Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-06-2004, 11:52   #16

Re: Charter 04

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
I am asking a perfectly serious question and your acting like a child

Exactly my point.. So where is this freedom of speech your saying exists or used to exist. There has never been freedom of speech.. there have always been laws to stop you saying things you may want to say for whatever reason

I ahve no idea. i was talking about freedom of speech in general and not just your racist outburst.
There we go again...Now go and have a good lie down this time, and close your eyes and relax.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-06-2004, 11:55   #17
Resident Waffler

There are laws limiting what one can and cannot say under certain circumstances (such as slander and libel) and in a civilised society there needs to be some sort of limit. Total freedom of speech could lead to anarchy.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2004, 12:01   #18
God Member

Excatly my point.. there are varying levels of free speech but there is no actual free speech.. there never has been. In all walks of life not just the internet.. there will always be people who would take advantage of real free speech so wether we like it or not it has to be given limits.. Poeple who dont like thes elimits might then argue that there freedom of speech has been taken away.

The awfull truth is that our opinions dont count for anything.. there is no free speech and in all honesty i cant envisage a time when there ever would be..

Oh dear... Darby if your not going to contribute to the debate then can you please direct your childishness elsewhere.....

KIPAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2004, 12:29   #19

Quote:
Excatly my point.. there are varying levels of free speech but there is no actual free speech.. there never has been. In all walks of life not just the internet.. there will always be people who would take advantage of real free speech so wether we like it or not it has to be given limits.. Poeple who dont like thes elimits might then argue that there freedom of speech has been taken away.

The awfull truth is that our opinions dont count for anything.. there is no free speech and in all honesty i cant envisage a time when there ever would be..

Oh dear... Darby if your not going to contribute to the debate then can you please direct your childishness elsewhere.....

Oh dear, get down from your hobby horse for a minute.

I can see exactly the point from Willow, and he's right. Total anarchy would be the result of the "lack of Laws" that do not prohibit, but limit how much one can say. You can still say it...but you may be prosecuted..in law. The freedom is that if you believe you are right, and cannot be proven wrong...then say it. All of the forgoing refers to libel and slander, which are different issues from freedom of speech.

Back once more to the law. Where does the law of the land prohibit saying certain words?
Accusations, slander and libel apart, I know of no known act of law that prohibits defined words. This allows all of us to use such words within the bounds of our consciences and our common sense. Offence by the usage of words is subjective and not against a known law.

So we have the right and freedom to our own speech, as and when we see fit, within our own bounds.

Remember Speakers Corner at Hyde Park in London. Anybody could (and as far as I know still does) stand on an orange box and say what they wanted without let or hindrence. You could call for the death penalty, you could call the queen a parasite, you could say that the legal system was full of corruption, or spout-off about immigration and repatriation, and many, many more things. And anybody could listen or even argue back, but no violence was allowed. I know this because I use to go there in the 60's. BANG THE BOMB and all that!

That was Freedom of Speech in practice, and nobody has rescinded that right!

If anybody feels that that right is not fair or should be withdrawn, I would invite them to write to their MP, Greg Pope for example or even Jack Straw. And ask for the Freedom of Speech to be denied by an Act of Parliament.

As a further proof of freedom of speech, the Bristol Evening Telegraph contains a weekly column "The Devils Advocate", by one - Mr. Beezelbub, and I can assure you that such words that have already been banned on this website are contained in his column. No actions against him or the paper have ever been made, or are likely to be made.

So not only have we freedom of speech, but we have practical examples of it in use !
Old 23-06-2004, 12:38   #20
God Member

Quote:
Oh dear, get down from your hobby horse for a minute.
I stopped reading at that point...
Old 23-06-2004, 12:42   #21

Quote:
I stopped reading at that point...
So Kipax opts out of the race!

Pity, as I thought he could learn something. Never mind I'm sure somebody else will take up the restrictive cudgel!
Old 23-06-2004, 12:44   #22
God Member

Wrong again. I stopped reading your post when it got to the childish bit.. Maybe if you place your insults at the bottom of the post rather than the top then I wont realise and be fooled into reading the whole thing.

Just a suggestion
Old 23-06-2004, 13:04   #23

Quote:
Wrong again. I stopped reading your post when it got to the childish bit.. Maybe if you place your insults at the bottom of the post rather than the top then I wont realise and be fooled into reading the whole thing.

Just a suggestion
I wouldn't want to fool you, I thought you wanted decent debate?
Now come on.... and try harder!
Old 23-06-2004, 13:07   #24
God Member

Quote:
Now come on.... and try harder!
ZZZZZzzzzzz....... Sorry but this has now deteriorated into darby trying to insult anyone who disagrees wiht him... I am moving on and will leave him to the thread.. i suspect on his own ....

Smile..it aint real life
Old 23-06-2004, 13:09   #25
God Member

Hi Darby...have I missed much?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2004, 13:11   #26
God Member

hahahahahahaha Cant keep away can you tealeaf... how long did it last... half an hour? hahahahaha

no really.. thats the last on in this thread.... I just had to
Old 23-06-2004, 13:15   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Hi Darby...have I missed much?
Hi Tealeaf, I'm glad you decided to return to the fold.

No, you didn't miss much, nothing challenging. A few posts from Kipax without much substance, but he's gone away now.

Freedom of Speech still reigns, despite a few whispers. :engsmil: :engsmil: :engsmil: :engsmil: :engsmil:
Old 23-06-2004, 13:20   #28

Quote:
hahahahahahaha Cant keep away can you tealeaf... how long did it last... half an hour? hahahahaha

no really.. thats the last on in this thread.... I just had to
Promise? for real?
Old 23-06-2004, 13:28   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darby
Hi Tealeaf, I'm glad you decided to return to the fold.

No, you didn't miss much, nothing challenging. A few posts from Kipax without much substance, but he's gone away now.

Freedom of Speech still reigns, despite a few whispers. :engsmil: :engsmil: :engsmil: :engsmil: :engsmil:
Yep...not missed much & everything seems in order.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2004, 16:20   #30
Roy
Administrator

I am now deleting your post from this thread acrylic bob. Personal attacks are way out of order and going to far. There was no need to bring that thread into it no matter what you thought. And then because you did not provoke a reaction you had to ask if people had seen it again! tut tut.....
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..