Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2004, 13:38   #1

Care of the elderly.

We hear so much about lack of provision for the elderly when they can no longer manage in their own home. What are your opinions on provision in Lancashire and would you be happy for one of your parents to live in a care home?
Nessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-01-2004, 12:25   #2
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Care of elderly people in England, as a whole is universally bad. Good care homes run by Social Services continue to be closed down due to inadequate funding, and private care or residential homes are expensive and the care is not necessarily good. I have worked in many nursing homes during my time as an Agency nurse in the early 90's some of them were brilliant, but many were definately not up to scratch. I think that elderly people should not have to sell their homes or delve into their life savings to pay for their own care, especially when they have worked all their lives into their late 60's as my Grandma did. Luckily she was in a good care home, I made damn sure of that. Nursing homes are inspected by local health authorities, it used to be on an annual basis, not sure if that has changed. The trouble was that they were always informed when the inspection would take place. We all know that to see a true picture of how a place functions, inspections should be done on spec.
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 13:40   #3
Junior Member+

Turf out the so called asylum seekers and we would easily have enough premises & resources to house & pay for all those elderly who need half-way or fully institutional care.
Shef.Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 16:22   #4
Senior Member+

In my opinion if we had TEALEAF for prime minister this country would be Great Britian once again.
Old 05-01-2004, 16:45   #5
God Member

Cheers Janet,

Finally back! mind you, the problems I've had in accessing this site will probably mean I'm in a care home very shortly...
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 14:20   #6
Senior Member+

Too true we should be looking after the ones that once made Britain great and not the free loaders that they are giving out to at the moment

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..