Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-06-2013, 15:53   #46
Beacon of light

Re: Carnival - past its sell by date?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
When he divulges the secret can you let the rest of us know?

So we can join?
I have decided I don't want to join anyway.......I'd rather be a monkey than a sheep.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-06-2013, 16:02   #47
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I have decided I don't want to join anyway.......I'd rather be a monkey than a sheep.
I can recommend the role of 'innocent bystander'

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 17:30   #48
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Your opinion, reading too much into the in's and out's of AccyWeb as usual!
I bet Guinness is pleased, promotion at last, welcome to the clique!
Its getting a bit crowded in here now Less
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 17:33   #49
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I can recommend the role of 'innocent bystander'
Innocent and bystander is somewhat an oxymoron in your case Margaret
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 18:27   #50
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Innocent and bystander is somewhat an oxymoron in your case Margaret
Who is this moron on oxygen?
cashman, shillelagh and susie123 like this.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 18:28   #51
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Who is the moron on oxygen?
Class Mags, Class.
shillelagh likes this.
Old 18-06-2013, 18:46   #52
God Member

i dont care what you lot have to say but will someone please put some bloody pics up of the carnival please, not impressed with the ones in the Telegraph
Old 18-06-2013, 21:33   #53
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffberryb77 View Post
Lol! Well, didn't mean you specifically - I assumed you were playing devils advocate...

The only question I would ask is having seen the procession, did you miss the fire engine at the back?!

We are also looking for fresh ideas for 2015 - we already have a few!
Just a thought, are the schools actually involved? If not would be good to get em contributing in some way fer 2015, way i see it, the more kids are involved the better.
PandoraSkies likes this.
Old 18-06-2013, 21:38   #54
Junior Member+

First of all, the important stuff - flashy (and anyone else interested) loads of pictures submitted by attendees can be found on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/accringtoncarnival

Second, the less important stuff.

Quote:
nothing insulting
"it looked pretty pitiful" is an insult - this is presented as fact, rather than opinion.

Quote:
he is a regular poster not someone sitting anonymously behind his computer, the result of the thread is I think positive, most people seemed to enjoy it.

Not only is he free to criticise onsite, I again think you are being oversensitive, without feedback you wouldn't know what he or anyone else thought of the efforts put in
Everybody is free to criticise, but it should be backed up with reasoning. All I have seen on here is "it was pitiful", "it was rag-tag" and "wasn't it better in my day". I can tell you exactly what will destroy the carnival (and ultimately the town itself). It isn't health and safety gone mad, and it isn't even poundshops. It's attitude, pure and simple. Try taking of the cynical glasses and be constructive rather than destructive. We have had lots and lots of feedback (good and bad), but as long as its constructive (which nothing either you or guinness have said is) then that is fine. Stop telling us we should be better and start telling us how we can be better.

Quote:
Isn't that a criticism? if it's going to be bigger and better then obviously you weren't satisfied with it as it was? Had it been perfect you may have said 'make 2015 just as good'.

I hope after the event in 2015 you come back on and thank him for giving you the determination to improve.
I think you are very confused if you think I am "obviously" not satisfied. Again the words used present the information as fact, rather than opinion.

I remember carnivals of old being big affairs. I also know it took 19 people two years to arrange the 1993 carnival, whereas five of us organised this one in six months. Also, the level of coverage and local support was much more widespread in those days.

What I (and the rest of the organisers) are trying to do is turn the carnival around, back to the 'good old days' - as highlighted by AccyDave.

If you think I am being over-sensitive, fine - I would rather be seen as someone who cares and will fight with passion for the town, than as someone who picks holes in others actually trying to make a difference, and instead sits and moans about 'world war 3', 'ian brady', and 'abu qatada', to name but three cheerful topics on this site.

I am very happy with how the carnival went, and particularly pleased with the spirit of those involved - all of whom have already asked how to get involved next time.

Thankfully, this is the only negativity I have encountered. It is not constructive at all, simply faceless people moaning despite having put little into the event. I have had messages of support through this site, twitter and facebook, and I certainly shall not thank one person on a forum for 'giving me the determination to improve'.

Believe it or not, I fuel my own determination - you think very highly of yourselves if you reckon two anonymous individuals from a web forum are my sole motivation!

In any case, the next carnival is in 2015 and you will be welcomed - especially if you would like to submit a procession entry and turn words into action?
hedman2003 likes this.
ffberryb77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 22:47   #55
God Member

sadly things like carnivals and people celibrating as a commuinity are things that over the past 20 years we have been bullied into been ashamed of.Anything resembling tradition and been a british way of life has been belittled to the point where some think these traditions and ways are a waste of time.

our population has become diluted and those that come here have no interest in keeping tradition alive and theres 3 maybe four generations of a certain culture that prove that as they still live by choice in exclusion.

did this carnival and the past few look to me as grand as the ones when i was a little boy ?

well the answer to that is no they dont but that could be to do with the fact that now i see them with a a tainted view on the world where as when i was a little boy i was looking up in awe and wonder at the floats and not concerned with things like cost and how long the roads were goingto be diverted because i want to drive through town.

get the akash to do a float and ill be behind it all teh way with a knife and fork

im just glad some folk are still trying

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 18-06-2013 at 22:50.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 06:38   #56
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
First of all, the important stuff - flashy (and anyone else interested) loads of pictures submitted by attendees can be found on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/accringtoncarnival

Second, the less important stuff.

