Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-10-2008, 20:29   #46

Re: Charity Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Maybe that comes down to those doing the judging.

Also if the bid meets all the relevant criteria for the particular bid and the forms are correctly filled in and all the supporting evidence is there to show the need then it should get the funding.

I personally believe it is irrelevent wether forms are correctly filled in. At the end of the day so much money is allocated to so many types of projects and I'm convinced that the people who decide what projects are worthy are the ones that are close to their hearts.
mothernature is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-10-2008, 21:02   #47
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothernature View Post
I personally believe it is irrelevent wether forms are correctly filled in. At the end of the day so much money is allocated to so many types of projects and I'm convinced that the people who decide what projects are worthy are the ones that are close to their hearts.
Don't quite believe that Mothernature ... they have to be impartial, and believe they are .. 'course we are only talking lottery money here, not the charities who hire professionals to raise money.

The 'judges' of the lottery allocation have no local knowledge, such as the one at Rhyddings Park, so have to judge on the case put forward by the applicant. Or am I incorrect, and they come and look for themselves ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 21:06   #48
God Member

A bit of both, Katex. When there are large amounts of money at stake they do tend to have a meeting with the applicants - basically to check out if the application makes sense and is worthy.

But, as far as they are concerned they treat all applicants equally.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 21:07   #49
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
I don't think I understand what you mean by that. Are you saying that it does not matter if you fill the forms in correctly?
Old 15-10-2008, 21:16   #50
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
A bit of both, Katex. When there are large amounts of money at stake they do tend to have a meeting with the applicants - basically to check out if the application makes sense and is worthy.

But, as far as they are concerned they treat all applicants equally.

I would think though that in the case of Rhyddings, was not just their particular need or the quality of the application, but they probably looked at other parks and recreation areas in the area and decided was not urgent at the moment ?

Perhaps if it had been the only park in an area of 20 miles with heavy population, would not have been a problem.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 21:21   #51

Quote:
I don't think I understand what you mean by that. Are you saying that it does not matter if you fill the forms in correctly?

No. What I am saying is given the choice and not knowing the areas involved, would you support a charity that means nothing to you or would you support one that you feel for.
mothernature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2008, 09:44   #52
Resting in Peace

Quote:
No one has to work harder than anyone else - everyone has exactly the same forms to fill in.
That could well be true Gayle, but in my way of thinking not everyone is treated equally, you know the old saying every one is equal, yet some are more equal than others springs to mind. It has long been said that the people who dole out the cash are members of the bleeding heart brigade, there has also been a call from many quarters that its time for more imput from the people who actually put their money down every week and buy tickets, and I firmly subscribe t that
Old 16-10-2008, 10:02   #53
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
No. What I am saying is given the choice and not knowing the areas involved, would you support a charity that means nothing to you or would you support one that you feel for.
So do you think the accessing bodies are biased to groups they are associated with?
Old 16-10-2008, 10:02   #54
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
I would think though that in the case of Rhyddings, was not just their particular need or the quality of the application, but they probably looked at other parks and recreation areas in the area and decided was not urgent at the moment ?

Perhaps if it had been the only park in an area of 20 miles with heavy population, would not have been a problem.
Ask me about it on Saturday.
Old 16-10-2008, 10:17   #55
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
That could well be true Gayle, but in my way of thinking not everyone is treated equally, you know the old saying every one is equal, yet some are more equal than others springs to mind. It has long been said that the people who dole out the cash are members of the bleeding heart brigade, there has also been a call from many quarters that its time for more imput from the people who actually put their money down every week and buy tickets, and I firmly subscribe t that

Sorry Jaysay but I completely disagree. No one is more equal than others - I know exactly what you mean by this - if the forms are filled in and application fulfils the criteria then there is no justification for refusing it.

The system is not flawed. The flaws come in the applications.

The Big Lottery is managed in Newcastle Upon Tyne. Bids from all around the country are processed there. Arts Council have regional offices so bids are processed in Manchester for our area and the same for Heritage Lottery, they have a regional centre. So there is no bias towards southern based projects!

