Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree548Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2013, 07:32   #151
Senior Member+

Re: Christian Science

I for one hope he doesn't reply to your post dotti. (Though it is an excellent one)
Old 11-11-2013, 08:31   #152
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by K99WARD View Post
Margaret wants to know a bit about me so here goes. I am just a plain ordinary bible believing Christian like Billy Graham. I try to read well so that you lot can't seriously trip me up. You may be a bit upset because my creed is not yours. I don't support Accrington Stanley, not because I have anything against them but I am not interested in football. Well I guess that's all you need to know. I was very happily married for twenty seven years until the death of my wife. I loved her so much that I haven't looked at another woman since except perhaps to say hello or good morning.
Like you, I have no interest in sport.....of any description.
Neither do I have any interest in reading stuff from an old book......in which the accounts may or may not be true...... And in any case, the text has been translated so many times it is possible for those translators to (innocently) translated what they thought was meant. We are all aware that some things do not translate well from one language to another.
If you see it as the word of God.....then that is ok by me as long as you don't expect me to believe it.

When God actually speaks to you......then do us all a favour, record the conversation and let us hear it.
You then, just might have something that will grab our attention.

On another matter entirely, but sort of linked. I can avoid all the posts about Accrington Stanley, and other sports....They have separate sections of the forum dedicated to the like minded souls who like that kind of stuff.
In general chat, you can't avoid stuff in the same way.....humans are curious and will look at much of what is posted in this section.Why don't you see if you can have a section dedicated to what seems to please you the most?

I have to say, I don't think there would be anybody in there besides you.
Or better still why don't you see if there is a site that better suits your purpose......something like EvangelistsRus!
Old 11-11-2013, 08:56   #153
Resting in Peace

Not another holier than thou dip sticksod off
Old 11-11-2013, 09:10   #154
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Not another holier than thou dip sticksod off
Careful Jay, he keeps a copy of the site rules as a bookmark in his Bible, bad enough he threatens us with the wrath of God, but you know you'll be in real trouble if the mods get involved.
Boeing Guy and susie123 like this.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:13   #155
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Careful Jay, he keeps a copy of the site rules as a bookmark in his Bible, bad enough he threatens us with the wrath of God, but you know you'll be in real trouble if the mods get involved.
never thought of that Less, gods a push over, but Mike or Neil on a Monday morning
Boeing Guy and susie123 like this.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:01   #156
Beacon of light

Quote:
I am glad that you at least think about going to church Margaret but very much more is required than just thinking. The bible says, "ye must be born again."

'Going to church doesn't make you a christian, any more than standing in a garage makes you a car'

I cannot take the credit for this quote it is something I read somewhere along the way my life has taken...I don't know who wrote it.
I tried to find it yesterday..but couldn't.
Reading the bible and spouting it to those who don't want to listen doesn't make you a christian either.
Less, jaysay, MargaretR and 1 others like this.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:57   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
'Going to church doesn't make you a christian, any more than standing in a garage makes you a car'

I cannot take the credit for this quote it is something I read somewhere along the way my life has taken...I don't know who wrote it.
I tried to find it yesterday..but couldn't.
Reading the bible and spouting it to those who don't want to listen doesn't make you a christian either.
Hi Margaret,

You seem to be quite against religion despite the following facts:

Key facts about the Church of England:

Church attendance and visits

1.7 million people take part in a Church of England service each month, a level that has been maintained since the turn of the millennium. Approximately one million participate each Sunday.

Approaching 3 million people participate in a Church of England service on Christmas Day or Christmas Eve. Thirty-five per cent of the population attend a Christmas service of some sort, rising to 42 per cent in London, nationally, and 22 per cent among those of non-Christian faiths.

The Church of England has the largest following of any denomination or faith in Britain today. More than 4 in 10 in England regard themselves as belonging to the Church of England, while 6 in 10 consider themselves Christian.

People support their local churches in many different ways at different points in their lives. Each year 3 in 10 attend regular Sunday worship and more than 4 in 10 attend a wedding in their local church, while still more attend a funeral there.

