grape vine than on Wikipedia it says Mancie's a raving right wing capitalist
Old 11-11-2009, 14:40   #21
God Member

Aye, Cashy.....anyone can put any 'owd crap on Wikipedia....just as they can put any 'owd on here. See post no's 15 & 19 on here - total loonacy.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 14:47   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Aye, Cashy.....anyone can put any 'owd crap on Wikipedia....just as they can put any 'owd on here. See post no's 15 & 19 on here - total loonacy.
...and I wont be starting a fan club for you either

PS 'lunacy' - if you have to be insulting, spell it correctly

Last edited by MargaretR; 11-11-2009 at 14:52.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 18:46   #23
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Jim take no notice of Mancie, anybody who reads the Mail is a Tory an should be abused. You have a grandson to be proud of, I hope he keeps safe along with all our lads and lasses out there.
The Daily Mail was once a good, middle of the road newspaper that prided itself on reporting facts, but successive changes of editor have succeeded into turning it into a gossip riddled women's magazine. If people are sad enough to allow newspaper editorials to inluence the way they vote, then they deserve the sort of weak, crass administration that we are currently encumbered with. Scanning the C.V's of the current crop of M.P's in Westminster, theres nothing to suggest that any one of them is capable of leading us out of the mess that we now find ourselves. And meanwhile, the bankers are purported to be lining themselves up for huge bonuses extracted from our back-pockets.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 20:06   #24
God Member

Hey ... and the great news is, we are out of there in 2011 ... everyone of the Canadian service personel in Afghanistan will be coming home ... no exceptions, everyone ... this according to General Walter Natynczyk, (don't worry about the pronunciation; just one more example of our multi-cultural society), Chief of Defense Staff ... we are out of there .... fantastic. For over five years, at the cost of 133 lives, fighting above our weight in Kandahar, one of the most dangerous places in that country, the men and women have done us all proud. No one can say that we have not done our bit ... but, esp. after the recent bullcrap elections, it's time to leave.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:37   #25
God Member

[quote=Stumped;762297]The Daily Mail was once a good, middle of the road newspaper that prided itself on reporting facts, but successive changes of editor have succeeded into turning it into a gossip riddled women's magazine. If people are sad enough to allow newspaper editorials to inluence the way they vote, then they deserve the sort of weak, crass administration that we are currently encumbered with. Scanning the C.V's of the current crop of M.P's in Westminster, theres nothing to suggest that any one of them is capable of leading us out of the mess that we now find ourselves. And meanwhile, the bankers are purported to be lining themselves up for huge bonuses extracted from our back-pockets.[/quote]

Don't forget all the civil servants from the MOD who will be collecting bonuses ..........
Ministry of Defence officials paid £47 million in bonuses - Telegraph

since when is a civil servant entitled to a bonus ? as the saying goes ...show me a productive civil servant and I'll show my ar** in Burtons window
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:14   #26
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
....fighting above our weight.....
I don't think that is a fair comment to make
Old 12-11-2009, 09:34   #27
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumped View Post
The Daily Mail was once a good, middle of the road newspaper that prided itself on reporting facts, but successive changes of editor have succeeded into turning it into a gossip riddled women's magazine. If people are sad enough to allow newspaper editorials to inluence the way they vote, then they deserve the sort of weak, crass administration that we are currently encumbered with. Scanning the C.V's of the current crop of M.P's in Westminster, theres nothing to suggest that any one of them is capable of leading us out of the mess that we now find ourselves. And meanwhile, the bankers are purported to be lining themselves up for huge bonuses extracted from our back-pockets.
Firstly Stumped nobody influences the way I vote, and I can hardly see any of the present government reading the Daily Mail, can you
Old 12-11-2009, 16:58   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I don't think that is a fair comment to make
Indeed it is ... if one talks in terms of military capacity we are a small country ... even more than you guys, our mission in Afghanistan put major strains on our armed forces ... the casualties the Canadian Armed Forces have suffered seriously depleted the core of our army, in particular, the highly trained non-coms .... following the Korean conflict, Canadian Armed Forces operated as peace keepers, often wearing the blue berret of the UN ... only since Bosnia and the first Gulf War, have our forces taken on more of a combat role. Canadian troops are as well trained and as brave as any; but there aren't all that many of them. They did what was asked of them, fighting skillfully and courageously along side the US and the UK, while countries such as Germany and France more or less sat on the sidelines. Our government extended our commitment until 2011 .... that's what we promised and thats what we will do. But that's it.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 17:30   #29
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
while countries such as Germany and France more or less sat on the sidelines.
Now that is something that is true.

Then again the French would probably only surrender anyway
Old 12-11-2009, 17:40   #30
God Member

Quote:
Indeed it is ... if one talks in terms of military capacity we are a small country ... even more than you guys, our mission in Afghanistan put major strains on our armed forces ... the casualties the Canadian Armed Forces have suffered seriously depleted the core of our army, in particular, the highly trained non-coms .... following the Korean conflict, Canadian Armed Forces operated as peace keepers, often wearing the blue berret of the UN ... only since Bosnia and the first Gulf War, have our forces taken on more of a combat role. Canadian troops are as well trained and as brave as any; but there aren't all that many of them. They did what was asked of them, fighting skillfully and courageously along side the US and the UK, while countries such as Germany and France more or less sat on the sidelines. Our government extended our commitment until 2011 .... that's what we promised and thats what we will do. But that's it.
i cant comment on your army but i often joke with my canadian friends about your navy

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..