"it looked pretty pitiful" is an insult - this is presented as fact, rather than opinion.

Everybody is free to criticise, but it should be backed up with reasoning. All I have seen on here is "it was pitiful", "it was rag-tag" and "wasn't it better in my day". I can tell you exactly what will destroy the carnival (and ultimately the town itself). It isn't health and safety gone mad, and it isn't even poundshops. It's attitude, pure and simple. Try taking of the cynical glasses and be constructive rather than destructive. We have had lots and lots of feedback (good and bad), but as long as its constructive (which nothing either you or guinness have said is) then that is fine. Stop telling us we should be better and start telling us how we can be better.

I think you are very confused if you think I am "obviously" not satisfied. Again the words used present the information as fact, rather than opinion.

I remember carnivals of old being big affairs. I also know it took 19 people two years to arrange the 1993 carnival, whereas five of us organised this one in six months. Also, the level of coverage and local support was much more widespread in those days.

What I (and the rest of the organisers) are trying to do is turn the carnival around, back to the 'good old days' - as highlighted by AccyDave.

If you think I am being over-sensitive, fine - I would rather be seen as someone who cares and will fight with passion for the town, than as someone who picks holes in others actually trying to make a difference, and instead sits and moans about 'world war 3', 'ian brady', and 'abu qatada', to name but three cheerful topics on this site.

I am very happy with how the carnival went, and particularly pleased with the spirit of those involved - all of whom have already asked how to get involved next time.

Thankfully, this is the only negativity I have encountered. It is not constructive at all, simply faceless people moaning despite having put little into the event. I have had messages of support through this site, twitter and facebook, and I certainly shall not thank one person on a forum for 'giving me the determination to improve'.

Believe it or not, I fuel my own determination - you think very highly of yourselves if you reckon two anonymous individuals from a web forum are my sole motivation!

In any case, the next carnival is in 2015 and you will be welcomed - especially if you would like to submit a procession entry and turn words into action?
Well Mr Berry, I put forward a suggestion, which yeh chose to ignore, instead yeh chose to disagree wi opposing views and Blow Yer Own Trumpet, also apart from self appreciating, Yeh choose to knock a site, YOU have contributed nothing too, apart from self praise. Yeh may have done a good service wi the carnival, But yer up yer own backside as far as i'm concerned.
Old 19-06-2013, 06:43   #57
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Just a thought, are the schools actually involved? If not would be good to get em contributing in some way fer 2015, way i see it, the more kids are involved the better.
All Saint's School in clayton had a float...and believe me, the children were very excited to be involved in it.

I agree that getting the children involved in whatever way, can only be a good thing.
If they have a sense of community, then it will grow with them as they get older, and they will encourage their own children to get involved when they remember what fun they had with the venture.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 07:01   #58
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
All Saint's School in clayton had a float...and believe me, the children were very excited to be involved in it.

I agree that getting the children involved in whatever way, can only be a good thing.
If they have a sense of community, then it will grow with them as they get older, and they will encourage their own children to get involved when they remember what fun they had with the venture.
That was the thought that was going around in my head.But this geezer chose not to respond, instead did what hes accusing others of.
Old 19-06-2013, 07:29   #59
I am Banned

Quote:

Dave in Germany posted this on another thread a few months ago as an aside to the Forum’s attack dogs rounding on a newbie. You may not have seen it ffberryb?[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#444444][FONT=Verdana]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
And there my friend, is your downfall. As you progress (should you The choice is yours young pilgrim, tread these walkways with caution, walk & talk quietly, notice much but say little at first until you achieve understanding & enlightenment or you have the taste of change on the wind. Oh, and always have a big stick handy to beat back the Bogeyman (or Woman) who lurk in darkened nooks & crannies. [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME~1/admin/LOCALS~1/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]

As Yoda says “ Do or do not there is no try”

Anybody who brings a bit of sunshine into people’s lives is to be applauded in my mind, anybody who brings a ray of sunshine into people’s lives voluntarily is to be applauded x 3.

There are plenty of people in real life and on here too quick to get out their matt grey pot of paint and try to stop the sunshining in.
Somebody on here even made an oblique attack on Dorothy McGregor for pities sake.

Yoda say’s it all for me, well done to all those who were actively involved in the Carnival, don’t let the clickers (sic) on here rain on your parade.

**DinG I owe you a pint for plagerising your post**

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yoda_come-at-me-bro.jpg (131.5 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by DtheP47; 19-06-2013 at 07:31.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 07:29   #60
Junior Member+

I see you are trying to get a response out of me. This is normally where things get personal which is a shame. I can't help but feel you have an axe to grind, maybe with me personally.

I apologise for having a different, more optimistic view than you, and for defending people who have put a hell of a lot of effort in.

I will not be dragged down to the level you wish to discuss, as it appears you have a lot of experience.

And for that reason, I'm out.
ffberryb77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..