Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2015, 21:09   #1

Careful where you fill up.

I usually put about 6 gallons of diesel a week in my car from Tesco Express Accrington and I get a minimum of 55 miles to each gallon.
Last week I used a different Accrington garage and my MPG for the week
was at best 48,too noticeable for me to buy fuel there again.
Does anyone know if diesel can vary like this?
Stevie R is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-09-2015, 21:35   #2
Senior Member+

Careful where you fill up.

Not just diesel but petrol also and not just mpg but more power with some.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 21:38   #3
I am Banned

Re: Careful where you fill up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie R View Post
I usually put about 6 gallons of diesel a week in my car from Tesco Express Accrington and I get a minimum of 55 miles to each gallon.
Diesel is diesel, more likely the pump didn't give you correct measure. When was that pump last checked by weights and measure.

cashman likes this.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 22:20   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Diesel is diesel, more likely the pump didn't give you correct measure. When was that pump last checked by weights and measure.

How can diesel be diesel when they make different grades?
Old 07-09-2015, 22:42   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie R View Post
Was the driving for the two weeks similar - distance on individual journeys, short or long journey can make considerable difference, long journey with clear run or long journey with lots of stops and starts, lots of short shopping journeys. Lots of factors can affect the consumption on both diesel and petrol.
maxthecollie likes this.
Old 07-09-2015, 22:47   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Was the driving for the two weeks similar - distance on individual journeys, short or long journey can make considerable difference, long journey with clear run or long journey with lots of stops and starts, lots of short shopping journeys. Lots of factors can affect the consumption on both diesel and petrol.
Usual run to work Barrie,always 61 plus towards Manchester,coming home
tend to push and averages late 50`s
Stevie R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 22:52   #9
Senior Member+

I have a diesel 4WD with a DPF .Useing supermarket fuel it was constantly switching on, gobbling fuel.
I switched to BP and Esso, similar price, it hardly ever comes on now.
There is a difference between supermarket fuel and the major companies product.Additives? Cleaner?
Stevie R likes this.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:49   #10

SO where is this other garage?
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 14:41   #11
Senior Member+

I used to be in and out of Shell Stanlow with a tanker every week up to a few years ago.
Maybe things have changed now but there could have been three or four different branded tankers filling at the same loading bay.
All tankers are bottom loaded with the gas left in the empty tank being returned to the stock tank via a vent line. The opposite way around at the delivery point.
The driver never sees the product so who puts the additive is a mystery to me.
I have a 2.2 Petrol 4X4 Auto and over it's 13,000 miles since new its averaged 24.7MPG.
If there is a magic additive to increase MPG I would love a bucket full.
Old 09-09-2015, 15:09   #12
Senior Member+

There are fuel additives out there, I haven`t tried this so don`t know how effective it is - Envirox? Fuel Saving Additive ? Energenics Europe Ltd ? Envirox ? The Fuel Saving Additive on the few occasions I`ve checked the fuel economy on my Corsa (no trip computer so have to do it the old fashioned way) I get around 65mpg.
You can also get your ECU remapped which is also supposed to give more power and better economy.
Stevie R likes this.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 15:29   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
Maybe things have changed now but there could have been three or four different branded tankers filling at the same loading bay.
Interesting. Were Supermarket tankers and Shell, Esso etc filling up with the same fuel?
It's very easy to convince ourselves we're better using one fuel rather than another. My usage has changed, it could be down to that but they all match in price so I might as well stay with the named brands.
I can't say any of them seem to give you better MPG.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 16:23   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
You can also get your ECU remapped which is also supposed to give more power and better economy.
which invalidates manufacturer warranty if your car is still covered and can invalidate your car insurance if you dont tell the insurance company who then increase your premium if you do tell them negating any savings made.

if you have a serious enough accident your ECU will be checked because insurance companies like to get out of paying money out
Gremlin and Stevie R like this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 22:46   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Interesting. Were Supermarket tankers and Shell, Esso etc filling up with the same fuel?
It's very easy to convince ourselves we're better using one fuel rather than another. My usage has changed, it could be down to that but they all match in price so I might as well stay with the named brands.
I can't say any of them seem to give you better MPG.
iv never noticed the difference between asda , BP or shell fuel etc .Recent studies also showed that the so called premium fuels dont do any better than bog standard fuel either for your engine or performance but if you want to feel special using more expensive fuel and think somehow your car is saying thankyou because you love it and of course it loves you back then knock yer socks off..

ill put my poor fuel MPG down to the heavy foot i apply every now and then and not blame cheap fuel lol.oh and the air con im addicted to air con

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..