Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-02-2011, 22:20   #1

Cemetery Pub

Drove past today at lunch and noticed the lights are off and a to let board is on the wall, looks like another good pubs as gone to the wall or did it move accross the road ??
duggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-02-2011, 22:23   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Cemetery Pub

Its been like that for a while and when it is open there is only a handful of people in by the t'other half's account when he nipped in for a change.
Not many drinks on the pump either...........
I never think about the last.
heth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 09:31   #3

it hasnt really been operating to full potential since the last landlady left i have heard there is a manager in there from quite away away and he doesnt realy lnow the people of the area it used to be a thriving pub as did a lot of others but since the greedy breweries seem to think people will work for nothing then the pubs will still be empty and being boarded up like a a metal cage not good for the area
Whittaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 09:35   #4
Common Sense Member

Well said, Nick. It's my biggest beef with village life that the last remaining unrestricted vice is being throttled by the very people who supply it. My sympathy with breweries and management companies expired many years ago and the only future for the British pubs now lies with free houses and Wetherspoons, both of which are usually splendid.

Marstons are the latest on my hit list after killing The Mill Tavern in Higher Walton stone dead in three months.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 09:48   #5

ive said this all along the pubs in accrington recently boarded up from the oddfellows to boars head and most recently the regency are boarded up and the brewery say "its the sign of the times nothing they can do" its their fault they are boarded up they get a good landlord then give him a good deal to go in take all their hard earned cash off them in bonds , fixture and fittings and extortionately priced beer then after a short period of the landlord looking like he may make a profit (heaven forbid) the brewery (greedy peopel they are) put their rent up it the breweries fault these pubs are shutting and no one elses in my view
Whittaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 10:13   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Well said, Nick. It's my biggest beef with village life that the last remaining unrestricted vice is being throttled by the very people who supply it. My sympathy with breweries and management companies expired many years ago and the only future for the British pubs now lies with free houses and Wetherspoons, both of which are usually splendid.

Marstons are the latest on my hit list after killing The Mill Tavern in Higher Walton stone dead in three months.
My other half used to Work for Burtonwood Brewery, just before she retired they were taken over by Marstons, or Wolverhampton and Dudley brewery before they too were swallowed up by Marstons, the last time I was round Joan's neck of the woods the old Burtonwood houses were either shut or under a different banner, can't understand their mentality really if all the pubs shut where will they sell their ale
Old 17-02-2011, 15:36   #7
God Member

since the smoking ban came into effect the rate at which pubs close has increased greatly infact if the smoking ban in pubs was such a great idea why do the non smokers stand outside with the smokers.Greedy breweries dont help either but its not just their fault its governments too .Also breweries argue that cheap supermarket beer is to blame but the governemnt in its wisdom instead of going easy on landlords and reducing tax on their beer increase supermarket taxes to make supermarket prices higher with the excuse it makes the pubs more able to compete.Absolute rubbish its just an excuse to tax us elsewhere on beer if the governement had any intention of helping pubs they would have reduced the tax on pubs and left supermarket beer alone but that would mean less revenue for them where as increasing supermarket tax on booze gets them more money and a false appearance that they are helping the pub industry.

both labour and conservitive are guilty of this.Labour started teh ball rolling and cameron has kept it going and gaining momentum

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 17-02-2011 at 15:38.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 18:00   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
both labour and conservitive are guilty of this.Labour started teh ball rolling and cameron has kept it going and gaining momentum
:r ofl38:
Old 17-02-2011, 18:06   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
:r ofl38:
shouldnt laugh at somone whos about to be providing your meals on wheels lol

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 18:13   #10

probably make a good funeral parlour, now there's an idea !
duggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 18:16   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
shouldnt laugh at somone whos about to be providing your meals on wheels lol
Oh your getting a job at ASDA then
Old 17-02-2011, 23:06   #12
Senior Member+

Whittakers is ideally placed ( and I mean that with no malice) to make a shed load of money, it's the first stop off for everyone leaving the crematorium, I should know, been in there far too many times in the last 4 years. I have had meals in there some time back , the dining area is great and my brother in laws band, Gridlock, used to fill the place to capacity. If it's shut now it's down to bad management, a pub opposite a cemetary is never short of customers.
Old 17-02-2011, 23:14   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

seemed to drop off a lot at night linds, have a mate whose local it was, think the smoking ban was only part to blame, it certainly never helped anyone.
Old 17-02-2011, 23:36   #14
Senior Member+

Cashy, I agree that the smoking ban hasn't helped, I'm a non smoker myself and prefer not going home smelling like a 3 month old ashtray, but you have to play to the positives and that pub had location on it's side big time. Some funerals start at 11, open then for the people who want a drink to cope with it all or a warming cuppa for the ones who have travelled, the only real competition for the funeral market is the Peel Park, (lovely pub and great buffets)but can't cater for bigger funerals, as is not big enough. Contact with the funeral directors and recommendations, not rocket science. They have a good kitchen up there, facility to do a carvery and still not making any money?
I look at my local and look at what it's doing right, Sue at the Peel Park has funerals and christenings,birthdays etc,word of mouth counts for a lot but if somewhere delivers and (in this case) targets the right market I really don't know how they'd fail.
Old 18-02-2011, 07:53   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
Cashy, I agree that the smoking ban hasn't helped, I'm a non smoker myself and prefer not going home smelling like a 3 month old ashtray, but you have to play to the positives and that pub had location on it's side big time. Some funerals start at 11, open then for the people who want a drink to cope with it all or a warming cuppa for the ones who have travelled, the only real competition for the funeral market is the Peel Park, (lovely pub and great buffets)but can't cater for bigger funerals, as is not big enough. Contact with the funeral directors and recommendations, not rocket science. They have a good kitchen up there, facility to do a carvery and still not making any money?
I look at my local and look at what it's doing right, Sue at the Peel Park has funerals and christenings,birthdays etc,word of mouth counts for a lot but if somewhere delivers and (in this case) targets the right market I really don't know how they'd fail.
know what yer saying linds, it dont always work like that, the last 6 funerals i went too last year only 1 used the whittakers, 2 Peel Park, 1 Grants,1 Bold street, 1 Sydney St, agree the location is ideal, but seems many prefer other venues, fer whatever reasons, some cos the venue the deceased was well known in?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..