Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-10-2008, 15:12   #76
Resting in Peace

Re: Charity Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well kate they've got to start wooing their support in the heartlands of Liverpool and Manchester now that their new found friends in the South East have rumbled them
Just can't understand what the Government have to do with the distribution of lottery funds, supposed to be an independent body isn't it ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-10-2008, 09:37   #77
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Just can't understand what the Government have to do with the distribution of lottery funds, supposed to be an independent body isn't it ?
Exactly
Old 19-10-2008, 20:01   #78
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Well kate they've got to start wooing their support in the heartlands of Liverpool and Manchester now that their new found friends in the South East have rumbled them
I have no idea what that means
Old 19-10-2008, 20:31   #79
God Member

just a question as an uninvolved outsider , why are these lottery funds not split up on a regional/county basis , if area 'X' supplies 10% of the lottery money why don't they get back 10% of the Charity money ? would think every lottery outlet is hooked up to a central computer

just curious
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2008, 21:04   #80
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Maybe because we are a lot smaller over here.

Some of the lottery funders are set out like that. There is more than one lottery based f unding body. Different funding streams are specific towards certain types of projects.
Old 19-10-2008, 21:19   #81
God Member

I suspect that the argument would be that they want to make it fair. Imagine if one area of the country has very little money and so spends very little on the lottery - they're probably the area that needs the lottery funding.

From what I've seen they do spread lottery funds fairly evenly around the country. Hyndburn is now one of the the Fairshare areas. There are a few areas up and down the country that have been designated Fairshare by the lottery. A set amount of money was then put aside for each of those areas to address the balance.

I'll also repeat what I've said many times - Hyndburn has missed out on funding mostly because few organisations apply for the funding and so therefore less comes to Hyndburn.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2008, 07:25   #82
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
I would say this is a bit naive katex, there isnt much of our money that the government arnt involved with, especially when it comes to stealing it, or taxing and distributing it, I am bold enough to suggest that the lottery grants go more or less exactly where the government want them to go.
Old 20-10-2008, 07:41   #83
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
I would say this is a bit naive katex, there isnt much of our money that the government arnt involved with, especially when it comes to stealing it, or taxing and distributing it, I am bold enough to suggest that the lottery grants go more or less exactly where the government want them to go.
I don't believe they do, except for the Olympics that is.

If you want lottery funding and you are going down the funding grant route then you need to be able to meet the required criteria, show proof that you meet it and show proof of need. All this is done by submitting a correctly filled in application form with documentation evidence.

I can't see why so many people can't understand the need to complete and application form correctly. You have to fill in forms from everything from house insurance to benefits etc.
Old 20-10-2008, 09:12   #84
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I suspect that the argument would be that they want to make it fair. Imagine if one area of the country has very little money and so spends very little on the lottery - they're probably the area that needs the lottery funding.

From what I've seen they do spread lottery funds fairly evenly around the country. Hyndburn is now one of the the Fairshare areas. There are a few areas up and down the country that have been designated Fairshare by the lottery. A set amount of money was then put aside for each of those areas to address the balance.

I'll also repeat what I've said many times - Hyndburn has missed out on funding mostly because few organisations apply for the funding and so therefore less comes to Hyndburn.
It has long been known Gayle that deprived areas usually have the busiest bookies, so you can bet that the same thing applies to the lottery too, and the fairshare areas have most probably been set aside at the behest of the Government
Old 20-10-2008, 09:15   #85
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I have no idea what that means
You've led a sheltered life Neil, and never been involved in politics
Old 20-10-2008, 10:22   #86

Only just got to read through the thread . Obviously money has to be stashed to some extent so that they are ready to invest in any breakthrough. The placeis an institution and is moving forward by the day. CASHMAN>>>>>>>>>>>> I am surprised at your imput and I don't think anyone would like to grant you wish .
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2008, 12:03   #87
God Member

This press release shows where the latest round of funding went to - i.e. the parks that got it when Rhyddings Park missed out. Just for the record Rhyddings was only at Stage 1 - so would have been part of the very last list right at the bottom IF it had been awarded anything.

Today, the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) and Big Lottery Fund (BIG) have announced that five historic parks in England are set to be transformed with the help of grants totalling £14million. This money from the joint Parks for People* programme will help regenerate much-loved parks in Newcastle, West Bromwich, Plymouth, Newark and Worcester.

A further nine parks are also celebrating today having been awarded £913,700 to help develop detailed proposals for grants of £17million**.

Communities Secretary Hazel Blears, said "We all know that good quality parks are essential to our communities. They can make a real difference to our health and social wellbeing. We've seen a renaissance of our parks in recent years and this new funding will mean that even more people will be able to enjoy high quality green spaces to relax, exercise and play. I hope that local communities take this opportunity to get involved in restoring their parks as places for us all to enjoy."

