Accrington Web
   

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!


Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!



Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-07-2009, 08:51   #1
Full Member
 
spex357's Avatar
 

Cheese

Cheese is classed as a basic commodity and is listed at 2500 per tonne for July 2009. My local supermarkets run offers Buy one get one free or 50% off luckily at different times, so one week cheese is 50% off @ 2.10 per 400g and perhaps Coffee is 50% free. Is the 50% off the real price and the weeks its not available a huge profit making exercise?
spex357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-07-2009, 08:57   #2
God Member
 
andrewb's Avatar
 

Re: Cheese

How do they define 'cheese' surely it depends on the kind? What do I know though, I'm not really a cheesy man..
__________________
formerly cyfr
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 09:22   #3
Full Member
 
spex357's Avatar
 

Re: Cheese

Gone off milk i suppose is the easiest way of describing it.
spex357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2009, 23:52   #4
Senior Member+
 
lindsay ormerod's Avatar
 

Re: Cheese

Cheese is THE most awesome of foods and I will happily spend a tenner on a decent selection for the old cheeseboard, it's the food of the Gods!
As for price I usually get yer ordinary "cheese on toast/grating" cheese when its on special offer, best bet is mature cheddar, anything under 2 for a large block is a bargain.Tesco usually have one of the named brands on like Cathedral City.
__________________
"Cover up those table legs Mother, they are inflaming my sexual ardour ! "
lindsay ormerod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 00:21   #5
God Member
 
shillelagh's Avatar
 

Re: Cheese

BBC NEWS | UK | England | Somerset | Earth landing for 'space cheese'

this cheese has had an interesting time!!!!
__________________
<img src=http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic2500_1.gif border=0 alt= />

The views expressed in this post is mine and mine alone
anyone want to argue
well tough!!!
shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:13   #6
Administrator


 
Neil's Avatar
 
Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by spex357 View Post
Cheese is classed as a basic commodity and is listed at 2500 per tonne for July 2009. My local supermarkets run offers Buy one get one free or 50% off luckily at different times, so one week cheese is 50% off @ 2.10 per 400g and perhaps Coffee is 50% free. Is the 50% off the real price and the weeks its not available a huge profit making exercise?
Have you worked out what 2.10 for 400g works out at at the same price for 1 tonne?

2.10 / 400 gives you the price per gram = 0.00525 per gram

0.00525 X 1000 gives price per Kg = 5.25 per Kg

5.25 X 1000 gives price per tonne = 5250 per tonne

unless my maths are wrong that is
__________________
Site Forum Rules/ Site Disclaimer can be seen from this link
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 15:27   #7
Resting in Peace
 
Benipete's Avatar
 

Re: Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Have you worked out what 2.10 for 400g works out at at the same price for 1 tonne?

2.10 / 400 gives you the price per gram = 0.00525 per gram

0.00525 X 1000 gives price per Kg = 5.25 per Kg

5.25 X 1000 gives price per tonne = 5250 per tonne

unless my maths are wrong that is
Just to make it easy for the people that are still working in old money.

A long ton (2240 lb)=101.605% of a tonne.

A short ton (2000lb)=90.72% of a tonne.
Hope that helps.
__________________


Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:19   #8
Resting in Peace
 
jaysay's Avatar
 

Re: Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
Just to make it easy for the people that are still working in old money.

A long ton (2240 lb)=101.605% of a tonne.

A short ton (2000lb)=90.72% of a tonne.
Hope that helps.
Ya Beni thats as clear as dish water
__________________
35 YEARS AND COUNTING
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 21:57   #9
white rabbits

 
grannyclaret's Avatar
 

Re: Cheese

yummy i just love any kind of cheese...
__________________
Not a full brick
grannyclaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:55   #10
Senior Member+
 
Taggy's Avatar
 

Re: Cheese

Munster and Stinking Bishop are two of my favourites...the smellier the better!! Having said that for Cheese on Toast you cant beat Lancashire Crumbly!!

Best regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:35   #11
Resting in Peace
 
jaysay's Avatar
 

Re: Cheese

When I was young I didn't like cheese one little bit, then my mum got some crumbly Lancashire cheese from Greenwoods in the market hall, which totally changed outlook on cheese altogether. I now love any type of cheese the stronger the better, but there is only one drawback it doesn't like me anymore and have to be careful just what I eat these days
__________________
35 YEARS AND COUNTING
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 15:55   #12
Senior Member+
 
Taggy's Avatar
 

Re: Cheese

Thats a shame John, i'm very much like you and love my Cheese and as i dont go out as much now, i tend to get a small selection of Cheese for weekend evenings along with some nice vino. I found a nice Cheese shop in Clitheroe not long ago called Cheese Tchaikovsky, its only a small place but she stocks a really good selection of Cheeses many of which you wont get in the Supermarkets, she does other deli things too, and bakes her own bread 2 or 3 days a week. I got some Calvados Camembert there a couple of weeks back....wow was that a flavoursome cheese!! Its washed in Calvados which helps create the rind and gives it a really distinct flavour, very pungent too....lets say you know you've got it in the house!!! I try just to eat cheese at weekends though as i had put on a bit of weight, which i'm now working off at the Gym!!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 16:05   #13
Resting in Peace
 
jaysay's Avatar
 

Re: Cheese

I just stick to the vino these days Taggy, but your description of those cheese is very tempting
__________________
35 YEARS AND COUNTING
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 22:55   #14
Senior Member+
 
lindsay ormerod's Avatar
 

Re: Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Thats a shame John, i'm very much like you and love my Cheese and as i dont go out as much now, i tend to get a small selection of Cheese for weekend evenings along with some nice vino. I found a nice Cheese shop in Clitheroe not long ago called Cheese Tchaikovsky, its only a small place but she stocks a really good selection of Cheeses many of which you wont get in the Supermarkets, she does other deli things too, and bakes her own bread 2 or 3 days a week. I got some Calvados Camembert there a couple of weeks back....wow was that a flavoursome cheese!! Its washed in Calvados which helps create the rind and gives it a really distinct flavour, very pungent too....lets say you know you've got it in the house!!! I try just to eat cheese at weekends though as i had put on a bit of weight, which i'm now working off at the Gym!!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Good stall in Accy market now, indoor, if you use the entrance next to the fruit market and walk past a couple of butchers it's on your right, opposite nasty shoe stall! Lady there is really helpful, lets you try any cheese you fancy.
__________________
"Cover up those table legs Mother, they are inflaming my sexual ardour ! "
lindsay ormerod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:33   #15
Senior Member+
 
Taggy's Avatar
 

Re: Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
Good stall in Accy market now, indoor, if you use the entrance next to the fruit market and walk past a couple of butchers it's on your right, opposite nasty shoe stall! Lady there is really helpful, lets you try any cheese you fancy.
Yeh i've used that one Lindsay, very nice lady who runs that, and i've bought a few cheeses from her, but they still seem to be the more basic cheeses which you can get from a Supermarket that she sells, although some of them are of better quality, for example much prefer the Crumbly Lancs she sells, compared to what Asda sells, although of course Asda is cheaper. She doesn't sell the more unusual and indeed stronger cheeses which i can get from the clitheroe shop, but i suppose its all down to what will sell in certain areas.

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools



Other sites of interest.. More town sites..




All times are GMT. The time now is 19:21.


2003-2013 AccringtonWeb.com


Page generated in 0.26970 seconds with 11 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1