They are not run by 'bleeding hearts' in fact I think it's the opposite and it's almost too clinical. If you sent in an application that was too emotional but not full of the correct data and information it would definitely get refused.

Old 16-10-2008, 10:38   #56
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Sorry Jaysay but I completely disagree. No one is more equal than others - I know exactly what you mean by this - if the forms are filled in and application fulfils the criteria then there is no justification for refusing it.

The system is not flawed. The flaws come in the applications.

The Big Lottery is managed in Newcastle Upon Tyne. Bids from all around the country are processed there. Arts Council have regional offices so bids are processed in Manchester for our area and the same for Heritage Lottery, they have a regional centre. So there is no bias towards southern based projects!

They are not run by 'bleeding hearts' in fact I think it's the opposite and it's almost too clinical. If you sent in an application that was too emotional but not full of the correct data and information it would definitely get refused.
I have actually seen one of these forms, although a long time ago, and to be quite honest, you need to be a boffin just to fill in the basics. However, I still say that the people who actually play the lottery should have a say in where the money goes. You say there is no bias, but tell me how many people who play the lottery have actually been the the Royal Opera House or the National Ballet, yet these London based organisaions were showered with Millions of Lotter money, to me I'd sooner see money spent in Rhyddings Park or The Accrington Blind society rather than projects which are suported by people who have probably never bought a lottery ticket in their lives
Old 16-10-2008, 10:50   #57
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
However, I still say that the people who actually play the lottery should have a say in where the money goes.
So do I, I don't want to see £25,000,000 spent on the Olympic shooting venue so they can use it for six weeks then pull it down

London officials back Woolwich shooting venue - Telegraph
Old 16-10-2008, 10:57   #58
Resting in Peace

Quote:
So do I, I don't want to see £25,000,000 spent on the Olympic shooting venue so they can use it for six weeks then pull it down

London officials back Woolwich shooting venue - Telegraph
Bloody stupid, not only that but every time we here of 2012, the price has gone up, only this week the government has bailed out the Olympic Village to the tune of around £90 million, seems the Government is bailing everything out, how about a few quid for Pets Corner in Rhyddings Park, Gordon, we've got a new Goat and its eating us out of house and home
Old 16-10-2008, 10:58   #59
God Member

This is a link to show how funds are divided and who manages the funding.

The National Lottery Good Causes :: About Lottery funding - FAQs

Yes, I too would like to see Rhyddings Park get the money and the Blind Society and all other local charities. Just out of curiosity Jaysay, how would you make the decision that Rhyddings Park should get the money and not a park in Reading or in Durham? Would you not identify some criteria which the applicants would have to prove that they can fulfil?

As for the bigger flagship grants - yes there are a few of them and yes they may seem elitist but they are not made to the detriment of smaller grants to smaller applicants. I'm not thrilled with the Olympics at the moment as a lot of money is being diverted to sports but on the other hand, when the Olympics are over they'll divert it back to the arts to make it fair.

As for smaller charities - if they don't apply then they don't get the funding! Have the Blind Society ever applied?

Old 16-10-2008, 11:05   #60
Resting in Peace

Quote:
This is a link to show how funds are divided and who manages the funding.

The National Lottery Good Causes :: About Lottery funding - FAQs

Yes, I too would like to see Rhyddings Park get the money and the Blind Society and all other local charities. Just out of curiosity Jaysay, how would you make the decision that Rhyddings Park should get the money and not a park in Reading or in Durham? Would you not identify some criteria which the applicants would have to prove that they can fulfil?

As for the bigger flagship grants - yes there are a few of them and yes they may seem elitist but they are not made to the detriment of smaller grants to smaller applicants. I'm not thrilled with the Olympics at the moment as a lot of money is being diverted to sports but on the other hand, when the Olympics are over they'll divert it back to the arts to make it fair.

As for smaller charities - if they don't apply then they don't get the funding! Have the Blind Society ever applied?
With regards to Rhyddigs Park v a Park in Reading, I'd just send um a photo of Rhyddings Park Gayle, sorted

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..