Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree548Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2013, 18:44   #91
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Christian Science

Quote:
Originally Posted by K99WARD View Post
Hi Eric,
Nice to see you.

Have a nice day
Now that wasn't very Christian was it?

I hope you feel really proud of yourself, having given in to temptation so easily, you will find the bouncer at the pearly gates won't have you on his list.
Brace yourself for the red hot poker of eternal shame.
Accrington Web
Old 10-11-2013, 19:07   #92
Senior Member+

Starting to think you are right Less. BURN all the newbs
Old 10-11-2013, 19:11   #93

"Engaging the Closed Minded" by Dan Story

In the late 1970s, while living in San Diego, my wife and I became good friends with neighbors across the street. We had a lot in common: we were about the same age, our kids got along well, and we enjoyed playing games and going backpacking together.
The wife, I’ll call her “Cindy,” was a third-generation Christian Scientist. Her husband, “Jeff,” I can best describe as an I-couldn’t-care-less-about-religion secular humanist. At the time, I was pretty much an “Easter Sunday Christian” (that’s normally when I attended church), and, as far as I knew, Christian Science was just another Christian denomination that liked science!
Eventually, both our families moved out of town. We moved to a rural community twenty-five miles away, and Jeff and Cindy moved to central California. A few years later, however, they returned to the San Diego area.
During the interim between our friends’ move to central California and their return to San Diego, I became a Christian and returned to college, eventually earning a Master of Arts degree in Christian apologetics. So by the time Jeff and Cindy returned to Southern California, I knew that Christian Science was a cult—and I was eager for a confrontation.
The opportunity came one evening when we invited them over for supper. After eating we went outside to sit on our deck. I immediately unsheathed my apologetic sword and plunged into battle. The result was disastrous.
It wasn’t that I failed to give a good account of myself. With little effort, I cut to shreds Cindy’s erroneous beliefs. I deftly pared her objections to Christianity while skillfully slicing away her defenses of Christian Science. She had no answers to my challenges, no rebuttal to my facts. I did my job, all right. In my mind’s eye, she had to admit that, at best, she was simply deceived by an inane cult, and, at worst, she was a naive buffoon.
She did neither. And we never heard from Cindy and Jeff again.

Story, D. (1999). Engaging the closed minded: presenting your faith to the confirmed unbeliever (pp. 7–8). Grand Rapids, MI: Kregel Publications.
Old 10-11-2013, 19:12   #94
Senior Member+

Do you know god is a backward DOG
Old 10-11-2013, 19:25   #95

Christian Science

Quote:
"Engaging the Closed Minded" by Dan Story
No wonder that Christian site closed, why on Earth do you copy and paste all this carp?
Room on the servers costs money, please think before you post or this site will have no room for the real virtual world as well as yours.
Old 10-11-2013, 19:34   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Now that wasn't very Christian was it?

I hope you feel really proud of yourself, having given in to temptation so easily, you will find the bouncer at the pearly gates won't have you on his list.
Brace yourself for the red hot poker of eternal shame.
Hi Less,
"Being a Christian" is about following Christ. It has nothing to do with being good as I have explained in an earlier post. I really ought to say, "wake up at the back there," but I won't. I my opinion, anybody who is offended by a greeting should move south of the Watford Gap where they all detest greetings. Up North where we all eat tripe, cow heels and pigs trotters to say nothing of Bury black puddings and wear flat caps, ought at least be civil to each other and field rational arguments (no 'e').

So there ........

Last edited by K99WARD; 10-11-2013 at 19:36.
Old 10-11-2013, 19:56   #97
Senior Member+

Quote:
Hi Less,
Up North where we all eat tripe, cow heels and pigs trotters to say nothing of Bury black puddings and wear flat caps, ought at least be civil to each other and field rational arguments (no 'e').

So there ........
Don't include me in your statement, we don't all eat pigs trotters, tripe, cow heels or black puddings, I for one certainly don't.
Old 10-11-2013, 19:58   #98
JFT96

Me too and Mrs BG is a veggie

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Old 10-11-2013, 20:04   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
So if you're not supposed to mix with us Philistines & heathens, why are you still here preaching?
Hi Dave in squareheadland. This is not a criticism. They really do have square heads. We once had an exchange German student at school but I wouldn't speak to her. After starting two world wars (I'm sure she wasn't responsible) but today is Remembrance Sunday when we remember our dead (all the ones they killed or maimed). I spent my childhood hiding in a celar while the sirens wailed and the German bombers roared overhead. We were not the targets except for a few strays. It was the innocent children of Manchester who were the ones to cop it.

St Paul told us that we couldn't escape the world because we live it. We are COMMANDED to tell the gospel. Nothing further is required of us. We do not save anybody like the mass majority like to scoff. Ours is the job of a messenger and the news we deliver is known as the Good News. It is good news to the saved but to the unregenerate majority it is bad news because it speaks of their unforgiven sins and tells of a future judgment. It need not be a condemnation but it is because they will not repent.

Jesus said, "I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish."

Last edited by K99WARD; 10-11-2013 at 20:08.
Old 10-11-2013, 20:06   #100
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
pigs trotters, tripe, cow heels or black puddings
Speaking of which, wasn't there something about Christians not consuming "blood of the beasts"?

And also while on the subject, Mick I see you're looking in, is this fella "Kosher"? There seems to be something eerily familiar to this approach.
Old 10-11-2013, 20:10   #101

Christian Science

Quote:
Hi Less,
"Being a Christian" is about following Christ. It has nothing to do with being good as I have explained in an earlier post. I really ought to say, "wake up at the back there," but I won't. I my opinion, anybody who is offended by a greeting should move south of the Watford Gap where they all detest greetings. Up North where we all eat tripe, cow heels and pigs trotters to say nothing of Bury black puddings and wear flat caps, ought at least be civil to each other and field rational arguments (no 'e').

So there ........
Do you know, all of a sudden I feel really sorry for you.
After a days worth of religious pap, I didn't think you could get any worse, well, you proved me wrong.
Anyone that can put the above out for the whole world to see, really should be offered the comfort of sympathetic ears. To help lessen your pain.
Here's the bit that makes me feel sorry for you, you won't find such reassurance on this site.
Old 10-11-2013, 20:18   #102
Senior Member+

Quote:
...I may get lost and never return....
Old 10-11-2013, 20:21   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Do you know, all of a sudden I feel really sorry for you.
After a days worth of religious pap, I didn't think you could get any worse, well, you proved me wrong.
Anyone that can put the above out for the whole world to see, really should be offered the comfort of sympathetic ears. To help lessen your pain.
Here's the bit that makes me feel sorry for you, you won't find such reassurance on this site.
A friend of mine used to say, "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink," but would then add as a rider with a twinkle in his eye, "but you can make it wish it had."
Old 10-11-2013, 20:22   #104
JFT96

Let me get this straight. During the Second World War, the German public were not innocent only our children, because thats what your insinuating.
Don't get me wrong my Grandparents were involved in the war, one of whom saw action at Nijmegan and wss amoung the first Allied Soldiers into Belsen. But that was the past, your comments are rather bigoted to say the least.
When I visited Ghana, with work, we visited a Slave Museum with our guide. I felt ashamed, even though it was in the past, much like the Nazi Attrocoties are.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Old 10-11-2013, 20:23   #105

Christian Science

Quote:
A friend of mine used to say, "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink," but would then add as a rider with a twinkle in his eye, "but you can make it wish it had."
Whaaaat?

You had a friend?
Closed Thread

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..