Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-09-2009, 14:37   #1

Canadian Troops out of Afghanistan

I have just read in the Mail on Sunday that the Canadians have had enough in Afghanistan and are bringing their boys home. Good on them. If only our government would stop trying to please the Yanks and do the same.
By the way --I thought you would like to knom thet my Grandson Tony has just got back from Afghanistan and has been awarded the Queens Medal for Gallantry and will be going to the Palace to receive it. You can imagine how proud my family are but his Grandad has given him a right bollcking. Keep your head down lad. It is not worth it putting your life on the line for these chancers in our present Government.
Jim Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-09-2009, 22:16   #2
God Member

Re: Canadian Troops out of Afghanistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Procter View Post
I have just read in the Mail on Sunday that the Canadians have had enough in Afghanistan and are bringing their boys home. Good on them. If only our government would stop trying to please the Yanks and do the same.
By the way --I thought you would like to knom thet my Grandson Tony has just got back from Afghanistan and has been awarded the Queens Medal for Gallantry and will be going to the Palace to receive it. You can imagine how proud my family are but his Grandad has given him a right bollcking. Keep your head down lad. It is not worth it putting your life on the line for these chancers in our present Government.
Unfortunately not true ... Canada is commited to a combat role in Afghanistan until the end of 2011. Many Canadians would like to have them home now .... no doubt, many in the UK would like to see their troops home as well .... the last Canadian soldier kia in Afghanistan, Jonathon Couturier, Royal 22e Regiment, decede le 17 septembre a l'age de 23 ans, had expressed doubts to his family about the possibility of military success in Afghanistan. With 131 dead already, out of a force numbering about 2500, many feel that we have done our bit .... unlike the French and the Germans.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 00:26   #3
God Member

I do't think it is "Unfortunately not true " Eric..it's yet another case of posting lies on this site.. posts that are unfounded are on here on a daily basis and some people believe them at first sight.. another example people that seem to get all their non-facts from the "Mail"... rubbish!

Last edited by Mancie; 29-09-2009 at 00:32.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 01:22   #4
God Member

I don't doubt your grandsons bravery Jim.. but to blame this government looks to me as political messing... if you think the next government will pull out of Afghanistan then you are either a dreamer or a blatant Tory propagandist.
Old 29-09-2009, 02:23   #5
God Member

And by the way, Canadians don't quit .... ask the Dutch about the determination and courage of the Canadian armed forces. Although many here are opposed to the war, I have no doubt that the Canadian Armed Forces will fulfull their commitment to maintain a combat role in Kandahar Province until the end of 2011.
Old 29-09-2009, 09:22   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
I do't think it is "Unfortunately not true " Eric..it's yet another case of posting lies on this site.. posts that are unfounded are on here on a daily basis and some people believe them at first sight.. another example people that seem to get all their non-facts from the "Mail"... rubbish!
None facts, drunken ramblings whats the difference
Old 29-09-2009, 13:37   #7

I am sorry if everyone thinks that my repeat of a piece in the Mail on Sunday is somehow treasonous.I only copy what I read.
With regard to my political affiliations I have voted Labour all my life and I have no intention of changing now.I am totally against this war, There is no way that what happens in Afghanistan should affect us in the UK. We are only there to kowtow to the Americans who have their own agenda for this war.
My Grandson and thousands like him are only there satisfy the political ambitions of Gordon Brown and his cronies.They dare not pull our boys out of Afghanistan for fear of upsetting the Americans Did Tony Blair send his sons to fight? Are their any sons or grandsons of the present Cabinet out there fighting for a lost cause.Why are Prince William and Prince Harry not allowed to join if it is such a noble enterprise.If these 2 layabouts are not allowed to die for their country why should my Grandson and his mates have the same treatment.
I am in no way demeaning the Canadians and their fine sons but there must be some grain of truth in the Mail report.As you say Eric if all the Allies put in the same effort as Canada and ourselves this war could possibly be won. But without the political will of every country involved it is a doomed enterprise BRING THEM ALL HOME SAFE AND WELL
Jim Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 14:00   #8
Resting in Peace

Think this is what Jim saw :

PETER HITCHENS: No country on Earth is more like us. They too are fighting in Afghanistan. But while we stay, Canada will soon leave...Why? | Mail Online

Thank your grandson on our behalf for his gallentry.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 14:04   #9
God Member