Jenny Abramsky, Chair of the Heritage Lottery Fund, said “Parks are special places that enrich our lives and contribute to the well-being of communities across the country. Lottery funding has had a huge impact on hundreds of parks, creating wonderful recreation areas for millions to enjoy.”

Sir Clive Booth, Chair of the Big Lottery Fund, added “Today’s investment will help to ensure that communities get the most of what parks have to offer. Parks require a lot of maintenance and care and this funding will help to preserve these valuable green spaces and the environment for the future.”

The five parks receiving funding are:

Reason for cheer in Newcastle
Ouseburn Parks form a green corridor through the heart of Newcastle. The historic valley landscape, originally part of Lord Armstrong’s private estate, covers 68 hectares and contains three scheduled monuments and a staggering 18 listed buildings and structures.

The £4.5million grant will fund the conservation of the park’s landscape and repairs to paths and entrances. Key historic features, such as Quarry Garden, the Grotto and the bridges, will be sensitively restored whilst conservation will be carried out on historical ruins including St Mary’s Chapel and King John’s Palace. There will be new facilities such as a play area for children and a picnic area. Plans also include extending Millfield House to form a new education space and visitor centre, as well as improvements to ‘Pets Corner’, a popular free animal petting attraction.

West Brom’s finest
Dartmouth Park is an example of a traditional Victorian urban park, providing a unique link between the town centre of West Bromwich and nearby Sandwell Valley Country Park. It contains a range of floral displays, lake, a children’s play area and sweeping views of Sandwell Valley.

The £4.4million investment will regenerate the grounds and reveal the park’s authentic Victorian feel. Historic features such as the lakes, war memorial and avenue will be restored. New facilities are also planned for the site to make the park more appealing, including toilets and visitor centre.

150 years of history in Plymouth
Once military land, Devonport Park in Plymouth dates back to the 1850s, with strong links to the local maritime and military history. This green space is home to three listed buildings, a rare gun captured during the Boer War, a war memorial, an original park keeper's lodge, as well as other historic monuments and fountains.

A grant of £3.3million will fund a project which will improve facilities and provide a focus for community activities. The original landscape will be restored and the park’s play area and football pitches will be refurbished. A special area will be created to provide a focus for the Friends of Devonport Park's increasingly successful events’ programme.

Worcester remembers the fallen
Gheluvelt Park in Worcester opened in 1922 to commemorate the Battle of Gheluvelt in 1914 in which the Worcestershire Regiment helped save the Channel Ports from enemy occupation. It provides a vital green lung for thousands of people in the city of Worcester and includes beautiful heritage features such as an ornate bandstand which is currently in disrepair.

The £803,000 grant will allow the park to be returned to its original design, including the restoration of historic railings, provision of a new play and water area, enhancement of the gardens and telling the story of the famous battle.

Newark’s park with a story
Sconce and Devon Park is the largest area of public open space in the market town of Newark in Nottinghamshire. It contains a local nature reserve, children’s play facilities, sports pitches and heritage features such as the Queen’s Sconce, a large Civil War fortification made of earth and gravel, which was built by the Royalist defenders of Newark between 1644 and 1645. The Sconce is nationally significant as it is the best preserved example of a Civil War earthwork remaining in England.

Thanks to a grant of £1.13million, Sconce and Devon Park will be revitalised and new facilities will make it more welcoming. Once restored, the fascinating history of the Queen’s Sconce will be explained to visitors with the help of a special display area, podcasts and a family trail.

Notes to Editors:

*The ‘Parks for People’ programme has a two-stage application process. At Stage One, an organisation can apply for a development grant to contribute to the costs of developing the project for a Stage Two application. If a Stage One Pass is awarded, with or without development funding, it does not guarantee a full grant at Stage Two.
**The nine parks awarded a Stage One Pass with development funding are:
Bishops Park and Fulham Palace Grounds, London (£270,000)
Wallsend Parks, North Tyneside (£160,500)
Burslem Park, Stoke-on-Trent (£142,000)
Priory Park, Dudley (£110,000)
Middleton Park, Leeds (£101,000)
St James Park, Southampton (£64,500)
Dunwood Park, Oldham (£45,800)
Mesnes Park, Wigan (£12,000)
Hillworth Park, Wiltshire (£7,900)

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2008, 16:05   #88
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
This press release shows where the latest round of funding went to - i.e. the parks that got it when Rhyddings Park missed out. Just for the record Rhyddings was only at Stage 1 - so would have been part of the very last list right at the bottom IF it had been awarded anything.

Today, the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) and Big Lottery Fund (BIG) have announced that five historic parks in England are set to be transformed with the help of grants totalling £14million. This money from the joint Parks for People* programme will help regenerate much-loved parks in Newcastle, West Bromwich, Plymouth, Newark and Worcester.

A further nine parks are also celebrating today having been awarded £913,700 to help develop detailed proposals for grants of £17million**.

