Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-06-2004, 12:25   #1
God Member

Charter 04

Some of you may well be old enough to remember the dark days of the Cold War. Others may not. Back then, many of our European friends were unfortunate to find themselves on the wrong side of the "Iron Curtain", or the "Berlin Wall".

Without launching into a weighty discourse into the history of Europe 1945-1990 and the eventual fall of the Iron Curtain, one particular group - in what is now the Czech Republic - stood out as a shining beacon of free speech and in the fight against censorship & oppression...the organistion was called Charter 88.

At great risk to themselves, they said the unthinkable and published the unspeakable, against what was then the Soviet equivalent of Political Correctness (You can call it any bloody name you want - it's all about the denial of free speech and freedom to write and publish). But at the end of the day, they won through.........truth and freedom emerged from the dark shadows of the collapsed Iron Curtain.

It's time therefore, to once again begin a new charter....that 0f 2004...it's object to write what we think, without fear of the heavy paw of the Accy Web Monitor's delete button.

Bagpuss, Darby, Yerself and others besides myself are members of this noble crusade.....who will join us?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-06-2004, 12:49   #2

Re: Charter 04

Tealeaf, I'd be careful of using the word "Crusade", which may be reminicent of the Christian Crusades of the 11-1300's, and may offend the ethnic minorities. Though I'm not sure if the Multi-cultured Americans would object to it.

The East Germans know a thing or two about repression of Freedom, and they to won through. Funny how you can fool some of the people some of the time, and all of the people some of the time...But not all of the people all of the time!!

When will common-sense prevail and "Free Speech" be restored?

Last edited by Darby; 23-06-2004 at 07:00.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2004, 12:57   #3
God Member

Here is my advice as we begin the century that will lead to 2081. First, guard the freedom of ideas at all costs. Be alert that dictators have always played on the natural human tendency to blame others and to oversimplify. And don't regard yourself as a guardian of freedom unless you respect and preserve the rights of people you disagree with to free, public, unhampered expression. ~Gerard K. O'Neill, 2081

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2004, 13:18   #4
Resident Waffler

Wise words.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2004, 13:28   #5

Pity more people don't respect them
Old 22-06-2004, 20:01   #6
God Member

So how many members now.. Whats the plan of action.. Isnt this exciting stuff eh
KIPAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2004, 09:48   #7
God Member

Who are the
"Traditional Enemies"
of Free Speech?

Perhaps the moderators of Accyweb should be added to the above.

Old 23-06-2004, 09:51   #8
God Member

hahaha you will be telling me next that you actually believe in free speech
Old 23-06-2004, 10:02   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipax with one pee because two causes offence
hahaha you will be telling me next that you actually believe in free speech
I certainly do. But obviously someone on here doesn't. Do you?

Old 23-06-2004, 10:07   #10
God Member

OMG you do don't you?

Tell me where you think free speech exists in this country and when it started.

There is no such thing as free speech.. there never has been. there are varying levels of free speech but there isn't actually any free speech in this country .Surely you know that?
Old 23-06-2004, 11:10   #11

I'm glad you included the German Government in your list Yerself. Did you forget NuLabour?

I too believe in the right of All human beings to freedom of speech. The alternative is supression of Free Speech, closely followed by a loss of freedom itself. Anybody who maintains that there is no such thing as free speech has never experienced life outside of their bubble. Britain is regarded by most of the civilised world (and some of the uncivilised world) to be the home of freedom and democracy. The USA is also now regarded as the protector of those values. And long may they continue.
:engsmil: :engsmil:
Old 23-06-2004, 11:16   #12
God Member

So can anyone at all tell me where and when this freedom of speech came into being?

If you say certain things that the law says you can't then you can be arrested. how does that constitute freedom of speech?

Its not a matter of opinions or living in bubbles? (whats that all about?) Its the law of the land..
Old 23-06-2004, 11:40   #13

I hope your lie down was restful, and that you have recovered.

It doesn't constitue freedom of speech, it denies it!

Which law says I can't use an abbreviated word to describe peoples from the different Indian sub-continent countries? Or from the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland? Or anyother part of the known world?

And on what statute book is freedom of speech prevented?
Old 23-06-2004, 11:51   #14
God Member

Quote:
I hope your lie down was restful, and that you have recovered.
I am asking a perfectly serious question and your acting like a child

Quote:
It doesn't constitue freedom of speech, it denies it!
Exactly my point.. So where is this freedom of speech your saying exists or used to exist. There has never been freedom of speech.. there have always been laws to stop you saying things you may want to say for whatever reason

Quote:
Which law says I can't use an abbreviated word to describe peoples from the different Indian sub-continent countries? Or from the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland? Or anyother part of the known world?
I ahve no idea. i was talking about freedom of speech in general and not just your racist outburst.
Old 23-06-2004, 11:51   #15

By the way, Tealeaf informs me that he's temporarily dropping out of this website; due to (his words): "an absence of freedom of speech".

A sad day for us all, and a great loss to the site (albeit temporarily - I hope) . I'll try to keep in touch with him and coax him back. It's sad to loose a sensible member or any member.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..