Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2015, 01:18   #16

Re: Careful where you fill up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Interesting. Were Supermarket tankers and Shell, Esso etc filling up with the same fuel?
It's very easy to convince ourselves we're better using one fuel rather than another. My usage has changed, it could be down to that but they all match in price so I might as well stay with the named brands.
I can't say any of them seem to give you better MPG.
My point is not one being better but one being worse.
Stevie R is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-09-2015, 06:47   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
which invalidates manufacturer warranty if your car is still covered and can invalidate your car insurance if you dont tell the insurance company who then increase your premium if you do tell them negating any savings made.
Two fair points Accyman, hadn`t thought about warranty, not been in a position to need to for a while. Depending on the amount of miles you do the mpg savings may make it worth the increased insurance premium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
iv never noticed the difference between asda , BP or shell fuel etc .Recent studies also showed that the so called premium fuels dont do any better than bog standard fuel either for your engine or performance...
I have an old banger i`ve been doing up over the past few months, and it has had some performance issues (low compression on one cylinder) and it used to struggle when going up hill, the slight incline on the motorway from Accy to guide I would have to drop down to 4th to manage 60, I tried BP ultimate unleaded and the performance increase was very noticeable, managed the same stretch of motorway at 70mph in 5th gear.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:44   #18
Senior Member+

I bought my Corsa second hand, it is an ex BT car and have often suspected it had been remapped for best economy, resulting in lower power, it`s only a 1.3 diesel but does struggle sometimes especially pulling away when aircon is on. Just had a quick google and found this -
BT Fleet’s engine remapping service has a proven track record, after having been successfully deployed on 24,000 Openreach vehicles to deliver an average fuel saving of 15% and a 25% reduction in CO2 emissions.
BT Fleet launches engine remapping service

I wonder whether my insurance would be invalid with it being done before I bought it.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:46   #19
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
I have an old banger i`ve been doing up over the past few months, and it has had some performance issues (low compression on one cylinder) and it used to struggle when going up hill, the slight incline on the motorway from Accy to guide I would have to drop down to 4th to manage 60, I tried BP ultimate unleaded and the performance increase was very noticeable, managed the same stretch of motorway at 70mph in 5th gear.
What car is it and how old is it? If it's a pre unleaded vehicle a lot of them lost power and needed timing adjusting to cope with the lower octane rating on unleaded petrol. These so called super petrols have a higher octane rating so it might just be running how it was supposed to.
Old 11-09-2015, 13:06   #20
Senior Member+

It's a 25 year old sportrak and unleaded ready, the problem was valve clearance set wrong on one cylinder leaving a valve open causing the low compression, all sorted, now on to the next problem - blowing exhaust.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..