In 2009, 43 per cent of adults attended a church or place of worship for a memorial service for someone who has died and 17 per cent were seeking a quiet space. Both these proportions are increases on 22 per cent and 12 per cent respectively in 2001.

85 per cent of the population visit a church or place of worship in the course of a year, for reasons ranging from participating in worship to attending social events or simply wanting a quiet space.

Every year, around 12 million people visit Church of England cathedrals, including 300,000 pupils on school visits. Three of England's top five historic 'visitor attractions' are York Minster, Canterbury Cathedral and Westminster Abbey.

Sorry it didn't come out as a table. One wonders why you visit this thread when you are so against Christianity. Perhaps you would like to give us the lowdown on your religion. I for one would be interested. It will give me the opportunity of doing some research on it.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:59   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Physician heal thyself.
Old 11-11-2013, 13:06   #159
Beacon of light

You misrepresent me yet again.
I have not said that I am against religion. That is an assumption you, yourself have made.
My spirituality is my business, it has nothing at all to do with you.
It is not something I care to discuss on an open forum. I would never discuss my beliefs, they are private.
Please do me the courtesy of not putting words into my mouth that I haven't said.
You do not know me well enough.
susie123 likes this.
Old 11-11-2013, 13:09   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Like you, I have no interest in sport.....of any description.
Neither do I have any interest in reading stuff from an old book......in which the accounts may or may not be true...... And in any case, the text has been translated so many times it is possible for those translators to (innocently) translated what they thought was meant. We are all aware that some things do not translate well from one language to another.
If you see it as the word of God.....then that is ok by me as long as you don't expect me to believe it.

When God actually speaks to you......then do us all a favour, record the conversation and let us hear it.
You then, just might have something that will grab our attention.

On another matter entirely, but sort of linked. I can avoid all the posts about Accrington Stanley, and other sports....They have separate sections of the forum dedicated to the like minded souls who like that kind of stuff.
In general chat, you can't avoid stuff in the same way.....humans are curious and will look at much of what is posted in this section.Why don't you see if you can have a section dedicated to what seems to please you the most?

I have to say, I don't think there would be anybody in there besides you.
Or better still why don't you see if there is a site that better suits your purpose......something like EvangelistsRus!
An interesting post Margaret but does an airline pilot check the date on his flight manual before he takes the joystick? I think not. Some documents are important regardless of age, especially ones concerning YOUR eternal welfare. Better watch out. You might die in bed tonight.
Old 11-11-2013, 13:12   #161
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Physician heal thyself.
Hi Kevin,

Still talking rot aren't you? I can turn wine into water, I have even been tempted by the devil outside my local pub, I said, 'get thee behind me Satan and push me in'.

However, my eye doesn't offend me so I'll leave it where it is.

If anyone needs to find a cure it must be you, all that on site religious diarrhea you keep spouting must be taking it out of you.
Old 11-11-2013, 13:14   #162
Senior Member+

I can also turn alcoholic products into water, though its rather yellow in colour
Old 11-11-2013, 13:15   #163
Beacon of light

Never having been an airline pilot, I cannot answer your question....and it is a very poor analogy that you use to illustrate a point.
Your comment does not address the number of times the book you refer to, has been translated or to any possibility that some things simply do not tranlate well into other languages, or to the veracity of the translators. these things have to be considered.

If I die in bed tonight you need not worry about my eternal welfare, and neither do I.
(You really are a peal of Joybells aren't you)
Old 11-11-2013, 13:16   #164
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
I can also turn alcoholic products into water, though its rather yellow in colour
Rob...just don't make me any tea with that water
Boeing Guy and Restless like this.
Old 11-11-2013, 13:17   #165
Senior Member+

Quote:
An interesting post Margaret but does an airline pilot check the date on his flight manual before he takes the joystick? I think not. Some documents are important regardless of age, especially ones concerning YOUR eternal welfare. Better watch out. You might die in bed tonight.
You had better ask BG, sorry Boeing Guy, about the flight manual, my bet is that he does check it.
Boeing Guy likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..