Well done to your grandson for his bravery Jim
Old 29-09-2009, 15:38   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Procter View Post
I am sorry if everyone thinks that my repeat of a piece in the Mail on Sunday is somehow treasonous.I only copy what I read.
With regard to my political affiliations I have voted Labour all my life and I have no intention of changing now.I am totally against this war, There is no way that what happens in Afghanistan should affect us in the UK. We are only there to kowtow to the Americans who have their own agenda for this war.
My Grandson and thousands like him are only there satisfy the political ambitions of Gordon Brown and his cronies.They dare not pull our boys out of Afghanistan for fear of upsetting the Americans Did Tony Blair send his sons to fight? Are their any sons or grandsons of the present Cabinet out there fighting for a lost cause.Why are Prince William and Prince Harry not allowed to join if it is such a noble enterprise.If these 2 layabouts are not allowed to die for their country why should my Grandson and his mates have the same treatment.
I am in no way demeaning the Canadians and their fine sons but there must be some grain of truth in the Mail report.As you say Eric if all the Allies put in the same effort as Canada and ourselves this war could possibly be won. But without the political will of every country involved it is a doomed enterprise BRING THEM ALL HOME SAFE AND WELL
Jim take no notice of Mancie, anybody who reads the Mail is a Tory an should be abused. You have a grandson to be proud of, I hope he keeps safe along with all our lads and lasses out there.
Old 29-09-2009, 18:43   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Not a bad article ... it has the common inaccuracies that we are used to over here ... at least, unlike the Times a couple of years ago, it managed to get our PM's name right. And it is quite complimentary ... that's a good pic of the Highway of Heroes; I was there a couple of times myself ... quite a moving experience. What it doesn't mention is that Afghanistan is the largest recipient of Canadian foreign aid. Or that we have already extended our commitment to 2011; we were supposed to be out of there at the end of last year. We do not have a large military establishment, and we are, in a sense, fighting above our weight. The soldiers we are losing are the backbone of our army: mainly experienced non-commisioned officers and combat engineers.

And it is true, as those of you have been here will realise, that there is no country on Earth that is more like you guys.
Old 29-09-2009, 22:49   #12
God Member

I realise this is a wander, but some of you may find it interesting. It was written by Mary-Lynn Neil, a Grade 7 student at Ecole Catholique Cathedrale in Kingston, for her father Master Corporal Mike Neil while he was serving his third tour in Kandahar:

A Daughter's Prayer:

My last thoughts are of him, as I lay me down to rest.
He's someone to be proud of, and I know he'll do his best.
Please watch his footsteps, as he walks that foreign land.
Help him do what he has to do, and guard him with your hand.

He's not just a soldier, remember, he's my dad.
Other children need him, I'll try not to be so sad.
He's not just a soldier, so keep him in your care.
Bring him home, I'm so alone; that's a daughter's prayer.

I know there are dangers, and his life he may lay down.
Take his beret, exchange it for a crown.
If his gun goes quiet, and he can't come home to me,
Help me to understand, and keep his memory.

He's not just a soldier, remember, he's my dad.
I miss you daddy, and I pray for you each night.
I just want you to hold me and tell me everything's alright.
I know they need you, but, dad, I need you too.
Please come home, I'm so alone,
That's a daughter's prayer.
Old 30-09-2009, 23:38   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Jim take no notice of Mancie, anybody who reads the Mail is a Tory an should be abused. You have a grandson to be proud of, I hope he keeps safe along with all our lads and lasses out there.
lets get things clear ... I have already said Jim has a grandson to be proud of as all the relatives of our lads in the armed forces.. what I contradict is posts that are untrue and usually sourced from the daily mail..pure lies/inacurate articles are posted on here on a daily basis (the daily mail)...most of this stuff is pure propaganda and should be challenged.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:46   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
lets get things clear ... I have already said Jim has a grandson to be proud of as all the relatives of our lads in the armed forces.. what I contradict is posts that are untrue and usually sourced from the daily mail..pure lies/inacurate articles are posted on here on a daily basis (the daily mail)...most of this stuff is pure propaganda and should be challenged.
The thing is Mancie people on the left don't like the truth, I have exactly the same contempt for the Guardian and Independent
Old 10-11-2009, 19:41   #15
God Member

It has recently come to my notice that the war in Afghanistan appears to be about the difficulty in laying an OIL pipeline across Helmund province whilst the Taliban are actively sabotaging the efforts
Trans-Afghanistan Pipeline - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
....so anyone under the impression that this war is to promote democracy needs to rethink that.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..