Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-03-2013, 09:17   #61

Re: Chris Huhne

Huhne and Pryce will have to pay the Prosecution's costs. The judge has adjourned the assessment of the amount to a future date. Additionally, ought there not to be some procedure to make wealthy prisoners pay the costs of their imprisonment?
cashman likes this.
Balbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-03-2013, 09:32   #62
JCB

I can't any point in the imprisonment of Chris Huhne and his ex-wife . Certainly for Chris Huhne the personal consequences of his actions are more than punishment enough for his crime .

Neither are a threat to the public , so why imprison them ? Surely some alternative sentence would have been more fitting .

Each week in the Accrington Observer I read of people who are a threat to the public , or at least are a darned nuisance to the public , but they appear to get off almost scot-free .

The wrong people are being put behind bars , certainly in the Huhne case .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 09:36   #63
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
I can't any point in the imprisonment of Chris Huhne and his ex-wife . Certainly for Chris Huhne the personal consequences of his actions are more than punishment enough for his crime .

Neither are a threat to the public , so why imprison them ? Surely some alternative sentence would have been more fitting .

Each week in the Accrington Observer I read of people who are a threat to the public , or at least are a darned nuisance to the public , but they appear to get off almost scot-free .

They were jail for perverting the course of justice which always has been a jailable offence Colin, might make them both think again before even attempting to do it again
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 09:43   #64
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post

Have to disagree big time J.C.B. Tis a very serious thing,perverting course of justice, if everyone got away wi such an offence, anarchy is the next step. The fact people get away wi stuff who are a danger to the public,is a different issue altogether
Old 13-03-2013, 10:42   #65
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
And its never been the other way round Margaret
I haven't said that either. We were discussing this case...not(to my certain knowledge) any other incidences where partners have taken revenge on each other, when they(feel) have been badly treated....though I do know of incidents where it has happened both male and female.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 10:45   #66
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Quite agree, if it had been you or me cashy we'd have got double the sentence
And it would not have taken anything like the time it did to come to court....it would have been done and dusted and you would have served yoursentence and been out by now.
It is interesting to note that because the sentence in less than 12 months it will not disbar him from his political aspirations. Talk about power and influence, eh?
Old 13-03-2013, 11:55   #67
God Member

the reason why they went to prison is because it was a very public case and something had to be seen to be done.If it hadnt been all over the news and press i doubt they would have gone to prison and walked away with a fine.

i suppose it gives the public the illusion that polititions arnt untouchable but so many of them are walking around free without even been charged for their crime of fraud over expenses.I forget the guys name but the guy whos decision it was to launch a criminal investigation into fraud over expenses is guilty of it himself so its no wonder he decided against it.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 12:47   #68
Beacon of light

Accyman, I think you are right on that....and I think that CH thought it would all be swept under the carpet, and it might have been, if it had not been for the press pursuing the case.
It took the CPS ages to determine whether the case should go to court or not, which smacks of people in power trying to pull strings....if it were me or you then it would have been done and dusted quick sticks.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..