Communities Secretary Hazel Blears, said "We all know that good quality parks are essential to our communities. They can make a real difference to our health and social wellbeing. We've seen a renaissance of our parks in recent years and this new funding will mean that even more people will be able to enjoy high quality green spaces to relax, exercise and play. I hope that local communities take this opportunity to get involved in restoring their parks as places for us all to enjoy."

Jenny Abramsky, Chair of the Heritage Lottery Fund, said “Parks are special places that enrich our lives and contribute to the well-being of communities across the country. Lottery funding has had a huge impact on hundreds of parks, creating wonderful recreation areas for millions to enjoy.”

Sir Clive Booth, Chair of the Big Lottery Fund, added “Today’s investment will help to ensure that communities get the most of what parks have to offer. Parks require a lot of maintenance and care and this funding will help to preserve these valuable green spaces and the environment for the future.”

The five parks receiving funding are:

Reason for cheer in Newcastle
Ouseburn Parks form a green corridor through the heart of Newcastle. The historic valley landscape, originally part of Lord Armstrong’s private estate, covers 68 hectares and contains three scheduled monuments and a staggering 18 listed buildings and structures.

The £4.5million grant will fund the conservation of the park’s landscape and repairs to paths and entrances. Key historic features, such as Quarry Garden, the Grotto and the bridges, will be sensitively restored whilst conservation will be carried out on historical ruins including St Mary’s Chapel and King John’s Palace. There will be new facilities such as a play area for children and a picnic area. Plans also include extending Millfield House to form a new education space and visitor centre, as well as improvements to ‘Pets Corner’, a popular free animal petting attraction.

West Brom’s finest
Dartmouth Park is an example of a traditional Victorian urban park, providing a unique link between the town centre of West Bromwich and nearby Sandwell Valley Country Park. It contains a range of floral displays, lake, a children’s play area and sweeping views of Sandwell Valley.

The £4.4million investment will regenerate the grounds and reveal the park’s authentic Victorian feel. Historic features such as the lakes, war memorial and avenue will be restored. New facilities are also planned for the site to make the park more appealing, including toilets and visitor centre.

150 years of history in Plymouth
Once military land, Devonport Park in Plymouth dates back to the 1850s, with strong links to the local maritime and military history. This green space is home to three listed buildings, a rare gun captured during the Boer War, a war memorial, an original park keeper's lodge, as well as other historic monuments and fountains.

A grant of £3.3million will fund a project which will improve facilities and provide a focus for community activities. The original landscape will be restored and the park’s play area and football pitches will be refurbished. A special area will be created to provide a focus for the Friends of Devonport Park's increasingly successful events’ programme.

Worcester remembers the fallen
Gheluvelt Park in Worcester opened in 1922 to commemorate the Battle of Gheluvelt in 1914 in which the Worcestershire Regiment helped save the Channel Ports from enemy occupation. It provides a vital green lung for thousands of people in the city of Worcester and includes beautiful heritage features such as an ornate bandstand which is currently in disrepair.

The £803,000 grant will allow the park to be returned to its original design, including the restoration of historic railings, provision of a new play and water area, enhancement of the gardens and telling the story of the famous battle.

Newark’s park with a story
Sconce and Devon Park is the largest area of public open space in the market town of Newark in Nottinghamshire. It contains a local nature reserve, children’s play facilities, sports pitches and heritage features such as the Queen’s Sconce, a large Civil War fortification made of earth and gravel, which was built by the Royalist defenders of Newark between 1644 and 1645. The Sconce is nationally significant as it is the best preserved example of a Civil War earthwork remaining in England.

Thanks to a grant of £1.13million, Sconce and Devon Park will be revitalised and new facilities will make it more welcoming. Once restored, the fascinating history of the Queen’s Sconce will be explained to visitors with the help of a special display area, podcasts and a family trail.

Notes to Editors:

*The ‘Parks for People’ programme has a two-stage application process. At Stage One, an organisation can apply for a development grant to contribute to the costs of developing the project for a Stage Two application. If a Stage One Pass is awarded, with or without development funding, it does not guarantee a full grant at Stage Two.
**The nine parks awarded a Stage One Pass with development funding are:
Bishops Park and Fulham Palace Grounds, London (£270,000)
Wallsend Parks, North Tyneside (£160,500)
Burslem Park, Stoke-on-Trent (£142,000)
Priory Park, Dudley (£110,000)
Middleton Park, Leeds (£101,000)
St James Park, Southampton (£64,500)
Dunwood Park, Oldham (£45,800)
Mesnes Park, Wigan (£12,000)
Hillworth Park, Wiltshire (£7,900)
Not been in a park for years.Thought I'd keep it brief,Sorry
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2008, 16:07   #89
Resting in Peace

I gave up reading and lost the will to live, the minute Hazel Blears name was mentioned
Old 21-10-2008, 16:39   #90
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I gave up reading and lost the will to live, the minute Hazel Blears name was mentioned
You got further than me,Must be your age.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..