Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2008, 18:15   #1
God Member

Central Heating Grants (warmfront)

Looks like millions have been and are still being duped in this country, the eaga partnership, which was formed to issue the government grants funding to refurbish heating systems and insulation etc, was originally a non profit organisation, well warmfront (who do more than 40% of the installations), is owned by eaga, and have just published a pre tax profit of £87 million for 2007, they are also listed in the ftse 250, How does a non profit organisation (which is now incidentally employee owned) make 87m profits? This is an increase on the previous year of 60% by the way, presumably because warmfront do 30,000 of the allotted installations per year, the second largest installer, this is work which should be shared between approved contractors, but obviously is not, because warmfront do the lions share. here is a link which gives different figures than the written account that I have read in the corgi installer magazine, where the writer states that he is petitioning number 10 to have the grants issued direct to the public, for them to CHOOSE thier own installer.
http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/business...1140-20410278/
Accrington Web
Old 01-06-2008, 18:27   #2
God Member

Re: Central Heating Grants (warmfront)

We qualified for the grant last year due to Ian being entitled to DLA. When the job was done we were quite happy with the outcome, the lad who did the job was efficent and he cleaned up after himself. Since then two of the radaitors have come off the wall and lucily for me my brother-in-law is a plumber who could rectify the problem. I dread to think how much I would have had to pay a plumber to come out to the job. So yes I agree that customers should be able to choose which company gets the job of installation.
Old 01-06-2008, 20:12   #3

It would seem more fair if local contractors could get some of the business. So long as the work was done to the required standard and the relevant guarantees give I see no problem in people choosing who does their grant work.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:17   #4
Resting in Peace

The problms with warmfront have been highlighted a few times on Watchdog
Old 02-06-2008, 10:58   #5
God Member

Thanks for that jaysay, hadnt seen that, I have to say though, we have been called to many of the installations and they are not usually up to scratch, one poor old lady of 93 had to have the whole boiler istallation re-fitted, but because none of it was 'life threatening' corgi couldnt do anything about it.
Old 15-11-2008, 18:40   #6
God Member

This has reared up again now, the government are supposed to make the 'tenders' for work more accessible to small and medium sized businesses, to create a level playing field they say, but, if you apply to tender, they require a ridiculous amount of information, and, a letter from the business bankers saying they have a £25,000 bond! We have plenty of insurance, all the relevent certification (and more), so why the requirement for a bond?? If thats a level playing field, Im a dutchman! I have also noticed a couple of iffy names recently which link to eaga, and reckon there are still pockets being lined here at the expense of the public, the taxpayer and decent companies.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:32   #7
God Member

I have just found out that, the prime minister, after receiving a 48 page petition regarding the fairness of the distribution of the government grants, has agreed to scrap the very corrupt warmfront scheme. The petiton is aimed at allowing recipients of the heating grants to choose their installer, rather than have warmfront, Iguana or Heat forced on them.

Last edited by derekgas; 04-08-2009 at 07:35.
derekgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:04   #8

Have you got any links to that info Derek?

I got my boiler replaced with a grant but it was with A1 instead of Warmfront & i'm more than happy.
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:14   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
I have just found out that, the prime minister, after receiving a 48 page petition regarding the fairness of the distribution of the government grants, has agreed to scrap the very corrupt warmfront scheme. The petiton is aimed at allowing recipients of the heating grants to choose their installer, rather than have warmfront, Iguana or Heat forced on them.
That's a bit of common sense for a change derek
Old 04-08-2009, 10:17   #10
God Member

Another corrupt practice bites the dust
....it seems like good news is happening thick and fast

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:40   #11

couldnt i just get my brother/father/friend who is a corgi registered plumber to it, take the grant money a skim off the extra for me and brother/father/friend ?
Old 07-08-2009, 05:50   #12
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossywarrior View Post
couldnt i just get my brother/father/friend who is a corgi registered plumber to it, take the grant money a skim off the extra for me and brother/father/friend ?
That is probably why they did not allow it in the first place.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..