Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-03-2012, 12:13   #1
God Member

Charity Collectors On Broadway

Not the chuggers but the collectors. Does anyone actually check them out ?

Last week and on several previous occasions there have been collections for Help The Heroes, couple of rings of red buckets and a speaker blaring out music, usually the same song all day.

The same people are there this week with the same setup, but have now swapped the H4H stickers for Christies.

Are they legit ?
Old 16-03-2012, 12:30   #2
Resting In Peace

Re: Charity Collectors On Broadway

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post

Last week and on several previous occasions there have been collections for Help The Heroes, couple of rings of red buckets and a speaker blaring out music, usually the same song all day.

The same people are there this week with the same setup, but have now swapped the H4H stickers for Christies.

Are they legit ?
Don't they have to have a licence to do that? Bit suspicious, same folk collecting for two different organisations.

Edit: found this on the www

It is illegal in this country to hold a Street Collection to collect money or sell articles for the benefit of charitable or other purposes without obtaining a Street Collection Licence from the Council if that collection is to be held 'in a street or public place'. A 'public place' is a 'place where the public has access'.

If they have a licence they should be able to produce it if you ask to see it.

Last edited by susie123; 16-03-2012 at 12:33.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 12:37   #3
Resting In Peace

HBC website:

Street Collection Licences - Street Collection Licences

From that page:

Street collections must be for a charitable purpose but do not need to be by a registered charity. Money is collected in tins. Regulations govern this type of collection.

The purpose of the legal requirement to obtain consent is to ensure collectors are properly authorised and that money is collected in a secure way and the total proceeds collected are properly accounted for.

The buckets don't sound right to me!
Old 16-03-2012, 12:46   #4
God Member

When they where last there it was a bunch of teenagers collecting, are they teenagers again Dave? I'd say late teens?
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 12:47   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
When they where last there it was a bunch of teenagers collecting, are they teenagers again Dave? I'd say late teens?
Yep, and a dog
Old 16-03-2012, 12:50   #6
God Member

Hmmm one gangly looking lad and two girls, it needs reporting
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 15:38   #7
Full Member+

I used to be a charity volunteer for Christies against cancer .I always had to carry identity issued by Christies , this also carried my photo.Street collections had to go through the correct chanels , I think the council or town hall.
Greeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 15:49   #8

I have asked Clare Pritchard (who is the Cabinet member with the responsiblity for issuing the licences)to check whether these people have been issued with a licence to carry out street collections in Hyndburn.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 17:22   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Nice one claytonender its worth checking out imho.
Old 16-03-2012, 17:31   #10
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
I have asked Clare Pritchard (who is the Cabinet member with the responsiblity for issuing the licences)to check whether these people have been issued with a licence to carry out street collections in Hyndburn.
Well done, just a shame we don't have a Police force to move them and bench wreckers away from our Centre.

Oops sorry the benches were fine until they were moved, no sign of replacements and an authority to keep them clean for ordinary folk yet?

No, I thought not.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 17:33   #11
Give, give, give member

Friday 20th April we're doing a collection, and providing information, as part of Parkinson's Awareness Week.

Licence applied for, and granted.

So if you see us looking a bit shifty, it's because we're trying not to shake our tins, because you're not supposed to do that.

It's going to be a bit of a challenge.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 17:36   #12
Resting in Peace

Well years ago, there were stringent test if you wanted a street collection, I used to run one each year for the National Asthma Campaign, its seems funny that they were blaring music out, when we got the rules and regs your not even supposed to shake the tins
Old 16-03-2012, 19:48   #13
Senior Member+

Take some photos, including close-ups of faces and anything which says who they are collecting for. Do it again next week. TYhere musty be somebody at the police station who will take an interst in them. A PCSO won't do. Needs somebody with a power of arrest.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 22:45   #14
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
I wonder who has the authority to check them out and what would happen if they don't have a license.
Old 16-03-2012, 22:47   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I wonder who has the authority to check them out and what would happen if they don't have a license.
See post 8,

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..