Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-10-2008, 11:16   #61
God Member

Re: Charity Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
With regards to Rhyddigs Park v a Park in Reading, I'd just send um a photo of Rhyddings Park Gayle, sorted

Oh well, in that case, such a use of logic can't fail!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-10-2008, 11:21   #62
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
With regards to Rhyddigs Park v a Park in Reading, I'd just send um a photo of Rhyddings Park Gayle, sorted
And they may just think "why should we give money to a park that has obviously been neglected by the local Council?"

Now if the evidence was submitted with the bid that the park would not again be neglected and that management, maintenance and budget plans were in place they might agree with you.
Old 16-10-2008, 14:04   #63
Resident Waffler

See, you have to know HOW to apply!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2008, 16:08   #64
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
See, you have to know HOW to apply!
Yes, but knowing HOW to do something doesn't actually make the task easier, it just means that you are better equiped to do it. Brain surgery is easier if you've been taught how to operate on brains.

Old 16-10-2008, 16:14   #65
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
And they may just think "why should we give money to a park that has obviously been neglected by the local Council?"

Now if the evidence was submitted with the bid that the park would not again be neglected and that management, maintenance and budget plans were in place they might agree with you.
Well thats exactly what I meant Neil, how foolish to think otherwise
Old 16-10-2008, 16:21   #66
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Yes, but knowing HOW to do something doesn't actually make the task easier, it just means that you are better equiped to do it. Brain surgery is easier if you've been taught how to operate on brains.
But do you not think is stupid when the criteria is so that you have to engage profesional people to fill out forms to get funding for essential community needs, in my eyes it kind of defeats the object entirely, and in a lot of cases puts people and groups off applying
Old 16-10-2008, 16:40   #67
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
But do you not think is stupid when the criteria is so that you have to engage profesional people to fill out forms to get funding for essential community needs, in my eyes it kind of defeats the object entirely, and in a lot of cases puts people and groups off applying
I do and I don't. They have to be able to assess each application and make sure the money is needed and going to be used properly.

I would be careful arguing with Gayle, she will sneak round your place and turn your oxygen off
Old 16-10-2008, 17:13   #68
God Member

Quote:
Well I can see your point of view but the problem is the balance - they have to make sure that the causes who get the money are the right ones so they have to ask the right questions. If they make it too easy then lots of unworthy causes will end up taking all the money anyway so they have to put a few hoops there for people to jump through.

Old 17-10-2008, 09:48   #69
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Well I can see your point of view but the problem is the balance - they have to make sure that the causes who get the money are the right ones so they have to ask the right questions. If they make it too easy then lots of unworthy causes will end up taking all the money anyway so they have to put a few hoops there for people to jump through.
Oh you mean the Royal Opera and the National Ballet Gayleand don't take any notice of the Neil I don't think for a minute you could be so nasty as sneek round a turn my oxygen off
Old 17-10-2008, 10:12   #70
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Oh you mean the Royal Opera and the National Ballet Gayleand don't take any notice of the Neil I don't think for a minute you could be so nasty as sneek round a turn my oxygen off
No but she might swap the bottle with one of these

Attached Images
File Type: jpg fartgas.jpg (12.9 KB, 44 views)
Old 17-10-2008, 10:39   #71
Resting in Peace

Quote:
No but she might swap the bottle with one of these

Nice one Neil, the only trouble is I don't have bottles I only have draught
Old 17-10-2008, 16:47   #72

Quote:
So do you think the accessing bodies are biased to groups they are associated with?

I never said associated with. What I mean is if you had the choice of granting monies to a worthy charity, would it be to one you feel for more than another. For example, I personally would always lean towards environmental/animal charities before religous/overseas charities.
mothernature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2008, 20:59   #73
Caz
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothernature View Post
I never said associated with. What I mean is if you had the choice of granting monies to a worthy charity, would it be to one you feel for more than another. For example, I personally would always lean towards environmental/animal charities before religous/overseas charities.

Well presumably it would not just be down to once person to decide, so if you wanted to save a donkey you might be over ruled by the rest of whatever comittee.

Would have thought these things have to go through several stages in the processing, they don't just open the application and decide yes or no. Maybe certain amounts to go certain sectors. I'm only guessing so don't jump on me if I'm wrong, but seems logical.

If you have the right people involved with your organisation you don't necessarily need to employ a professional, as long as the person given the task knows what they are doing.

"Mr P" at 1st Church Boys' Brigade, is brilliant at this , and secured grants, funds and equipment from various avenues, including i believe, a small amount from lottery funding.

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2008, 12:13   #74
Resting in Peace

There is a letter in the Observer of a reader showing disgust at 'Peter Britcliffe' applying for the £1.6 million purely for Rhyddings Park, and not for other areas. Does appear to be quite a sum ? He is accredited, therefore, with this application .. again, not sure if correct.

Also he stated last week after notification of failure to secure funds that it was judged on "political not actual need" ????

To carry on Mr Britcliffe's statement:-

"I think it is disgraceful because we were led to believe it would be a success. Most of the cash, which is in the millions of pounds, has gone to Manchester and Liverpool. What I see is a Government trying to churn up support in larger areas"

Surely not
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2008, 13:49   #75
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
There is a letter in the Observer of a reader showing disgust at 'Peter Britcliffe' applying for the £1.6 million purely for Rhyddings Park, and not for other areas. Does appear to be quite a sum ? He is accredited, therefore, with this application .. again, not sure if correct.

Also he stated last week after notification of failure to secure funds that it was judged on "political not actual need" ????

To carry on Mr Britcliffe's statement:-

"I think it is disgraceful because we were led to believe it would be a success. Most of the cash, which is in the millions of pounds, has gone to Manchester and Liverpool. What I see is a Government trying to churn up support in larger areas"

Surely not
Well kate they've got to start wooing their support in the heartlands of Liverpool and Manchester now that their new found friends in the South East have rumbled them

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..