Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-07-2012, 10:19   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Changes To Housing Benefits

From April 2013 Housing Benefits change, a person living on their own in a two bedroomed house will have the amount paid reduced by 14% if you have a three bedroom house by 25%.

It seems to me to be a little bit harsh and perhaps not all that well thoughtout.

Personally this will mean that if I choose to stay in this property I will lose approx £10 per week towards my rent, O.K. if a person is prepared to move into a one bedroomed property they will assist in finding a property, will there be enough single bedroomed places to go around? I doubt it.

I moved into this place back in 2007 when my house was bought for demolision, at the time I asked about a one bedroomed dwelling and was told the Council preferred to keep such properties for the disabled, I was offered the choice of three, two bedroomed houses, therefore it's hardly my fault that I have a spare bedroom. Why should I now be penalised for a move that wasn't even my choice?

Whenever I have a letter reviewing my benefits it is emphasised that I am on the MINIMUM amount allowed by law to survive, So where exactly am I supposed to find this extra £10?

I wonder how many people this new idea is going to affect and how much worry and hardship it will create?

If by magic, I can suddenly be offered a one bedroomed replacement for this house, why wasn't it offered 5 years ago when I asked for it?

I wonder, will there be some sort of appeal system in place? After all there was no objection to the my occupying a house with two bedrooms before so why should there be one now?
westendlass likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-07-2012, 10:42   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Changes To Housing Benefits

I would be going in n asking em these questions, n wanting the answers. then if not satisfactory,yeh got summat to go elsewhere. They always said "God loves a trier."
Old 16-07-2012, 10:45   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I would be going in n asking em these questions, n wanting the answers. then if not satisfactory,yeh got summat to go elsewhere. They always said "God loves a trier."
You know I'll be finding out, I've a form to fill in from the housing association about it, a letter will be going in with it asking these and any other questions that may arise from this thread.
Old 16-07-2012, 10:53   #4

Perhaps I can do like they did with the Window tax and brick that spare bedroom off so that I can't use it, then it won't count as a room?

Old 16-07-2012, 11:05   #5
God Member

I don't qualify for housing benefit but if I was in your position I would apply to join

BwithUs PennineLancashire - Home

and start applying for one bedroomed homes ASAP.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 11:51   #6
God Member

There is a place in Blackburn where you can get help and advice on housing issues. A lady I know went for some advice and they were very helpful. If push comes to shove might be worth getting an appointment there. It is called Shelter and is based on Preston New Road
Old 16-07-2012, 12:05   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Perhaps I can do like they did with the Window tax and brick that spare bedroom off so that I can't use it, then it won't count as a room?

How about knocking through and going open plan!

Would that count if it left just one bedroom?

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 12:09   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post

Rather a ridiculous suggestion.
Tenants have no right to make such changes.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 12:13   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Rather a ridiculous suggestion.
Tenants have no right to make such changes.
It was made in jest -the opposite of bricking up if you see what I mean.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 12:14   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post

Well, it was a larger bedroom split in two to make a bathroom so if the partician wall was removed...
Old 16-07-2012, 15:10   #11
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I don't qualify for housing benefit but if I was in your position I would apply to join

BwithUs PennineLancashire - Home

and start applying for one bedroomed homes ASAP.
Good luck with that one. My cousin has been on their books for several years, she is over 80 and has medical issues and still has not got a place. I do the search for her every week.The number of 1 beds that come up in Hyndburn is tiny and you are up against applicants from other areas as well. Or maybe you don't mind moving out of the area? There may be properties in other places.

Godd luck and I hope you manage to stay put.
Old 16-07-2012, 15:57   #12
God Member

they wont even make allowances for men who have their children over the weekend.God help a man with a daughter and a son because by law after a certain age they must have a seperate room so he will need 3 bedrooms.

also same above for women who dont have custordy of their kids.

its ideas like this that show the way teh torys think but surely a labour council dosnt have to enforce this does it or is it just a case of torys providing an excuse to save some money.Who in the council if at all sets out what is allowed to be paid and under what circumstances ?

seems a bit rich that a family that comes here and has paid sod all can get a £500 pw house but how dare a UK citizen have a 2 bedroom house because they dont make 1 bedroom houses

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 16-07-2012 at 16:03.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 19:02   #13

i beleive if you are a pensioner,this rule does not apply,if you already in a larger property,worth checking.
pallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 19:10   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
they wont even make allowances for men who have their children over the weekend.God help a man with a daughter and a son because by law after a certain age they must have a seperate room so he will need 3 bedrooms.

also same above for women who dont have custordy of their kids.

No they won't because those children aren't living there on a permanent basis.

Quote:

its ideas like this that show the way teh torys think but surely a labour council dosnt have to enforce this does it or is it just a case of torys providing an excuse to save some money.Who in the council if at all sets out what is allowed to be paid and under what circumstances ?
Yes of course it's an ill thought out 'Tory' idea, but a Labour or any other Council will have to apply the law/s made in Our wonderful Parliament.

Quote:

seems a bit rich that a family that comes here and has paid sod all can get a £500 pw house but how dare a UK citizen have a 2 bedroom house because they dont make 1 bedroom houses
Do you not see the trick?

Those of us affected are poor, we have to be poor to get the benefit, to blame everything on the Western Oriental Gentleman or any of his ilk is falling in line with what they want, division.

Division=Confusion.

Confusion=losing the arguement because we, (the poor), argue amongst ourselves instead of against the real cause.

I'm not going to get a bonus at the end of this year because I've failed to get a job, but my equivelent in Government/Banking will get a bonus for putting thousands more on the dole...

I honestly think (and hope), this will be another Coalition 'U' turn, Maybe they are chasing all the people living under one roof but not declaring it?

I could probably think of a cheaper way but, what the hey let's not worry, let's all apply to our Landlords for the spare bedroom to be removed?

Seems stupid to do that, but then, to penalise someone for living in a house when the whole district has thousands of houses exactly the same, with no alternative seems even worse.
cmonstanley likes this.
Old 16-07-2012, 19:15   #15
God Member

i got a letter from my landlord saying to preppare myself for teh extra i will have to pay because i have a second bedroom.

luckily in a few weeks this wont be an issue for me i will be paying my own rent but it is absolutely disgusting to force people further into poverty who can barely make ends meet as it is.

Just wait until they bring in no housing benefits for under 25 year olds and families been forced into been homeless

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..