Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-06-2013, 06:35   #76
Resting in Peace

Re: Carnival - past its sell by date?

I Must admit I did not see any info on the change of route
they used to come down Eagle st and down Blackburn road
we where in the Railway and I had my camera with me but nothing to take photos of
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-06-2013, 07:21   #77
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
I can recall them coming in front of The Market Hall Cashy as I remember standing there watching it & also standing on the corner where The Commercial (Weather spoons) is. I think they did come down Burnley Road & through the centre & then turn past the Town Hall.

Best Regards - Taggy
The possession used to start on the street which runs parallel with Blackburn Road, where Tommy Blanks tyres was or still is
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 07:29   #78
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
The possession used to start on the street which runs parallel with Blackburn Road, where Tommy Blanks tyres was or still is
Was/ is that Dale street jaysay ?
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 08:10   #79
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Was/ is that Dale street jaysay ?
That's it Mick can remember back in the 70s my mate put a float in on his flat wagon, it was for the institute of Advanced Motorists, there was a very badly mangled wrecked car on the back with all kinds of warning signs. We assembled in Dale Street. cheers
Old 20-06-2013, 08:32   #80
Senior Member+

Quote:
Yes that's ringing a bell now Jaysay. I'm trying to think where it ended, did it go up Manchester Road to the Park or am I getting confused?

Best regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 08:43   #81
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Yes that's ringing a bell now Jaysay. I'm trying to think where it ended, did it go up Manchester Road to the Park or am I getting confused?

Best regards - Taggy
Think it did, but I'm getting things mixed up going to Sandy Lane too, but in the 70s nearly sure it was the Park
Old 20-06-2013, 09:01   #82
Senior Member+

Quote:
Think it did, but I'm getting things mixed up going to Sandy Lane too, but in the 70s nearly sure it was the Park
Yep I'm almost sure I can recall ending up there when I was a nipper!

Best regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 10:21   #83
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
I Must admit I did not see any info on the change of route
they used to come down Eagle st and down Blackburn road
we where in the Railway and I had my camera with me but nothing to take photos of
It wasn't a change of route from the last one

There's a bit about the history of it here

The World Famous Accrington Lions Community Carnival - A History
cashman likes this.
Old 20-06-2013, 10:28   #84
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Carnival - past its sell by date?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
It wasn't a change of route from the last one

There's a bit about the history of it here

The World Famous Accrington Lions Community Carnival - A History
Very interesting thank's for the link.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 13:10   #85
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Carnival - past its sell by date?

Anyone noticed, how calm the thread has become?
Nobody claiming to be insulted, just AccyWeb doing it's thing and discussing How it was, at the same time not criticising the latest event?
Of course a great deal of effort went into keeping it alive, I don't think the thread starter meant to upset the organiser, was just putting forward his views compared with days gone by.
Of course it could, though shouldn't be considered an insult to the present day organisers, however, it wasn't I'm sure meant in that way.
He has his memories of grand parades, my grandchildren know nothing about that, but they enjoyed it, it was positive effort, now lets hope the organisers aren't put off, calm down and give us even more in 2015!
That is what community is about.
You never know, even AccyWeb might be stirred into putting a float in.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 17:28   #86
Resting in Peace

Very interesting link Dave
Old 20-06-2013, 17:33   #87
God Member

iv always known teh people of accrington paid and built the hospital but i didnt nkow they also provided housing for nurses

people my age say how there was a better community spirit when we were kids just imagine how good it was back then

sadly history does seem to show we become less and less a community as time goes on
Less, cashman and jaysay like this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 18:06   #88
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
iv always known the people of accrington paid and built the hospital but i didn't know they also provided housing for nurses

people my age say how there was a better community spirit when we were kids just imagine how good it was back then

sadly history does seem to show we become less and less a community as time goes on
In the good old days accyman very few people had cars, there were no computers and mobile phones were a pipe dream, you took your holidays the last two weeks in July usually a week in Blackpool, no fortnight in Spain back then, and everybody knew their neighbours, uncle alan next door and auntie florry across the street, there was a community spirit back then, nowhere to be seen today, no local pubs to speak of very few clubs think there's only one in Ossy now and that's the Ossy Social Club (Con) Ya things have changed and I'm afraid its not for the better
Old 23-06-2013, 08:36   #89
Resting in Peace

Unfortunately, missed this years, however, my brother made a video which I was able to watch on DVD. Thought it was very good, actually.

I think there is a problem with acquiring a wagon due to high Liability Insurance, in case someone 'falls of the back of a lorry'.

Used to love the Peter Pan Club floats. Hundreds of paper flowers.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 08:44   #90
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Unfortunately, missed this years, however, my brother made a video which I was able to watch on DVD. Thought it was very good, actually.

I think there is a problem with acquiring a wagon due to high Liability Insurance, in case someone 'falls of the back of a lorry'.
Another casualty of elf and safety Kate

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..