Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Studio25

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2015, 12:40   #1

Check your insurance renewal

Too many people just let their insurance renewal roll over without checking if they can get a better deal, but I've just had a massive shock when I actually read more than just the premium amount.

I just got around to renewing my car insurance and looked at the notification sent from the current insurers. £664.03 seemed quite steep so I went through the comparison websites to see if it was “representative”.

Not at all. One popped up for £315 !!!

Went to look at the renewal notice again to see if I’d missed something - it turns out there was a “Renewal administration fee” of £145.82

That’s really taking the urine! When it came to the end of my mobile minimum term, I got a really good offer to keep me signed up. With these insurance people, I have to pay 28% over and above my premium just for the privilege of them keeping my business.

On a related note. I ended up going with Aviva via Swinton at less than half the price. The meerkat page went straight to Swinton's summary page where it showed a vehicle and insured summary, a T&Cs checkbox and a "buy now" button. I realised there was nothing about my LPG conversion so I went back to the details page and checked over everything. The LPG was on, everything else was correct so I just ended up clicking "Next" a few times. When I got to the last page, the premium had gone down even further (by about £30). The moral? If you do decide you're going to buy insurance after using a comparison site, check your details before committing - you might get a further discount.

Plus I get a cuddly toy for the dogs to shred...

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-05-2015, 13:05   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Check your insurance renewal

I was with Swinton for a long time, always happy with their quotes (around £300) so didn`t really bother shopping around (just laziness on my part) until one year it went up to over £500. I asked why and they had no reasonable explanation only that it was "their best quote", so went on go compare and found another insurer who quoted about £280. Swinton rang me again asking if I wanted to take their quote and when I told them about the new quote I had they reduced theirs back down to around £300 again.
I told them if that had been your first quote you would still have my business.
I use comparison sites every year now (got £30 for the Meerkat toy on ebay this year)
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 15:46   #3
Senior Member+

Check your AA renewal as well - they are now operating an automatic renewal. Went from £62.32 last year to £252.98 this year and it had already been taken out of my account - told that the difference was because I received a 75% discount last year as a new customer. Needless to say they got told where to stuff it and I did not intend to go with them this year. Outcome being a full refund and membership cancelled.
As regards insurance - been with Aviva a few years now - renewal quote £442, with 7 years no-claims. Now checking around, Privilege £303, Churchill £313. Haven't finished checking yet but will try Swinton.
Old 05-05-2015, 15:58   #4
Senior Member+

I get free AA cover with my bank account.
Old 05-05-2015, 16:09   #5
Senior Member+

We have found Saga with the best quotes
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 18:09   #6
Full Member+

I thought it was just here in the USA that they ripped you off
I always try to speak to someone to answer the questions I have
US Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:10   #7
Senior Member+

They all sent out high renewals and when challenged they will tell you " We may be able to knock some of that" Well why not do it in the first place. If my insurance does that I tell them I am changing because they do not look after loyal customers.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:27   #8
Senior Member+

Just checked on Swinton - they suggested my current insurer - Aviva. Their quote was £40 dearer than the renewal notice from Aviva.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:47   #9
Full Member+

I usually play that game with the AA, Over £200 gets to less than £100 after some negotiation but the last renewal didn't go that way. They kept above £200 and I too got the excuse that last year was an offer to new members only, although I had been with them for 25 years. They stuck to the guns so I went to Green Flag and got an introductory deal from them.

Can anyone justify big companies spending vast fortunes to attract new customers whilst letting existing customers just slip away?

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:17   #10
Senior Member+

There is just no loyalty for existing customers.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:50   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
I use comparison sites every year now (got £30 for the Meerkat toy on ebay this year)
Really??? The dog might have to chew an old sock full of rocks then...
DaveinGermany likes this.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:45   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
Really??? The dog might have to chew an old sock full of rocks then...
Can`t find the ebay listing so checked paypal, sold for £26 + £2.80 delivery so not quite the £30 I said but still better than nothing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (17.1 KB, 3 views)

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..